Another Rear Bumper Build - Pic Heavy! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone -

I thought I'd create a post to document the rear bumper I just finished building. It'll be a long one, as I took quite a few pics during the process, but I figured it might help others looking to build something similar. I'll try to explain everything as I go, but feel free to ask any questions.

In case anyone is wondering, the spindle I used is the Heavy Duty Tire Carrier Hinge Kit with Double Shear Bracket from comp4x4.com, and the latch mechanism is this one from Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension. Side note: both products are highly recommended! Also, check out the video on the Poly product page for the latch to see how it works - they show it much better than I could.

Anyway, here's what I started with - a 3"x5" x 3/16" wall rectangle tube. Here I drew the cut lines for the angles on the side, and the center line for the hitch receiver.
IMG_1263-resized

Here's the first hole cut for the spindle sleeve, and the three holes for the double shear bracket.
IMG_1265-resized

Here it is after making the angle cuts with that little portaband you see in the background.
IMG_1267-resized

I then blind drilled and tapped these three pieces of round stock to serve as nuts for the double shear bracket bolts in order to keep the main bumper body sealed for air tank use.
IMG_1268-resized

(Partially) Welded in.
IMG_1270-resized

Hole cut for hitch receiver (with a f'n dremel! :doh:).
IMG_1332-resized

Hitch receiver slid in.
IMG_1334-resized

Welded and ground flush with the front of the tube.
IMG_1338-resized

A bung welded in and tapped for 1/4" NPT for the future air line.
IMG_1341-resized

I then went a little extravagant, and designed these on the computer then had these brackets cut out by a local waterjet guy. The top one (1/4" thick) is for the safety chains while towing, and the bottom two (3/4" thick!) are obviously the frame tie-ins and D-ring/shackle brackets. These pieces are really incredible though - the quality of the waterjet cut is second-to-none.
IMG_1347-resized

Here's the safety chain bracket welded to the back of the bumper along with some other bracing I just threw on there for the hell of it...
IMG_1356-resized

I then cut out the holes for the frame tie-in brackets - with a friend's plasma cutter this time! No more dremel BS for me...
IMG_1402-resized

Frame tie-in brackets welded in.
IMG_1403-resized

I then bent these plates to cap off the ends of the bumper.
IMG_1483-resized

Passenger side capped.
IMG_1485-resized

Driver side capped, with second hole drilled for spindle sleeve.
IMG_1484-resized

Spindle sleeve welded in, with spindle "press-fit" in sleeve during welding process.
IMG_1488-resized

Bottom tube of swingout portion welded on.
IMG_1576-resized

The latch mechanism I chose to use required the end of the swingout to be 1.75" round tube, so I got a piece, and slid about 4 or 5 inches of it into the 2"x2" x 1/8" wall square tube. After that, I fabbed up a little plate to cap off the open corners.
IMG_1578-resized

Last edited:
Continued...

Here it is with the plate welded on and ground smooth, and the round tube welded to it.
IMG_1579-resized

Here's the base of the latch mechanism.
IMG_1581-resized

Latch mechanism bolted on for test fit.
IMG_1584-resized

The base of the latch mechanism had this open hole at the front, so I quickly created a little plate to fill it, and then welded it in and ground it smooth.
IMG_1586-resized

IMG_1587-resized

I then got started on the tire carrier portion.
IMG_1589-resized

45 degree braces for tire carrier.
IMG_1591-resized

Given the great results I had with the previous pieces I had cut out by the waterjet, I designed the Scepter can carrier on the computer, and had those pieces cut out as well. I then took them to my friend's shop and used his brake to bend them as required. These 6 pieces...
IMG_1593-resized

... then became this:
IMG_1596-resized

I then took these three parts:
IMG_1597-resized

… And created this for mounting the spare tire. The hole in the center is for a third brake light.
IMG_1599-resized

Here it is welded on.
IMG_1602-resized

This bracket is for mounting a drill chuck to be used as a sand flag mount for those trips down to Pismo. (Idea stolen from another member!)
IMG_1603-resized

Here it is pretty much finished up…
IMG_1604-resized

And here’s some pics of the finished product!
IMG_1632-resized

Close-up of latch mechanism, and the bolts holding the license plate are LED’s:
IMG_1633-resized

Third brake light – LED’s obviously light up red.
IMG_1634-resized

Open:
IMG_1635-resized

‘Mud sand flag mount.
IMG_1636-resized

120 pound hydraulic lift support for holding the swingout open. Here, you can also see the wires for the lights ran through the tubing, and coming out at pivot point. It doesn’t really look like it, but the wires are sleeved in a mesh covering.
IMG_1637-resized

Close-up of double-shear spindle bracket.
IMG_1638-resized

Also, I should point out that the sides of the bumper don't stick out the side of the truck as far as it looks in these pics. It's a little wider than I would like, but the width was required due to the double shear bracket. Regardless, it doesn't look as bad in real life as it does in these pics! ;)

Anyway, I think that should be it. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Neil

Last edited:
woah great design.... and very clean !!!

Looks good! Turned out very nice. I like it.

That thing is beautiful

Very nice !!! Good skills!!!

Beautifully executed!
Use that extra width to your advantage when you add rear quarter protection.

Great idea, great execution and great write up and awesome photographs!!!!:cheers: think you should get copyright for your product before someone market your idea especially " 120 pound hydraulic lift support for holding the swing out open " i really admire your workmanship bro...:clap::clap::clap:

Very high speed low drag! Great workmanship!

Excellent work !

Napa ? Did ya move ?

Very nice! I like that you posted step by step, gives me some great insight for things to consider when building mine.

For sale?

Will you be building anymore of this fine art for sale?I'm only an hour away from Napa.great build up and awesome work.:D

That came out great! I'm digging your jerry can basket. Very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom