Are headlights different on for different years? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a passenger side headlight for my 94. I figured they were all the same for all the years. But is there any difference in them over the years?

I am looking for a passenger side headlight for my 94. I figured they were all the same for all the years. But is there any difference in them over the years?
Yes, be sure to avoid LX450 lights

Not to hijack thread but I swear my 94 replacement glass is slightly smoked/tinted and my original is clear. Both OEM / Toyota. It not bother but I look slightly asynchronous.

The headlights for the Toyota badged grill have a different shape than the 95-97 T sombrero grille.

The inside vertical surface of the lights matches up with the curvature/line of the outside edge of the grille for each generation.

The other Toyota lights bolt up and work mix and match, but have a slightly different line that doesn't look quite right.

My '94 came with one of each generation of headlight, and I was fortunate to find someone willing to trade.

I suspect you could fit either generation of lights and grille in any 80, as long as you match both headlights and grille from the same generation.

I don't have any LX experience to offer.

Not to hijack thread but I swear my 94 replacement glass is slightly smoked/tinted and my original is clear. Both OEM / Toyota. It not bother but I look slightly asynchronous.
This! The reflector bowl portion on the replaced headlight (after accident) on my 94 appears hazy.

91-94 lights:

IMG_1063.jpeg

95-97 lights:

IMG_1064.jpeg

if I remember correctly, the 95-97 lights will work on a 91-94, but you have to cut a piece of plastic off the grille mounting tab, because of this, the 91-94 won't work on a 95-97.

the LC lights go like this (same glass):

/ grille \

the LX lights go like this (different glass):

\ grille /

Thank you learned something today. My left is original 94 and the right replacement a 95-97. Off balance visually a bit but given availability not going worry.

91-94 lights:

View attachment 3415197

95-97 lights:

View attachment 3415198

if I remember correctly, the 95-97 lights will work on a 91-94, but you have to cut a piece of plastic off the grille mounting tab, because of this, the 91-94 won't work on a 95-97.

the LC lights go like this (same glass):

/ grille \

the LX lights go like this (different glass):

\ grille /
Sorry to continue the hijack. I keep shifting back and forth between those images like I am playing a bar room nudie photo hunt and can't see the difference! Is there anything to distinguish between the year light types other than a clipped grill tag?

Sorry to continue the hijack. I keep shifting back and forth between those images like I am playing a bar room nudie photo hunt and can't see the difference! Is there anything to distinguish between the year light types other than a clipped grill tag?
Those pics are showing there is NO difference between LC light glass and therefore can work between, with the limitations mentioned. What’s NOT shown are LX lights, which are not interchangeable.

My swap glass is *definitely* a slightly different hue than the original. No question no doubt and I attributed to age wear or whatever. I thought the pics above the bottom looked darker but I'm off balance anyway these days. o_O

Those pics are showing there is NO difference between LC light glass and therefore can work between, with the limitations mentioned. What’s NOT shown are LX lights, which are not interchangeable.
There is absolutely a difference, even if isn't immediately obvious.

They aren't the same shape on the inside vertical edge. One is more vertical, the other is more curved. I'm not trying to start an argument, I've just had to deal with this. If you put the newer light on the older grille, it becomes quite obvious.

1693432593413.png
1693432602034.png

Here is my 94 grille with the later style headlight:

1693432919729.png

They aren't the same shape on the inside vertical edge. One is more vertical, the other is more curved. I'm not trying to start an argument, I've just had to deal with this. If you put the newer light on the older grille, it becomes quite obvious.

View attachment 3415511View attachment 3415512

Here is my 94 grille with the later style headlight:
Thats not a 95-97 LC light, that is an LX light. As mentioned, those are quite different.

Okay.

Three variants.

91-94
95-97 80 series
96-97 LX450

On the 80 the difference is grille-to-headlamp brackets. On the 450 it's the inner vertical slope of the lens as noted in post #7 above.

On my 94 the assembly was replaced circa 2010 by the dealer when the original was broken. OEM part but slight shade different. Left/driver is original and right is replacement. Not sure picture does justice but the replacement is slightly but noticeably darker glass.

lc.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom