84 bj46 long term maintenance, repair and upgrade- making it mine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg

I bought this truck a couple of years ago with the intention of saving it while for hen my red bj44 was in need of a frame off. 7/84 bj46 work truck owned by a prefectural office that I found on auction. Fast forward to now- my red truck needs a transfer rebuild and I've lost my storage- it has to be one or the other so I'm moving forward and have put this into daily use.

This thread is meant to document it's maintenance, use and various projects. I'll try to keep this thread updated as much as I can. Anyway onto the visuals.....

The day I got it....

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I went by train from toyama to yame-shi to pick it up sight unseen with my daughter. We had a 3 day trip back without a hiccup.

Pete

image.jpg

A few shots to document the condition of the truck. It's a work truck and has a few dents and a few spots of rust that need to be nipped in the bud. The thing I like about this truck is that there is very little catch up work to be done. It's so awesome to have the chance to start clean and just focus on keeping it up maintenance wise. The worst of the rust!
image.jpg
image.jpg

These guys went nuts with the yearly chassis black application. It's all cracked up an water seals within the cracks and is causing rust. Fortunately the only reall heavily applied it to the visible parts of the frame so getting taken care of will be a piece of cake.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Another spot of rust. So incredibly minor it just makes me squeal.
image.jpg

Pete

Yep- she's already claimed. It'll probably be the one she learns to drive in.

Wow nice truck you found for your daughter.

Pete

Last edited:
Love that the wiring is 100% unhacked. The engine compartment will be getting a little attention. Nothing show worthy simply straight up maintenance.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pete

The rust in the truck is a easy fix with a complaint roof strip down. The sooner you pull the roof and side windows the better to keep the minimal rust at bay.

sweet rig ... can't believe how clean it is ... that extra space will come in handy ... :clap:

Some shot of the good. I'm religious in terms of yearly coating the seams. Usually 2 times a year I go over them with some fluid film. I think I can keep this thing from rusting for a very long time even though it will see a salty road once a year or so. The red truck has not gotten a bit worse in the 6 years I've used it.

Rear door lower seams followed by the front door lower seam:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Rockers from the inside:

image.jpg

Rear and mid cross members:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Overall it's in remarkably good shape for a late model as they are famous for rust prone metallurgy.

Pete

For now it's had some maintenance. All new fluids and filters. Radiator fluid was probably original.... There was sights of corrosion for sure. The rad has a leak near the top seam probably pin holes. I have a replacement on the way and the original well be repaired and kept as a spare.

New clutch master and slave. New tires on some 16" factory steeliness I had on my bj44. I'm gonna paint them gray when I get the chance.

It was time to put the truck to use.... So off to our secret swimming hole we went. Just happens to require 4wd to get there.....

Momo mid air...

image.jpg

My boy Zilker with his catch. Pretty surprised he was able to grab that fish.

image.jpg

Did some crawling around and flexed it out just to show what the stock limitations are:
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Love these dunlop tires. Grandtrek Mt2 7.50 r16 6 ply. The first shows the clearance at the front fender and the second at the rear.

image.jpg
image.jpg

A preview of pending additions.

Cargo and rear seat L-track
image.jpg

Lots of cables hanging off of that thing....

Got one for the front too.

image.jpg

Pete

Wow very nice BJ46,keep up the good work on it ;)

Joe

Very nice

Great looking rig Pete. The rust looks minimal and should be easy to repair.

Hi Pete.

Nice to see this lovely 1984 BJ46 again! (That first pic is a favorite of mine as you know.)

On seeing the rotary injection pump on this 3B just now, at first I thought it must have had an engine transplant. But no. I see they changed to the rotary for the Japanese-market BJ46 in October 1982 (whereas the diesel engines in the 40-series models for most other markets stuck with inline pumps till the end of 40-series production).

This BJ46 is just like the 3rd one down here (BJ46-KC(J):

BJ46.jpg

:beer:

Tom- it is just like that one- minus the shoulder belts. And yes the rotary pump did start earlier here. Most here do not like the 3b. They prefer the 2b. but I find it better as the 2b had a very sensitive throttle often causing lurching when in rough terrain. The difference is actually probably mostly related to the rate at which the throttle linkage opens the throttle plate.

Pete

I'm working on getting the cable lockers in. Previously I had someone weld the perches for me and it was another one of those things I wish I had just done myself. The perches were placed incorrectly and the left wheel stuck out about 1cm more than the right. So I found a place that I could work with where I could come in at the key times and do the work to make sure it is accurate.

Many posts recommend putting the front axle in place without welding the perches and adjusting it on the truck but with the additional trusses on the 70 axle being squared off there is no way to do that. We tacked them on and put the axle on the truck then measured the caster relative to the frame and it came out to 6.5 degrees. Using a digital level we adjusted one relative to the other subtracting 3.5 degrees then tacked it and adjusted the other the same. But when we went to put the axle on the square u-bolt would not fit over the trusses due to the angle of the axle. But when we did get it in and measured it it came out to be 3 degrees which is right about where I want it. The measuring was done with the fronts axle on stands BTW.

Anyway the perches are centered well on the axle and it was time to move on. I'll drive the truck a bit and re measure. I know something's right but when I measured it it was dead on...... I may have to just resort to shims until I get the chance to do it again.... I so wish I had done it myself the first time. I would have measured the angle of the original perch on one side and moved the perch on the other side keeping that same angle.

Rear axle is good to go..... Working on the shifter.

A side note I don't know how you guys do such a good job of documenting stuff while your working on it. I took a few pics but I'm just too busy to take the time to get a good set of shots in sequence. I'll try harder.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom