Alternator conversion ext regulated to internal using DXA430 80 amp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.
Looking for some guidance in converting alternator wiring.
New alternator has 3 wire connection .... IG which i assume is ignition L which is Charge light and S which is voltage sense.
I had a 6 wire regulator

So i am going to use original harness going to alternator ig reg to ig on alt L on reg to L on alt and i hope B on reg to S on alt.
Of course battery wire will be upgraded to carry extra amps.
I hope i have it right.
I have gleaned as much as i can from this site on previous posts regarding this and i am an electrician, so i have half a chance of getting it right.
All comments welcome.
Thankyou

I’m not sure about the wiring but tell us more about the alternator? Oem pulley? Belt?

The alternator is exact same design , construction as the original , same pulley and belt.
This is part of the reason why I choose it as installation would be easy.
Old alternator was 45 amps and was ok but power dipped when light bar went on.
Plus we tow a camper with an Anderson plug to charge 3 batteries in it.
New alternator is 80 amp and self regulated so hence my request.
All is going well but still trying to ascertain the charge light wire on the old harness at the old regular plug end.
Found ig and s wires.
Tony

Last edited:
SUCCESS!
So i thought i would show the progress and photos to the forum which helped along the way.
Special thanks to bj40green/rudi and RAGINGMATT from ih8mud forum and the Witzi from toymods.
OK here goes.
As stated alternator chosen was a DXA430 80 amp self regulated 3 wire.
Chosen because it had the same dimensions as the original and as such would be a bolt on replacement using all original hardware.

This is the pinouts at the rear of new alternator.

Next fitted the alt to engine easy as.
Did notice there was a small.. very small misalignment in pulleys, i will see how belt wears and I may have to change over pulley off original unit.
I will let you know.

The alt came with a small harness which i pulled apart one end to fit to another plug to adapt to the alt.

and the plug i used was married up to the existing loom.

Last edited:
Next came the old regulator harness mod.
These are the wires i had to sort and a big thanks goes to above.
The wire you see was me trying to get the correct wire connection for the charge light (large yellow/white wire).
When ignition was on and you ground this wire the charge light would come on, so when the engine started started it would turn it off.
I may be bold to presume that it is done by the alt via voltage being sent back to light.

The harness had a six pin rectangle plug so i just loop wired it back into the harness that went to the alt.

The wire colors chosen going to the alt via the old harness did not really matter as as you will see only one was , i thought, important and that was the sense wire.
This wire was slightly larger and i thought that it might be important to get correct voltage sensing without introducing volt drop.
OK the final photo.

OK this is how i did the wires at the alt.
The "L" terminal on alt, black wire i married up with the small blue wire in the old harness.
The "IG" terminal on alt, red wire I married up with the small green wire in the old harness.
The "S" terminal on alt, white wire I married up with the LARGE black wire in the old harness.

Then at the regulator harness end.
Connections where achieved via a loop wire from alt 3 wires to main harness 3 wires via the 6 wire plug.

Yellow/white wire seen on top pic was looped to the small blue wire under it.
This enabled the charge light to operate.

The white wire bottom was looped to the black wire.
This was for the voltage sense circuit to operate and was why i chose the large black wire.

The black/yellow wire was looped to the small green wire.
This was for the ignition circuit used to activate alternator.

All done, easy once you did your homework.
Also being an electrician helped.
Started engine and charge light went out and was a good sign all went well.
With engine at idle I turned the headlights with hi beam on, light bar and indicators no volt drop detected.
Raised rev to 2000 and small volt increase noticed.
This was all via dash volt gauge, as accurate for as old as it is.

Will be happy to help anyone with similar project.
This was a new alt and can be got on eBay for about $150 aus.
I had a plug set and crimpers at home but you could get them at local car part store.

Im glad to give back to this forum.
tony

HI Ol Fella,
I resume this thread as I'm planning to do the same on my HJ61, with 12HT 24 volt externally regulated with a new alternator internally regulated.
As I have some differences on regulator harness colors if i have I'd sure to have understand how you have made your loop.
E with B
F with IG
N with L
As Sense you have used the B wire correct?
Thank for any further information you can give me.
Paolo "pippi"

Next came the old regulator harness mod.
These are the wires i had to sort and a big thanks goes to above.
The wire you see was me trying to get the correct wire connection for the charge light (large yellow/white wire).
When ignition was on and you ground this wire the charge light would come on, so when the engine started started it would turn it off.
I may be bold to presume that it is done by the alt via voltage being sent back to light.

View attachment 1974632

The harness had a six pin rectangle plug so i just loop wired it back into the harness that went to the alt.

View attachment 1974633

The wire colors chosen going to the alt via the old harness did not really matter as as you will see only one was , i thought, important and that was the sense wire.
This wire was slightly larger and i thought that it might be important to get correct voltage sensing without introducing volt drop.
OK the final photo.

View attachment 1974634

OK this is how i did the wires at the alt.
The "L" terminal on alt, black wire i married up with the small blue wire in the old harness.
The "IG" terminal on alt, red wire I married up with the small green wire in the old harness.
The "S" terminal on alt, white wire I married up with the LARGE black wire in the old harness.

Then at the regulator harness end.
Connections where achieved via a loop wire from alt 3 wires to main harness 3 wires via the 6 wire plug.

Yellow/white wire seen on top pic was looped to the small blue wire under it.
This enabled the charge light to operate.

The white wire bottom was looped to the black wire.
This was for the voltage sense circuit to operate and was why i chose the large black wire.

The black/yellow wire was looped to the small green wire.
This was for the ignition circuit used to activate alternator.

All done, easy once you did your homework.
Also being an electrician helped.
Started engine and charge light went out and was a good sign all went well.
With engine at idle I turned the headlights with hi beam on, light bar and indicators no volt drop detected.
Raised rev to 2000 and small volt increase noticed.
This was all via dash volt gauge, as accurate for as old as it is.

Will be happy to help anyone with similar project.
This was a new alt and can be got on eBay for about $150 aus.
I had a plug set and crimpers at home but you could get them at local car part store.

Im glad to give back to this forum.
tony
HI Ol Fella,
I resume this thread as I'm planning to do the same on my HJ61, with 12HT 24 volt externally regulated with a new alternator internally regulated.
As I have some differences on regulator harness wire colors I'd be sure to have understand how you have made your loop:
E with B
F with IG
N with L
As Sense you have used the B wire correct?
Thank for any further information you can give me.
Paolo "pippi"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom