'85 p/u 22RE misc issues - can you help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Just got the truck a few days ago. Engine oil dipstick reads over full. I had to drain 1.5 quarts out to get it to register correctly on the dipstick. Wondering if the truck has the wrong dipstick in it.

Does your dipstick measure the same length as mine? (Hold the obscene comments!)
PDHtruck 004.jpg
PDHtruck 005.jpg

Is there a part missing here?
PDHtruck 001.jpg

Why is the passenger side headlight dimmer than the driver side?
PDHtruck 010.jpg

This is my truck my Dad (Rigger) and I Just bought this truck. We are planning on putting in a front axle seal kit replacing some interior parts. This truck will be my first vehicle so I hope it is a good one. :steer:

I can't help you with the dipstick but the heat shield looks like it might be from a carburated truck. The heat riser tube would go from there to the air cleaner. Since your truck is a 22re (fuel injected) then it goes nowhere. It is common for those heat shields to rust off.

The headlight is either in the process of crapping out or you have some bad headlight wiring. Toyota's are notorious for poor headlight wiring and too thin gauge wires. headlights are cheap. Put a new one in. If it doesn't change then you may need to do some rewiring.

I bet its the wiring at the 3 prong plug thats bad, hell I keep a spare in the glove box just in case. I know the 22re dipstick is diffrent than the 22r, you may haved a 22r carbed stick. Mike gave me one at his house and I left my old one behind and soon discovered it was wrong and over full, just score the stick and live with it till you can find another.........as long as it seals ....smile and go on:D

Anyway I have a cheap aftermarket on mine, its nice cause it sticks up much higher than stock

and the other is for a pre heater hose, be happy the shield is still in one piece....lol

No help on the dipstick, sorry.
The round dealie is for the heat riser tube, as stated.
The headlight PROBABLY has a blown fuse.
If it is a blown fuse, the question is WHY did the fuse blow?
Bad wiring, melted connectors, chafed wires, melted fuse block, etc.
OR, the fuse just died. It happens sometimes.

The horn doesn't work. Now I see why! The wires are gone!

Does anyone know where the wires tied into the harness?
Pp 002.jpg

The dipstick length is exactly the same as my '91 22RE. My guess on the headlight is corroded wire. Be sure to remove all green copper back to clean wire.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I have the correct dipstick, so I'll just mind the number of quarts I put in when I change the oil next week.

There are two theories on the headlight issue; fuse and wiring.

===

Topic: Dim headlight. Theory: fuse.

I had this happen to another Toyota truck I had about 20 years ago. I took it to a shop back then. The mechanic said it was a fuse. He replaced it. Problem solved. I never paid attention to where the offending fuse was located.

Fast forward to today. I looked at the fuses that are in an L-shaped box under the hood on the passenger side fender. They all look okay. (I noticed that some fuse holder slots are empty.) Does anyone know of other locations where I may find the fuse that causes this issue? I think the fuse that causes this is a 10 amp fuse. Would it be inside the cab or under the hood?

===

Topic: Dim headlight. Theory: wiring.

Should I just visually inspect the three prong plugs? What would I be looking for? I have a light bulb type tester; would that help?

===

As you can tell, I am an electrical noob, so please be real specific!

Thanks!

It is dim on low beams; the pic shows low beams. I never thought to check and see what it is doing on high beams. I will check and report back here. Thanks.

Funny story: I thought I may do some voltage checks, so I bought a little multimeter. I went to Harbor Freight and they have one there for $4.99! I am amazed that such a device can be made that cheap that it can be sold for five clams! I went ahead and bought it. It will be interesting to see if this el cheapo meter helps me out! :)

Mine likes to give me a dim light and it is for sure the fuse on mine but mine is the old glass round fuses. I have to move the fuse around or clean the contact and then the light is fine. After finding the correct fuse take it out and clean it up. Possibly unplug the headlight and plug it back in incase it is that connection. After that I would buy a new light and plug it in to see...... Chasing wires for no reason sucks!

I had a battery issue after a hard jump a couple of years ago and broke the plug on the passenger side causing an intermittent short. So, I had to replace the plug.

My runner has been sitting for awhile and I noticed that the passenger side light seems a little dim, but this is on both high and low. I just went out and played with the wiring and checked fuses and found nothing. Played with the plug and my splices, still nothing. Locked really close and found that there is a coating of mud on the inside of the dim headlight. Looks like it's still sealed up, weird. I guess I don't have to worry about it going out on me and it's plenty bright for daily (nightly) use. Just bother's me that there's mud in there. Hopefully, it doesn't make the halogen blow.

Locked really close and found that there is a coating of mud on the inside of the dim headlight. Looks like it's still sealed up, weird. I guess I don't have to worry about it going out on me and it's plenty bright for daily (nightly) use. Just bother's me that there's mud in there. Hopefully, it doesn't make the halogen blow.
The seal between the front glass and the reflector glass can fail partially. When that happens water and grime can get inside. I've had a couple fail this way over the years. If I catch it before there is reflector damage, I'll spit it fully, clean it out, and caulk it back together.

Looks like there is some reflector damage. There are a few places where I can see through it. I'll just replace it when convenient. As in next time I have some little stuff to do on the truck and also have to visit the parts store beforehand. I'll keep the dirty one in the shop as a spare.

Don't know of the OP has a similar issue, but this info is good for general knowledge.

I had an exhaust shop look at the truck to see why the CE light is on. He said some wires were disconnected. He fixed that issue and said the truck runs well, and overall looks pretty good. He recommended a tune up: new plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. He also said he thinks the motor was either pulled and reinstalled at some point, or else pulled and replaced.

Hmmm.

I will continue to try and breathe new life into this rascal and post up my progress here.

Thanks for your posts and thoughts, guys!

:)

That could have been as simple as a howling throw out bearing or a slipping clutch as the reason it had been out. No worries there based on that. But it definately explains the disconnected plugs which is most likely your thought.

Good thought, 4x4 wagon. Prolly something simple like that.

BTW here's a pic of the truck from back:
bv.jpg

I had the same problem about a year ago. I checked the wiring and the PO wired both headlights to the drivers side wiring only. The PO just cut the passenger side wiring and left it hangin there. You probably dont have the same problem. But the PO also cut the wiring to the horn just like that so I would check all the wiring in the front of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom