84 bj46 long term maintenance, repair and upgrade- making it mine. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just spaced out in diesel land...... I think you're right and it is the LJ50.

Pete

I just spaced out in diesel land...... I think you're right and it is the LJ50.
Pete

Ha ha. To be truthful .... At first I was thinking that you were right and that 2-strokes didn't have plugs... Then I remembered my old 2-stroke lawnmower (since sold) and my two 2-stroke scrubcutters (where I occasionally need to clean the plugs because they oil up if I do a lot of low-throttle running with the high-oil fuel mix I like to run).

. Beautiful country ............Sarge

Amen

Not that I can use this in my defense- but there are also 2 stroke diesels- though I have never seen one.

And yes here the traditional way of life still goes on without too much testimony to modernity here in rural Japan. The old farm houses were made from local mud, timber, bamboo and straw and thus remain in harmony with the surrounding from whence they came. My house is such a house, though it is in a group of houses and not a solitary unit.

When I need a break from it all its only a few minutes drive in the Bj and I'm right where that picture was taken. And the rural winters also produce sublime settings...... It was in fact the move to this more rural area that first required me to buy a 4wd. Obviously I made the right choice with the Land Cruiser!

Pete

Finished up the brackets and got them tacked the seat frame a few days back. The seat frame will pivot on the 16mm bolts when folded up for loading cargo:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Then the magic moment.... The kids are at Grandma's and the workers are on vacation for a day. I can't remember the last time I had a full day to work on the cruiser!

And the welder was cooperating nicely. I've taken to the habit of preheating the metal with sharp Mapp gas flame where the weld will start to get better penetration and you can feel the weld sink in right away.

Also I carve out a valley between the pieces to be joined then fill. This is probably the most important weld on the frame.
View attachment 923629View attachment 923630View attachment 923631

Finally got it all bolted in by the end of the day. Now I just need to weld on the seatbelt brackets, work on the anti-rattle system and get the remaining hardware ordered.

Lining up to mark the holes:

image.jpg

Holes done and all bolted in:
image.jpg

Rear disconnected and frame folded up for cargo:
image.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. I've been planning it out for a long while now every time I go camping, take stuff to an exhibition or move machinery etc etc. It's proving itself useful right off the bat.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Test fit the seat. With the 4 point belt's tied into the seat frame it's cool to be able to just slide the whole assembly back when there is no other stuff in the truck. The airline track cleats snap lock it in place so they can be located anywhere on the rail. The seat back a bit in combination with the soft top sides opened it make the rear feel wide open. And the seats are surprisingly comfy. Throw a small table. In front of them and I think it'll be great for an off-road picnic on a rainy day(which we have many of),... Or a sunny one for that matter. Hell- let it snow. It's gonna be fun no matter what. The kids will love it.

image.jpg

Pete

Thats a great setup. I really like the pictures also.

G'day Pete,

Thanks for posting up the pics of the 46 and the kids. One of the things about Mud that I love, is that I can get an insight into the lives of other people from around the world. Particularly other men. Growing up in the '70's with the TV programs like the Brady Bunch or Skippy the Bush Kangaroo you could easily end up with a very warped sense of what the US or Australia is like. But Mud takes you into peoples sheds and workshops. It's refreshing and honest in a world of spin doctoring. Now I get to see Japan (And a Japanese shed!!)

Now for some questions. Pete doesn't sound like a traditional Japanese name. How did you end up there and will it be home for the long term? You also mention exhibitions. What do you exhibit?

Secondly, I often wondered about what the perception of 40 series Land Cruisers is in Japan. Are they viewed as treasured icons to be preserved or uneconomical bits of crap from another era that should be crushed and turned into Camry's and washing machines.

Thirdly, right hand side power steering boxes are really rare in Australia, there were very few models that were released with factory power steering and as a result they demand top dollar. Prices between $1500 and $2000 are not uncommon. Do you think it would be viable to try and locate a dismantler in Japan and see if they could ship/freight a steering box Down Under.

Cheers and thanks again for the pics.

Ben

Hey Ben,

Yeah- its amazing the variety of folks all drawn together by one common passion. Mud hosts so many interesting people and give me in site to what everyday people are really like in other parts of the world. And yes- I am in import. I grew up in Texas and went to design school in Rhode Island where I studied glass blowing, sculpture and design. Which eventually brought me to Japan where I operate a small studio. Its hard work and I'll never get rich doing it but very rewarding in many other ways.

In fact my shed houses my studio- which is why its hard to get time in in there for the cruiser as it gets in the way of work.

image.jpg

It's a fair surprise the professions that we encompass as a group , pretty much anything you can think of ...
Always had a deep interest in working with glass and have done some small things , usually resulting in some pretty good burns , lol .
That seat setup is a great idea , nice thinking out of the box .

Considered doing some custom glass work on the 43 ?
Sarge

Finished up the welding the other day. Had an idea for the rear seatbelt attachment points. Though I felt having 3 edges welded down was likely enough I figured there would be no harm in adding more. I knew I would not be able to get a good weld down on the inside due to space constraints so I pre drilled a couple of holes in the bracket before I welded it down:

image.jpg

Them I drilled through the piece that the were welded to and then drilled back up from the bottom almost all the way through both pieces with a 10mm bit:

image.jpg

Finally I just filled that with a nice hot weld buttoning the two together:
image.jpg

And Ben back to you other questions yes 40's are cherished here by their owners. There are various events etc but- there sadly are few readily available good trails left. Japan is slowly paving everything. The events may have a small course but it is nothing compared to actually getting out in the woods on a challenging trail. There is a smaller group that meet up a few times a year and get out into snow covered trails etc. I'm lucky enough to have been included for the last couple of years.

Personally I search out unmapped roads on google earth and go out and survey them to get my fill. I guess it's the pioneer in me- a spirit not often found in Japan where people tend to operate in groups as a rule and often are uncomfortable with- how shall I put it- the less travelled road. Not everyone is like this however. I do find other tracks out on the abandoned logging roads from time to time.

Never the less 40 addicts abound and when a japanese dedicates his attention to something it is full on to the point of becoming a lifestyle. And while there are some very handsome and well kept trucks and resto's there are plenty who could care less about looks and just love wheeling.

In terms of finding wreckers with parts here I wish I could say I know where to look. I bought my power steering on auction and that is the best place as the trucks are rare here (the majority of then having been crushed years ago and already turned into Camry's) and the guys tearing them down usually list everything on the auctions. Even then I can't remember the last time I saw a power steering box other than the one other than the one I bought several years ago.

Within the community we all hoard little treasures and basically when word of mouth gets out that so and so needs such and such the parts most likely surface- but not without warranted need because after all there are only so many spares left.

All and all I really am honored to have been welcomed into the 40 family here. Most of the guys go back 15+ years of wheeling together.

Best,

Pete

This post will be off-topic, but I just have to comment.

Thank you for giving us a bit of insight into your world. You are a true crafstman, the pictures of your work are proof positive, and your skill spills over into a variety of venues. I have a strong love and appreciation for working with hands as that has been my life work.

Here at the Oregon State Fair there is a small corner called the craft coutyard. There is a wide variety of skills shown there, and the craftsmen are usually constructing something while people watch. Glassblowing is one of the crafts shown, and a big favorite of mine. Obviously, this is my favorite place in the whole fair. If you were just closer I would love to see you firsthand applying your expertise.

Don

Don,

Thanks! If you ever make it over this way then come on over to the shop and give it another try!

Ok- I was in the U.S. for 2 weeks and before I went I busted my butt- however I just couldn't get the rear seat done. However while I was gone I did have the A/C fixed- a new compressor was made to order as denso does not usually stock them. I took the truck to a denso service shop and had them do the work and I'll just say this- I can take my sweet time eating this even in the middle of summer! Even in a soft top its worth the trouble to have the A/C.

image.jpg

And I finally- after agonizing for what seemed like days over how to solve the rattling problem with the L-track hardware- went ahead with the first idea that had come to mind many weeks ago. It works great and in retrospect I wonder why I didn't just go ahead with this in the first place. The bolt is welded to the disk and turning the bolt clockwise lifts the seat assembly up removing all the free play. There is one in each corner of the seat sub frame.
image.jpg

And finally! Primed and painted the whole assemble made its way into the back of the truck for good. I'm really happy with the way it all came out. I would like to have a simpler way to get it to slide but hey.... It works great and really doesn't require too much effort given that 90% of the time or more it will just remain in the same spot.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I got the seats bolted in tonight but no pics yet. Seatbelts in then its done. This must qualify as the most complicated, time consuming rear seat install in a 40 series ever. No regrets here. After all the truck is supposed to carry stuff and people across rough and difficult terrain. The stock suspension with the larger tires and cable lockers basically takes care of the rough terrain part of things. This seat/cargo system will take care of the other main requirement. Everything after this is just a nicety. And as the title of this thread implies I'm planning on having this truck for as long as I can manage so I really want to take the time to make and modifications/additions to it as close to what I think is the best possible method as I can.

Pete

Talk about spohisticated/swish!!!!! :clap:

Beautiful work Pete...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom