Aircon install, HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yeah no promblem, once all the bits have arrived ill document it all. That thing is pretty easy to wire and setup. the temp probe can be zip tied to the original toyota probe in front of the evaporator. The power supply will come from the original amplifier power wire, same goes for ground. the original compressor clutch circuit then runs through the onboard relay K0 and K1 terminals, through the hi/low pressure switch, and down to the compressor clutch. All wiring required is there so it will be easy, then its a matter of setting the switch off temp. Ill also wire in a NC relay on the compressor clutch wire which will be connected to the starting circuit(the wire is also there at the amplifier) to make sure a/c is off whilst im cranking

0M251B_20140313044811292.jpg

Good on ya Gareth,more solutions for us 60 owners to keep em running........

Quick question, i picked up this bad boy out of a wrecked 60 still seems to be working but what is the little metal tab for on the right? My old one didnt have this it just had a red manual adjustment thing, im assuming its for a temp sensor or something? how do i rig this up to work on mine.
IMG_0504.JPG

anyone used or are familiar with the ATCO air-o-crimp ac hose diy crimping system? Looks easy to do, and cheap.

http://www.atcomail.com/products/airocrimp.htm

http://www.atcomail.com/2006Catalog/AN_Series_Catalog_2010.pdf

AN-Group-Pic.jpg

I've had some A/C hoses made up locally and they use a similar style of hose but the fittings are made different, in that the fitting itself crimps down on the hose. And the crimp device is a hydraulic press type tool that applies a lot of pressure. I would be concerned about the above setup not being able to handle the pressure generated in the a/c system. I think you would be better served to have your hoses made up by a hydraulic hose shop, where they have the correct tools and parts. I just don't think the above would work very well for that purpose.. Just my view based on what I see.

Quick question, i picked up this bad boy out of a wrecked 60 still seems to be working but what is the little metal tab for on the right? My old one didnt have this it just had a red manual adjustment thing, im assuming its for a temp sensor or something? how do i rig this up to work on mine.View attachment 963230
Pretty sure it comes from the starter circuit and disables a/c on startup, i have no idea why they used such a huge wire and terminal though, its bizzare

as for rigging it up, all the wires should be there and plug in, they were on mine. It seems diesel 60's dont have the trim pot....only the petrol FJ's

I've had some A/C hoses made up locally and they use a similar style of hose but the fittings are made different, in that the fitting itself crimps down on the hose. And the crimp device is a hydraulic press type tool that applies a lot of pressure. I would be concerned about the above setup not being able to handle the pressure generated in the a/c system. I think you would be better served to have your hoses made up by a hydraulic hose shop, where they have the correct tools and parts. I just don't think the above would work very well for that purpose.. Just my view based on what I see.
yeah, ATCO are designed for R134A and the pressures in a/c systems, I checked that all out, This system is popular in bus's and things where the lines are harder to remove and take to be crimped. Turns out, Vintage air offers a similar system, almost identical actually

i suppose an update is due, although im still collecting bits n peices, been busy on lots of other things.

Recently i scored a Denso A/C compressor, Brand new old stock 10P15C as used on our cruisers, but suited to a honda integra(86 to 89). I picked it up for $52.00 plus $17 freight, cheaper than putting new seals in mine. It looks like i just need to swap over the clutch and the manifolds on top, apart from that it seems identical to a landcruiser one, and its a geuine Denso part...happy days!
Also got some denso 8 oil on the way, as its a synthetic oil suited to R134A, still trying to find the exact amount im supposed to use in an empty system....the manual is a little vague

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Pretty sure it comes from the starter circuit and disables a/c on startup, i have no idea why they used such a huge wire and terminal though, its bizzare

as for rigging it up, all the wires should be there and plug in, they were on mine. It seems diesel 60's dont have the trim pot....only the petrol FJ's
So your rig is a diesel HJ60 ? mine is also and the unit i pulled out had a trim pot on it, perhaps the wrong one was put in at some stage?

ok cool ill have to have a poke around see if there is another connection i didnt see. Not sure if you know but with our units being as old as they are if there is no gas in the system will the compressor still kick in when turned on?

my experience is (on my 86 FJ60 gas engine) that the a/c compressor will not engage when the freon charge is low.

yeah, ATCO are designed for R134A and the pressures in a/c systems, I checked that all out, This system is popular in bus's and things where the lines are harder to remove and take to be crimped. Turns out, Vintage air offers a similar system, almost identical actually

its a little hard to see detail but see the a/c hose connection just to the right of the alternator where the hose mates to the metal fitting of the GM a/c hose... that silver band looking area is where the crimp is made. This is a GM 5.7 engine and I use most of the GM OEM hoses in part and the GM compressor, I had custom hoses made from the GM hard line down to the firewall and then down to the condensor. As noted those parts that are crimped are done so by a hydraulic press that uses a good bit of force, if the clamps work in that tool set you posted then I guess you are in business....most hose shops are in the hydraulic hose business which has pressures that are very high...so some of their fittings may be overkill for a/c, but that's purely a guess on my part.
ac4.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates on this thread (for anyone interested in it) its a busy time of year!
Received the electronic thermostat and sensor, wired it up to the toyota plug, just need to add the starter disable relay which is just a NC relay wired into the clutch wire and connected to the starting circuit. Set it to turn off the clutch @ 2deg a and back on @4deg, so left a 2deg hysteresis, will see how it goes. tested it by spraying deoderant onto the sensor to cool it and it seems to work well. Circuit seems to have a good relay, will easily hack 10 amps and has diode protection on the output to save any damage from flyback currents i.e from the compressor clutch, so i dont think ill even bother putting a relay on the clutch wire. I was able to install the thermister where the factory one was, just cut off the toyota one, slid new one into the tube and zip tied.

Temp circuit wired up:

The smaller of the 2 plugs is for the pressure cutout switch

Sensor:

I also received the Honda/Denso A/C compressor, it had a few differences, but i was able to "toyotarise" it by changinging the clutch and pulley, and removing the pad mount style manifold and bolting on the toyota suction and discharge fittings. I also took the oppurtunity to put the toyota clutch on the lathe and machine the surfaces, should be like new now. So i now have a brand new genuine Denso 10P15C for under $70.00!
Ive drained the oil out of it and will refill with Denso 8 oil to suit the new gas.

Ive also drilled the holes in the firewall for the 2 ac lines and the water drain

Just need to replace the orings before i Install the ac unit.

and I purchased a 24" x 14" Sanden AC edge parallel flow condensor. I was going to use a Holden one, but this came in at a good price and is 20mm thick, so the job this weekend will be mounting it up. Its slightly smaller than the original denso serpentine condenser, but the efficiency is much much better, so i figure it should work a lot better than the old one which was designed for R12, this style of condenser is actually designed for R134

I also hooked up the a/c Idle up vacuum pot, it bumps the idle up to 900rpm when the aircon switch's on

solinoid:

Pot/throttle nudger:

its a little hard to see detail but see the a/c hose connection just to the right of the alternator where the hose mates to the metal fitting of the GM a/c hose... that silver band looking area is where the crimp is made. This is a GM 5.7 engine and I use most of the GM OEM hoses in part and the GM compressor, I had custom hoses made from the GM hard line down to the firewall and then down to the condensor. As noted those parts that are crimped are done so by a hydraulic press that uses a good bit of force, if the clamps work in that tool set you posted then I guess you are in business....most hose shops are in the hydraulic hose business which has pressures that are very high...so some of their fittings may be overkill for a/c, but that's purely a guess on my part.
View attachment 963903

Yes, that a bubble crimp, which is specific to a/c work, I think im just going to get the hoses made up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom