A new life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello cruisers I have just purchased a 77 fj40. I have some mechanical skills .... More mechanical skill then typing and have bought this rig as a project. I rebuilt a 4runner and 82 5L mustang when I was younger. At one point in my life I owned a 82 bj60. Although my Bj60 lacked some power and had typical rust problems I loved her and was by far my fav truck I ever owned, secretly I was always jealous of my friends bj42. Years later ,kids older ,some debts paid ,I convinced the wife. Although she is mainly a practical girl ,having one truck each don't fit my new life of daughters moved out and quitting smoking. Now I have some more time and money for a commitment such as this. Today I found my rig , watching online ad I have come to realize a bj40 in fair condition even here in canada is getting hard to find without paying top dollar. Where have they all gone? The ones I was able to find are to much $ or rusted out.. or worse .....brain transplanted ie 350 or 400. Not getting a Bj but finding an fj is definitely not a fail in my books considering the shape she is in and price I paid I don't regret.
Although I really like the thought of keeping her original she has not been started in 5 years and I'm really torn between drivetrain . Switch out ? Diesel? Gas? I have sourced some 3b's local from Bj 60. My new rig arrives tomorrow I hope to have time right away to start my checks for engine start.... Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated ...... Pics soon

I agree, I tore mine apart then ran out of money and time. Now only many years later am I finishing what I started.
If I had to do it over again, I would get it running and enjoy it in its rusty nasty state at least for a little while.

Where in Canada are you?
Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Thanks for the advise guys I think that's a good plan and it prob would be best to bring her back to life with many small surgery's instead of major reconstruction. I do pride myself on efficacy and don't like extra work like removing /repairing things just to have to remove / replace later on but I guess it will be the balance of work needed. The downside to this would be more work in the long run attacking one prob at a time verse hitting hard out of the gate like a Tasmania devil but this will also have downsides like feeling the project is overwhelming and leading to frustration / mistakes/ or worse loss of ambition. I do have a shop but space is always a commodity living in the city so small projects one at a time might be best. Delivery delayed till tommorow so taking advantage of extra time clearing shop making room. West coast Canada!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410492916.679715.jpg

That doesn't look like a 77 from some of the body details. More like a 73-74. Or maybe even older?

Good luck with your project

...via IH8MUD app

She's home ! I wasted no time getting dirty on this barn find that has not been running for ten years. I flushed all fluids but was surprised to see fluids in good shape and must have been changed , I think some upkeep was done over the years. I had to do some minor wiring and changed plugs cap rotor. I was very pleased after several hours of prep work I was able to drop in a new battery and she fired right up. I ran out of time tonight but did notice clutch pedal hits the floor with no resistance .....bleeding? Maybe tomorrow I have time to inspect deeper.

She's home ! I wasted no time getting dirty on this barn find that has not been running for ten years. I flushed all fluids but was surprised to see fluids in good shape and must have been changed , I think some upkeep was done over the years. I had to do some minor wiring and changed plugs cap rotor. I was very pleased after several hours of prep work I was able to drop in a new battery and she fired right up. I ran out of time tonight but did notice clutch pedal hits the floor with no resistance .....bleeding? Maybe tomorrow I have time to inspect deeper.

That doesn't look like a 77 from some of the body details. More like a 73-74. Or maybe even older?

Good luck with your project

...via IH8MUD app
You are right I was told it was a 77 but turns out its a 72

I am yet to find out what's under the diamond plate although the posts seem stable but the frame is what made me buy this rig. I've looked at several rigs and found many with rusted frames or mods, bad swaps dressed up nice........ugly girls in fancy dress for 5-10 thousand. I am aware of my long haul and had a purchase budget at around 5000 and almost bought one for 7500 just outside of town but found this rig not for sale. I knocked on the door and after inspection made a hand shake deal for 800.00 The rig two full pallets of parts ,2 soft tops and 2 hard tops front and rear axels from 77 ...... More pics tomorrow

Well now that she running .... Maybe a little rough right now but I'll go deeper on that another day. I just want to be able to move rig around my property if need be ....given my limited space , so I had to hit up my clutch prob today. I pulled inspection plate off and saw some life in her still. My slave cyl was seized so after reading a few post on here from other members I took there advise and replaced both master and slave at same time and new hyd line. Being that the front fender was only held together by rust ,paint ,and old welds from several previous repair patches it is the ugliest thing on truck. I figured now was good as time as any to dismantle. Will order new fender on Monday but still debating ordering both sides being pass side fend is still in decent shape ie...small patch in corner to weld but if I only order one side and it turns out not exact it will bug me. Master and slave cyl installed real easy, bleed ,adjust she seems ok but can't do drive test yet. I only wish I replaced all bolts when reinstalling but I'm sure I will have it ripped apart some time in future but with inspection plate off I figured I'd clean it up and prep for paint. My friend gave me some rust treatment but not sure how good it work it made by (permatex) but its only a inspection plate so I'd thought I'd give her a try. My fender brace has seen better days but not throwing out yet not sure if new fenders come with brace so I could repair if needs be
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410659286.787390.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410659310.914934.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410659332.338842.jpg

Wow thats worse than Canadian rust. And that is hard to find, AND we get like 8 months of winter!:eek:

Wow thats worse than Canadian rust. And that is hard to find, AND we get like 8 months of winter!:eek:
Lol that is home grown Canadian rust! It's are number one export. I'm on the west coast of Canada Victoria bc

Haha sorry, for some reason I thought you were from australia... Getting my threads mixed up I guess. I drove from Calgary to Tofino and back this summer on my KLR 650. 5500 km and I took the inside passage ferry. Went right through Victoria, so I probably drove near your neck of the woods.

Haha sorry, for some reason I thought you were from australia... Getting my threads mixed up I guess. I drove from Calgary to Tofino and back this summer on my KLR 650. 5500 km and I took the inside passage ferry. Went right through Victoria, so I probably drove near your neck of the woods.
Lol I drove from Vic to fortmac and back I prob did more k than you but you prob had more fun than me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom