Are the Total Chaos UCA worth it? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a OME lift on my 98 Tacoma and the ball joint angle is bad they look like they are going to pop out not to stoked on my CV angle either. I can't see how they will last 6 months at the current angle. Will after market UCA's fix this problem ? Any help would be great.

Somehow lost track of this thread. Good to read all the details. Another UCA make I have seen in action is from Australia , Superior engineering. So essentially we have 3 brands to choose from ... TC, SPC & SE ;):)

Somehow lost track of this thread. Good to read all the details. Another UCA make I have seen in action is from Australia , Superior engineering. So essentially we have 3 brands to choose from ... TC, SPC & SE ;):)

Actually, we have at least 5 brands to choose from. Icon Vehicle Dynamics also makes a billet UCA and Brenthel Industries "Baja Kits" make both the UCA and LCA. These will be going on my LC tomorrow!

Actually, we have at least 5 brands to choose from. Icon Vehicle Dynamics also makes a billet UCA and Brenthel Industries "Baja Kits" make both the UCA and LCA. These will be going on my LC tomorrow!

Super @usmcHOG please do share pics and your experiences .. and thanks for updating the thread :)

Here's a heads up: SPC arms are having real problems just now downunder with the joints rusting out. Apparently SPC are bringing out a greasable replacement due to multiple failures. I would stay well clear of SPC arms until this is sorted out and if you have them installed do yourself a favour and get them checked out. Not the sort of thing you want happening while getting along at a clip.

Perhaps Slee will know more on this. Apparently the ball joints are made in China and the rest of the arm fabricated in US?

Here's a pic of the replacement part they are bringing out - posted by Fab down on Lcool (also in his photobucket are pics of the joint failure)

25002ill.jpg

DSC_3952.jpg

DSC_3948.jpg

Last edited:
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. In my experience SPC makes a much needed product at a decent price point. They're customer service is awesome and they seem to always be evolving their product for the better. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have a large enough R&D budget to test their stuff out before it goes to market so the kinks seem to get worked out only based on consumer feedback. I swapped out my SPC 4Runner UCA's for Total Chaos a few years ago and never looked back...

I swapped mine out for the newer design months ago - the deal with the SPC is its a sealed unit and the TC's are not. IF you're the kind of person who thinks about cleaning a UCA ball joint and the area around it then it should be much of a maintenance issue - I decided the SPC was a better design and stayed with them and updated to their new release. Another benefit to the SPC is you can turn / rotate the ball joint 180 degrees to gain more clearance between the tire and UCA if you're running fatties (12.5 - 13" tires). Your alignment shop can adjust the cam bolt on the bottom of your LCA to line it all up. NOt sure the Fixed TC offers that - someone may know better

Now being able to grease that ball joint is a real plus - I know this is a TC thread ( and not knocking TC) just throwing that SPC info out there for those who still undecided.

Last edited:
Here's a heads up: SPC arms are having real problems just now downunder with the joints rusting out. Apparently SPC are bringing out a greasable replacement due to multiple failures. I would stay well clear of SPC arms until this is sorted out and if you have them installed do yourself a favour and get them checked out. Not the sort of thing you want happening while getting along at a clip.

Perhaps Slee will know more on this. Apparently the ball joints are made in China and the rest of the arm fabricated in US?

Here's a pic of the replacement part they are bringing out - posted by Fab down on Lcool (also in his photobucket are pics of the joint failure)

25002ill.jpg

DSC_3952.jpg

DSC_3948.jpg

When I was at Slee in August...he had already received replacements from SPC, and he had his guys install them. I paid him for the time, which I think is fair, but SPC provided the parts for free.

Still a fan of SPC, quiet, super adjustable and solid. The upgraded joints resolved any issues they were having. We have the upgraded joints here in stock but I'm still running the older on my personal 200. I'm yet to see a failure or issue firsthand.

Still a fan of SPC, quiet, super adjustable and solid. The upgraded joints resolved any issues they were having. We have the upgraded joints here in stock but I'm still running the older on my personal 200. I'm yet to see a failure or issue firsthand.

I hear ya on waiting for a problem. Christo knew I was 1100 miles from home, though and about to hit Ouray for four days though, so I appreciated the late night fix...the night before the 200 group thang.

Ima gonna have to swing by your shop sometime, Cruiser, next time I'm in a road trip out yonder. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom