Anyone Plow With Their Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pay my plow guy $1,000+ per year for snow removal (CT), so was considering mounting a snow plow for next winter. Has anyone done this, and if so, did you swap out springs/shocks? I currently have a stock 1994, but will probably have a 1998-2000 Cruiser by next winter.

Or, is this more trouble than it's worth?

An ARB w/ a Warn M12k weighs just under 200 lbs for reference and usually requires a heavy load spring to offset the added weight.

Plowing snow really tears a vehicle up. You may be better off getting an old 4wd pickup and using it as a dedicated plow vehicle. Getting a blade setup for a domestic pickup would be a lot easier as well. Take a good look at a vehicle that has been plowing for a few seasons and then visualize your 80 after that :eek:

One guy in Boston plowed into some people with his Cruiser after the super bowl.

Link

Parker21, I think that if you were only to do your own driveway the wear and tear would be small. However if you were conned into doing you neighbours driveways as well, you would soon find out why the guy clearing your drive charges what he does. Just to get you 80 set up to plow would be $$. My advice would be to look for a used skidsteer (bobcat), and use it for only your personal use. Would last forever and do a better job than a plow on a truck. I have a tractor with a snowblower on the back and am looking at the skidsteer option for next year.
Cheers,
Sean

It is a SIN to plow with a 80.
Get a Turd like vehicle and a used plow. Both should be had for less than the cost of a new plow for the 80.
The Turd can be had for $1600 but as you are a good guy $1000 will take it :D

If you look around, there are alot of beat up old trucks for about $1500 - $2500 with plows on them. Ya just need to ask around, and if the trucks not for sale, ask if they want to sell it. You'd be supprised what people will do for a $

dogg -- $1K a year for a plow contract -- where do you live? That's pretty lucrative stuff --

-- buy a 4-wheeler and stick a plow on it -- more fun --

:)

Try doing this with a 4-wheeler!

I doubt anyone makes a mount kit for the 80 - However, I think it would handle the chore quite well. Throw some heavy load OME on there and go... lockers are great when the plow vehicle goes further than it should. Realisticly? Buy a dedicated "beater" plow vehicle... or maybe try one of these http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/hs1132ta.htm I love my older HS828.

ok, thanks for the reality check.

I live on a private road with 7 other house; we each chip in $20 per plow for the main road and $60 for my driveway (aprox. 250 feet). We have the alternative of $80 per plow, or $320 per month December through March. I chose option A, and as those who live in the NE know, getting killed this year.

If you REAAAAALY want to plow with the cruiser, I've read that the 'pull plow' style is much better for the rig (picture a grader vs a plow) - as you are pulling vs pushing. It would be interesting if there was something that attached to the trailer hitch. That being said - you have a lot of stuff to plow, I also vote for the Mr Plow Chevy

Cheers, Hugh

Having contract plowed before, if you are determined to plow yourself get a dedicated plow vehicle. If it breaks, you still have something to drive. It is also a PITA having a plow hanging out in front of your vehicle to park and getting around in normal driving. Also don't think you can drive 60 mph or more with it on your vehicle. You can, but when something happens it will happen really fast with 500 lbs or more hanging out there. The manufacturers put disclaimers on their plows that 45 mph is top speed.

As for a vehicle get as heavy duty as you can. A lot of the principles of setting up your vehicle for off roading apply other than the lifting part. You want the weight of the truck behind the plow not above it. Solid axles are better than IFS and a torque monster engine helps a lot too.

By the way, plowing gets "old" real fast. It is pretty cool for while, but when you get a major dump and all your neighbors are calling you wondering why the road is not clear for them you will know what I mean. Good luck to you!!

You also have to worry about overheating. You don't get airflow with the blade on.
Just ask my boss. Someone drove the Heeptruck, with blade on, on the hwy and... he had to get a new motor.

Mr. Plow - that's the name
That name again is Mr. Plow

plowing with a ATV is a blast. That much snow would be fun, but not very productive with an ATV. While you can get a lot of other work done with an ATV, you can sure use a beater truck all year round as well. Depends on your neighbor situation. If they don't mind a big ugly truck in your yard if you help plow the road, then that's the ticket.

Parker,
Don't let everyone scare you out of your idea. I know several guys that plow with their 40's. Considering the weight of the 80, it would make a great plow vehicle. There is a landscaping/plow company in the next town that uses an 80 for plowing. Next time I see him, I'll get some info for you. I'm going that route for next winter as well.

Junk,
I wouldn't say we are scaring him out of the idea, just giving him food for thought. I needed a 4x4 and the only thing I could find was a BUF (Big Ugly Ford) that had a plow on it. Didn't want the plow, but it came with the truck. Then the snow came and I fell in love with plowing. Then I was talked into doing it for hire. Cool I thought. What a PITA!! You are up early, out late, things break just like wheeling, etc. That's just the reality of it. Here are a couple of other things to consider:

1) I did a quick check on all the major plow manufacturers and none of them list an 80 application. Doesn't mean you can't put one on, but you would have to fab your own frame setup.

2) Plowing works better with a big block torque motor. There are times that you need to just muscle the snow at a slow speed. I would question if a stock 80 could do that. Yes you can plow with a 40 and I have friends that plow with Jeeps, but they just don't cut it especially with heavy wet snow like what I plowed tonight.

3) A landscaping/plow company makes a lot of sense as you tear up the yard when you plow. Doesn't matter how good you get at plowing, there are times you are going to tear the sod to pieces.

4) Todd is correct. Nothing beats a beater plow truck for usage. Plow all winter with it and haul all the home improvement stuff with it during the summer. I will never be without a truck now.

Just some more thoughts, ideas or whatever you want to call it.

Darren

Get an old diesel 4x4 pickup and have a ball. The LC is not made for this work. You need Torque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom