'73 FJ40 Drivers Side Defroster Duct with Shopvac hose - How do you do it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a '73 FJ40, and I have seen somewhere on Ih8mud that someone had used a 2.5" shopvac hose to make a defroster duct.

Anyone done this? If so, can you expound on what you did or if you have pics.

Last edited:

See the last post. Looks like it may need to be 2”.

See the last post. Looks like it may need to be 2”.
Thank you, I was using the wrong search words. I was using "Defrost duct"

My 72 is round at the heater/defrost junctions. From the blower motor to the heater is a rectangular duct. I used glue and a industrial stapler to make the rectangular duct from a piece of car innertube back in like 84 - still there, still works. I bought new defrost ducts about that time. The hoses still appear good but the fittings are rotten. I thought about 3d printing new ones, but PVC could work nicely.

You can form PVC with a heat gun. Measure the oval circumference, match that to a round section fitting. Heat the fitting and then press it in place quickly using a glove. It should be easier to stretch a slightly smaller fitting to fit than to collapse an over sized one. Silicon calking is an option too.

My 72 is round at the heater/defrost junctions. From the blower motor to the heater is a rectangular duct. I used glue and a industrial stapler to make the rectangular duct from a piece of car innertube back in like 84 - still there, still works. I bought new defrost ducts about that time. The hoses still appear good but the fittings are rotten. I thought about 3d printing new ones, but PVC could work nicely.

You can form PVC with a heat gun. Measure the oval circumference, match that to a round section fitting. Heat the fitting and then press it in place quickly using a glove. It should be easier to stretch a slightly smaller fitting to fit than to collapse an over sized one. Silicon calking is an option too.
I'll look into these, thanks

Are you sure about them being oval, I have round hose connections ones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom