August Club Run - Monache Meadows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice to meet many of you at the meeting Yesterday. I'll be heading up from Mission Viejo @ 12pm on Friday, my rough ETA to the blackrock station is ~4:45 PM. The suggested campsite by ~5:45pm

I believe I may be meeting up with Brandon as it seems Marc wants to leave earlier in the morning on Friday than some of us are able. Marc would you consider leaving a bit later? If not, no worries.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

BTW - I have my handheld Ham radio set to frequency 146.460. I know we have a variety of radios, and some may have frequency limitations. Will you please check any radios you plan to bring, and if there is a preferred, or frequency in common, that we can use, please advise me.

Also, I'll have my CB with me. Anyone else on CB only? How about channel 7? Thanks!

Which of you will be bringing Ham radios? Marc Mason has 2 handhelds (1 he'll use, and 1 he's willing to loan) with limited channel capabilities. One of the channels he can access is 151.625. I've programmed that number into my handheld, but have not tested it yet. Would that channel work for all others who'll have radios? More importantly, is there anyone for whom that channel will NOT work?

I have a HAM and I believe I can reach that channel.

EDIT: Confirmed Can reach channel. I have two of these and could spare one as well.

Last edited:
151.625 is outside the 2M band plan of 144-148mhz. Technician class can legally operate there and the 430mhz . My Yaesu will not operate there. I get ERROR if I try 151.625. I can get on my cheap Chinese Woxun (similar to the Baofeng).
I'd prefer to stay within 144-148 and use the ham radio in the truck. The cheap Chinese radios will operate there.

Any restrictions from authorities on camp fires?

Nice to meet many of you at the meeting Yesterday. I'll be heading up from Mission Viejo @ 12pm on Friday, my rough ETA to the blackrock station is ~4:45 PM. The suggested campsite by ~5:45pm

I believe I may be meeting up with Brandon as it seems Marc wants to leave earlier in the morning on Friday than some of us are able. Marc would you consider leaving a bit later? If not, no worries.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

I will be heading out with Jared on Friday mid day, estimated time of arrival to the ranger station is probably closer to 5pm or so, campsite, maybe 6-7 depending on how long it takes to get out there from the ranger station. If Marc is able to leave a little later with us, that would be awesome! If not, no worries, im sure Jared and i can find our way to the campsite.

See you there!

-Brandon

BTW - I have my handheld Ham radio set to frequency 146.460. I know we have a variety of radios, and some may have frequency limitations. Will you please check any radios you plan to bring, and if there is a preferred, or frequency in common, that we can use, please advise me.

Also, I'll have my CB with me. Anyone else on CB only? How about channel 7? Thanks!

Joe,

I also have a HAM, the Baofeng and am able to reach 146.460. My friend who will join our friday caravan also has the same radio and will be able to communicate via that frequency. Please let us know what the official frequency is before you head up there!

P.S. anyone know what the range of these radios is in this kind of terrain?

Joe,

I also have a HAM, the Baofeng and am able to reach 146.460. My friend who will join our friday caravan also has the same radio and will be able to communicate via that frequency. Please let us know what the official frequency is before you head up there!

P.S. anyone know what the range of these radios is in this kind of terrain?

The range of VHF frequencies over flat terrain a the power of the baofeng type radios (2-5 watts) is roughly 4-6 miles. Elevation changes / metal are your biggest obstacles, but trees and other things should reflect enough for transmission at the same relative elevation

Mountains around Monache Meadows will limit the Baofeng's as stated. That being said, did a little experiment a few years ago with truck mounted radio running 50 watts and a longer antenna. We could 'barely' reach the river campsites from Blackrock station. We're not going to be in quite that far into the meadow as the river sites, but I wouldn't expect to get the campsite from Blackrock with the handheld units. Maybe with a truck mount.

Hi all - latest update a/o 8/4/20, 4:00 PM

Radios - Tested 151.625 with a "locked 10-channel" radio. Both transmission & reception worked in the city, out of line-of-sight, about ½ to 1 mile away. I'll keep that frequency until I link up with Marc & any who join his group, ETA should be late morning on Friday. As soon as we link up, I'll switch to 146.460, and begin monitoring for group with 6:00-7:00 PM Friday ETA. Will keep that channel until all arrive (not sure if Saturday AM arrivals will have radios) & link up. At that point, we can review options for trail/camp comms, if desired. I think even with limited range, we'll be fine in the meadow area. I'm not worried about losing anybody on the trail, as it's fairly mild. I just don't want use driving the meadow trail network looking for each other, and just missing contact.

RSVP Roster -
  • Joe, Robin , and Danny Roy (Thursday)
  • David Slingluff (Thursday, maybe)
  • Achilles Young (Thursday)
  • Marc Mason (Friday)
  • Jared & Virginia (Friday)
  • Alan F. (Friday)
  • Kaitlyn & Rich Petrulio (Friday)
  • Robert McNamee (Friday)
  • Brent Adams (Friday, maybe)
  • Brandon (Friday)
  • Dwaine Mitchell - Still need you to pick your departure to ensure link-up, thanks!
  • Patrick Goddard (Saturday)
  • Brandon's friend (Saturday, maybe)
Expecting 9-13 rigs

Campfires - I just confirmed with the Forest Service that campfires are not allowed this year in Monache Meadows area, because there are no "developed" campsites there. Closest legal campfire area is Fish Creek Campground. That said, I've been there twice this year already, and on both occasions saw multiple campsites with active campfires. On my last trip, a ranger stopped at a camp with an active fire (it was dark enough that he could surely see it) and chatted for a bit with the occupants. He never mentioned the campfire. So, bottom line - campfire starters beware...

Any restrictions from authorities on camp fires?
I just confirmed with the Forest Service that campfires are not allowed this year in Monache Meadows area, because there are no "developed" campsites there. Closest legal campfire area is Fish Creek Campground. That said, I've been there twice this year already, and on both occasions saw multiple campsites with active campfires. On my last trip, a ranger stopped at a camp with an active fire (it was dark enough that he could surely see it) and chatted for a bit with the occupants. He never mentioned the campfire. So, bottom line - campfire starters beware...

I've got a propane fire pit. That'd probably be ok as there'd be no ashes, no nothing. Like a propane stove! Happy to bring it. It's more for ambiance than heat!!!

Hey all,

Just wanted to put it out there, that Jared, myself, and my friend Evan will be caravaning up Friday around noon. We aim to leave the area around 12 noon which puts us up at the ranger station around 4:45-5:15pm and into camp by around 6-7pm. We are planning to meet at 1pm at the 5 and 14 fwy junction, just off the 14 at a Carl's Jr. Here is the address: 20425 Newhall Ave, Newhall, CA 91321. The three vehicles have HAM communications and will be on the 146.460 frequency once we get off the hwy. If anyone else going up Friday would like to caravan with us, just let me or Jared know! Otherwise see you all in Monache Meadows!

-Brandon

Who was leaving earlier Friday? What time and where from? I'm very familiar with the route, so no problem if we don't meet up. I'm in south OC.

Looks like work is getting in the way. I’ll check back Thursday

Who was leaving earlier Friday? What time and where from? I'm very familiar with the route, so no problem if we don't meet up. I'm in south OC.
Marc Mason (OC Cruiser 97), Allan Faragallah, Robert McNamee, and Rich & Kaitlyn Petrulio are all planning to leave early Friday. Marc is in Costa Mesa, Rich is in the Trabuco Cyn area, and Robert is in Silverado Cyn. I'm hoping you can caravan with them, as it'll be easier to link up with a group, rather than being on the lookout for stragglers. If it doesn't work out to caravan, my radio plans are in post #31. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Hi all - latest update a/o 8/5/20, 9:30 PM

Radios - Tested 151.625 with a "locked 10-channel" radio. Both transmission & reception worked in the city, out of line-of-sight, about ½ to 1 mile away. I'll keep that frequency until I link up with Marc & any who join his group, ETA should be late morning on Friday. As soon as we link up, I'll switch to 146.460, and begin monitoring for group with 6:00-7:00 PM Friday ETA. Will keep that channel until all arrive (not sure if Saturday AM arrivals will have radios) & link up. At that point, we can review options for trail/camp comms, if desired. I think even with limited range, we'll be fine in the meadow area. I'm not worried about losing anybody on the trail, as it's fairly mild. I just don't want us driving the meadow trail network looking for each other, and just missing contact.

GPS coordinates for 1st choice camping (if it'll handle a group this big, and if it's available), and confirmed meeting spot are: 36.20747, -118.17639.

RSVP Roster -
  • Joe, Robin , and Danny Roy (Thursday)
  • Achilles Young (Thursday)
  • Marc Mason (Friday, early)
  • Alan F. (Friday, early)
  • Kaitlyn & Rich Petrulio (Friday, early)
  • Robert McNamee (Friday, early)
  • Brent Adams (Friday, early)
  • Jared & Virginia (Friday, midday)
  • Brandon (Friday, midday)
  • Dwaine Mitchell - Still need you to pick your departure to ensure link-up, thanks!
  • Patrick Goddard (Saturday)
  • Brandon's friend (Saturday, maybe)
Expecting 12 rigs, will do my best to pick an area that will accommodate all rigs, with not too much distance between. Wish me luck! See you all up there!

Great trip, great people and wonderful weather. It was nice getting out again! Been way too long.

Had an awesome time Joe, first time going out with the club and being in Monache and both exceeded my expectations. Look forward to the next ones.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom