A crap, a Mitsubishi Turbo Question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For a 3B
So I was at P&P today and I told myself I was "only" getting some driveline flanges when "intercooler" on a volvo caught my eye... so I had to take a look.
I found a td05-12b the only problem is I can not for the life of me find map for that turbo. As well I know mitsu uses 6cm 7cm 8cm ect. So from what I figure 6cm in around 42 a/r? 7cm is 48ish?
Basicly for this turbo to work I think I would want it to be 6cm if I am understanding but then again I really get lost in this turbo mumbo.

Here are some pics, also where dose mitsu stamp there a/r? (cm)

IMAG1329.jpg

IMAG1330.jpg

This pic of the turbine (exhaust in case I got my lingo is wrong) side these are the only numbers I see.

IMAG1331.jpg

Anyways, shaft play was good so unless something screams no, I will go grab it tomorrow or at least go back with some more knowledge of what to look for.
I want a turbo more on the low side of things, I don't really take my 3b over 3000 rpms anyways.

Oh hey. Sorry Ive in the middle of redoing the siding on my house. Been really busy lately. The TD05 turbine looks to be just a tad smaller then a T3. As far as the compressor, 2H... I have no idea how to map that as I couldnt fine a diameter to get a rough idea. The turbine housing number dont give me much info either. I guess im no help sorry. I did find that it is off of a volvo. What type? dunno.
g

Hey.. I did a bit more scrounging and the td05 on that year is a effort for volvo to reduce lag and they only kept it for one year and went smaller to a td04h. The compressor works fine for the 3B although its an old design. The real question is the turbine housing size. I tink this turbo would work alright, but most likely wont spool down low as fast as you might want. The combo of larger turbine with small compressor might not be so fun. It might be ok if the exhaust is a 5cm or at the most 6cm. Just a thought.

Thanks G, well after taking it off there are no other markings on it. Here are some Pictures, I like that its water cooled. Looks like it has a internal waste gate. Is that a blow off valve on the compressor? so I will need to keep that shut correct?

I think its a 6c turbine there is a 6 marked on it just outside of one of the first pictures I posted. Its clockable but actually looks like It will sit very nicely coming straight off of a homemade manifold. Big oil drain too, the waste gate seems kind of soft. I guess it can't hurt to give her a try, I am sure it will be better then nothing!

Also G I mapped the td05-14b and td05-14g and they look good, this one would be smaller wouldn't it?

Pics
IMAG1349.jpg

IMAG1346.jpg

IMAG1344.jpg

IMAG1343.jpg

IMAG1342.jpg

I hope its worth the trouble Maybe I will just have to get use to driving her more like a race car when I am done haha

Ahh by the looks of that exhaust housing it appears to be much bigger than a 6. It might just be the picture. The 12b compressor is alot smaller than a 14b and if I had to estimate, flows about 300cfm max? I never found a map. Take measurements and we can see if we can match a compressor to its size to get an idea. Often mitsu will have something like a .6 on the exhaust housing indicating its cm. It usually sits all by itself and doesnt really relate to anything.
That hole on the compressor housing looks like its used for a line to measure boost. I would wire that wastegate shut before you run it as the soft wastegate spring will skew your results alot. As long as it doesnt boost too far into the teens it should be ok. I wouldnt push that compressor past 13 or 14 lbs as I doubt its big enough to do more.

OK so I just looked, it has a 6 on the outside of the turbine housing as well on the inside of the exhaust flange (again can't see that one in the pic either). and I read two places its 350cfm at 14psi... I don't remember where though. I will be happy with around 10psi but I would want that by 2000 rpms or 1800rpms would even be better. I don't mind turning the fuel up and then regulating my egts with my foot. Also I will want to intercool this asap, I almost bought one today but it wasn't the right size.

What measurements do I need to take? Thanks for all the help! It will be nice to get one more turbo 3b south of the boarder down here.

EDIT: Its 320cfm at 14psi

Last edited:
So I still get lost, but in theory the compressor is comparable (in flow) to a gt2052 at around 20lb/min I know that has little to do as there are so many factors involved. One thing was reading was the design of the turbine being bad, with to many 90 degree bends ect. mostly on the waste gate which shouldn't hurt me. I think I will "polish" some of it up for better flow and get her a shot.... this will be a slow build fair warning.

Sounds like it should work out. You should easily reach those boost levels at that rpm with this turbo. I would hesitate to run it past 14 psi as it is 24yrs old and it for sure is not efficient above that at 2000rpm or more.

If your waste gate has a weak spring it will make your total boost less and the turbo will build boost slower. I would recommend a manual boost controller that prevents boost pressure from reaching the waste gate actuator until a desired pressure, then lets it all through. They are cheap on ebay. Like 20 bucks. All wastegates open at or even before 1/2 of their max pressure setting. That loss is all lost performance.

If you do go intercooler, go with one that has very little pressure loss as at low pressures loosing 2psi can net you less power than no intercooler at all. If your not sure about intercoolers, post up some pictures and ask as much of the bennifits about intercoolers are not clearly understood.

Cool, thanks again. I'll post up a build of it once I get started, I love this site, and that there are people like you who each have there expertise to help out.

just a quick Q about intercoolers, are the from mount (in front of the radiator) better then top mount or worse? Seems like top mount have less cubic feet so thinking off the top of my head less lag, but maybe more pressure. where front mount have better cooling and more area for less pressure, but also more run would equal more lag and possible back pressure.... maybe its for another thread haha.

Your simple question may get several different responses.

From what I learned in nursing school, the intercooler with the least internal volume (counting piping), least pressure drop with the most effecient cooling area will be the best choice. Theory and fitment/ price fight each other in this.

I favor large top mounts for less piping and easier fitment, but the intercoolers do tend to be smaller just based on available room. They also really should have fans fitted to them for low speed driving/ towing.

The choice of intercooler you use becomes more difficult with lower boost as there is a fine line between gaining air density from cooling vs loosing charge pressure from resistance of the intercooler itself. Im actually puting together an intercooler for my 3b that is a top mount and I will post up some pics of what im talking about.

Lost of folks on this board have done some nice installs with intercoolers with good results. Im just lazy and want performance with as little work as possible as I have less and less time to work on my truck lately

740 Volvo turbo

This is the turbo that I grabbed from a wrecker as well it is fantastic!!! Not sure what the trim is all I can say is it spools quick "I put a valve on the waste gate line closed it for now" with the fuel turned up I was hittng 20 psi no problem! I turned the fuel down it's about 12 psi now running 37" tires in a 40 with 3B it is a new truck! No regrets pulling the TBI 350 for the 3B very happy!

here's mine.......

I have the same turbo on my 3B for the last 5 years and still chugging.

I've turned up my fuel to near full blast and have never had this turbo produce more than 14.5psi.

I also notice that the part numbers are different. Mine came off a volvo 760 and the flanges are the same. They appear to come on 87-89 years Volvos.

The exhaust housings seem to be the same as you can see here where another person is selling one identical to mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB70XIONIj4
TD05 badge.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom