6th Gen 4Runner news and rumors (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I predict that Gen 6 4 Runner will either be what would have been called a Highlander TRD Off-road or a remake of the Fj Cruiser.

I hope I am wrong and we get the Toyota equivalent of the new Bronco.

I predict that Gen 6 4 Runner will either be what would have been called a Highlander TRD Off-road or a remake of the Fj Cruiser.
It won’t be either.

The Highlander is unibody. The 4Runner is body-on-frame and has sold around 150,000 units per year in the US. Toyota is not going to jeopardize those sales by changing it to unibody.

Nor is it going to be an FJ Cruiser. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th Gen have all had four doors, The 6th Gen will too. Besides, Toyota executives in the past have said that they won’t sell another short-wheelbase, 2-door off-road vehicle in the US — apparently Toyota has been sued many times for FJ Cruiser rollovers.

It isn’t clear yet just how the 4Runner will fit into the lineup below the 250. But there is no way in hell that it will be based on the Highlander or a short-wheelbase FJ successor.

What to do.....

I have a G5 4R that has been super reliable, now over 100k and no issues.....blackstone oil sample came back not long ago good to go, all internals playing nice with one another and no signs of excessive wear.

The current Tundra has over 20 recalls/issues according to my guy at local dealer.....and we havent seen the new Taco yet.

I find myself tempted to purchase the last of the G5 4R's....its a rock solid known entity that is super reliable.

the fact that what appears to be a 2025 4R was spotted in the US suggests to me that its going to be built in the US instead of Japan.....

some new photos...

prototype was testing in Arizona on Greenway Avenue and 55th Ave., close to the Toyota proving grounds (in Wittman).

2025 toyota 4 runner 2.JPG

2025 toyota 4 runner.jpg

Spy shot 2025 toyota 4runner 6th gen prototype.jpg

2025 toyota 4runner 6th gen prototype spied 1.jpg

Talked to my buddy who works at Toyota HQ and he said the just got the 4R in and it awesome. He said it follows the same line as the Toaco and Tundra, it’s bigger than the Gen 5 and will have the same engines choices as the Taco. He also said it’s going to be even more expensive than the Gen 5.

Seems like Toyota has really blurred the lines of every BOF vehicle they make and not really making any one stand out.

Talked to my buddy who works at Toyota HQ and he said the just got the 4R in and it awesome. He said it follows the same line as the Toaco and Tundra, it’s bigger than the Gen 5 and will have the same engines choices as the Taco. He also said it’s going to be even more expensive than the Gen 5.

Seems like Toyota has really blurred the lines of every BOF vehicle they make and not really making any one stand out.
I do wonder then how it will differ from the 250. It seems like there will be a lot of overlap.

manufacturing efficiency is key for these automakers, they all about maximizing that bottom line.

Made in Japan or US?

I have to admit that with the new Tundra having something like 20 recalls for all sorts of things, many fairly significant.....and the 2024 taco seemingly not yet avail.......I have serious concerns about a wholesale shift to a new drive train away from one that is rock solid reliable....and now they're going to make it MORE expensive?

They did this in 2000 with the tundra and it was a nightmare with the front end issues, cracking exhaust manifolds, the short skirted pistons.....the list goes on.

Still made in Japan, which is going to make some things different from the Taco because they would have to ship some very large parts to Japan at an extremely high cost. I can’t say what they are at the moment though.

I find myself tempted to purchase the last of the G5 4R's....its a rock solid known entity that is super reliable.
That’s exactly what I’m in the process of doing.

While the photo on the start of the video in the first post is sexy as hell, it sure doesn’t look like that’s what’s under the fabric on the test mule. I had a 1958on order, and still sort of do, but I doubt I’ll end up with one until a few years down to road.

That’s exactly what I’m in the process of doing.
Dealers have anticipated the rush to buy Gen 5s, because of the rash of recalls on the new Tacoma and Tundra and delays on the 250 and Gen 6 (and the now revealed 250 price tags.) So Gen 5 prices, especially for the more sought after models like the TRD Pro have gone up. $62K for a TRD Pro. This is from a dealer that normally sells no higher than MSRP, until now that is...
1709520411418.jpeg

Yikes! Any time I see “market adjustment”, I can’t help but read “phuc yew”. I’m lucky that I don’t really care which trim level I get as long as it’s not a Limited (I don’t like the front end at all). The one I have my name on is an SR5. It’s for my wife, and I said “what do you want?” she replied with “silver and not cloth seats”. (If only the rest of her wish list was as easy!). The only inbound silver one is an SR5. Easy as pie. And easier on the wallet too. Dealer is promising MSRP.

Dealer is now low balling me hard on my Tundra. I’m not pleased. Might be a year before I move now. Plenty of time for all this new stuff to shake out a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom