A/C Gauges and the knowledge to use them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a good set of A/C gauges and know how to use them correctly?

I need to check my charge levels before I tear into my A/C system. A/C runs for 5 min then goes warm.

Leading theory is that it is my expansion valve, but it's a bit of a bear to get to...

Would just like to verify it isn't an undercharged system first...

Please let me know!

Sounds like an expansion valve. You can get an idea by running the hose over the condensor and seeing if the air gets colder. If it does, it needs freon.

When my expansion valve went last summer, it would stay cold for a few minutes, then sporadically get cold if I left it on. I replaced it, then 2 weeks later the evaporator developed a leak.

Make sure you replace the dryer when you do the expansion valve.

Thanks @peacesells63 that is good advise. Still deciding if I want to try to diagnose myself or get professional help :confused:

@LandCruiserPhil I had thought to take it to CBT to diagnose but I heard that they are running behind in the service department and didn't want to add to their backlog if I could figure it out on my own. I had planned to take it to them to recharge however...

Might be worth trying to schedule something out a bit and saving myself some frustration...

I have AC gauges (you are welcome to) and know enough to be very dangerous. When it come to the new 134A AC systems they can be very finicky yet so important where we live. I handle 95% of my own stuff but leave AC stuff to a pro so they can make me cool.

2x likely expansion valve. Get cracking mguyver!

You could also be overcharged, like Phil said, 134 systems are very finicky. Next time it goes warm, check the light on the ac switch, if it's flashing, you likely have too much freon/oil in the system.

Agree with the above, I have a vac pump and a set of gauges (great investment if you are looking for leaks). So many variables on the volume end when adding refrigerant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom