A little too much body roll...new shocks ? springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Feeling like the Cruiser has a little too much body roll in the turns. I realize it's a Cruiser and not a sports car but I am wondering if new shocks alone would help or would it need springs too ? Would either of these help ? Don't want to ride like a brick but would like a little more stability. It has 176k miles on it and I am pretty sure the shocks could be original.
Looking for recommendations.
Thanks.

Feeling like the Cruiser has a little too much body roll in the turns. I realize it's a Cruiser and not a sports car but I am wondering if new shocks alone would help or would it need springs too ? Would either of these help ? Don't want to ride like a brick but would like a little more stability. It has 176k miles on it and I am pretty sure the shocks could be original.
Looking for recommendations.
Thanks.
It helps a lot if you put the year / mileage of your truck in your signature or post.

My guess is you need new bushings in on your sway bar links and the bar itself.

Tire size, PSI, Rim size?

It helps a lot if you put the year / mileage of your truck in your signature or post.

My guess is you need new bushings in on your sway bar links and the bar itself.
I noted the mileage at 176k. It's a 2003 with stock rims. Tire size is stock and they are K02's. Not sure on tire pressure tbh but they were recently installed. I can check.

I noted the mileage at 176k. It's a 2003 with stock rims. Tire size is stock and they are K02's. Not sure on tire pressure tbh but they were recently installed. I can check.
Sorry, missed the mileage. My truck had a lot of body roll when I bought it at 235k miles. Sway bar bushings made a huge difference. Worn shocks present more as body rock (they aren't dampening) very apparent when you stop quickly.

Reactions: jLB
I’d say replace shocks with OEM. Great value- a few years ago they were $40 each.

You could do slightly stiffer coils from OME but I think they do result in 1.5” of lift- you can crank the torsion bars an inch to match.

This will not ride rough but aid in the roll you discuss.

Try a few more psi in the tires if they’re low.

So the AHC is possibly not working ? I feel like it may be worth it to put new shocks in anyway at 176k and look at the bushings for the sway bar. I will have to read up on the AHC and see how that works. Are the Bilstein 4600 the OEM? Also curious about the best place to get sway bar bushings.
Thanks for all the replies.

If you have AHC then you can’t replace your shocks with anything else (they are actually hydraulic rams). They also very rarely need replaced. Number one, make sure your pressures are in spec, you have clean fluid and your bushings are in good condition. 18” rims? What size KO2’s?
A larger rear sway bar from a LC without AHC can be used to tighten things up a bit.

I may have confused you, mentioning AHC. AHC (AKA: Active height control), which is hydraulic suspension.

But it is was unclear, what model you have.
You asking "So the AHC is possibly not working ? " Implies you have AHC. AHC is in all LX's 470 & 570 if not removed by owner Only some (most) 2006 & 2007 Land Cruisers have AHC, no other years in USA models. So indication are. After going back and re-reading every post of yours, in this thread. You've a stock 03LX w/176k miles, with Ko2.

It was suggested in post #2. You, add vehicle info to signature line. This way, it's known to all at a glance. What make, model, miles and configured (stock or build). This avoid a lot of confusion.

Best parts, are almost always: OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) form Toyota.

Stabilizers sways bars, rarely need replacing in a stock configuration. I do find, the more miles the more they're bent (settled-in). But typically I only replace if eyelet for link(s) rusted out badly. You'll find many threads on which parts (links, cushions, bushing, retaining washers and bolts) and how to change.

You should be able to make sweeping turns on ramps or open HWY mountain curves. Without the need to give steering wheel those little correction, associated with body roll. A properly set-up stock LC or LX, will hug the curves. Just like the day it roll out of the factory, it's so sweet!.

Last edited:
Beefed-up aftermarket sway bars will make a big difference in on-road stability, and I'd also look at replacing the suspension bushings, starting with the rear UCAs/LCAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom