40 series general tech and classifieds (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can almost guarantee a 12/78 is/was sold and titled as a 79. Should have 3.73 gears and NOT an overdrive 4 speed.

I wondered about the 'overdrive' description as well until I saw the other shifter near the driver's seat. Wonder if it has a Ranger box in there or something.

I wondered about the 'overdrive' description as well until I saw the other shifter near the driver's seat. Wonder if it has a Ranger box in there or something.

Totally missed that. Looks like it does have a Ranger or Fairley overdrive. Damn..

Things that tell me it is a '78 or at least not a '79:
Gas tank under the passenger seat which is leaking!
Floor pans and seat mounts
Rounded bezel
Hardtop is a '76 or older - no vent Windows
Doors and side mirrors are also pre '77 right?

Last edited:
Is this a discussion on what it was titled as from a year standpoint? I ask because most late calendar year production vehicles are typically titled as the following calendar year. Example, our Jetta is a 12/06 production, but would be titled as an 07. I use it as an example because it is actually a late production 06. VW wasn't ready for the new Diesel emissions standards and ran long production on the 06 model. Gassers of the same production were called 07 models, but ours is called an 06.5. 06 drivetrain with an 07 body and amenities.

I know little about the production methods in the later model 40s, but I would suspect that since it is a late calendar year production, it was titled as a 79 because it wouldn't have landed state-side until after the first of 79 anyway. As far as the other oddities, I got nothing, but its just up the road from my office if someone really needs the full story on it.

I am in the market for a fj40 soft top, preferably with a Paki top. I am not interested in hard top. I am getting old and taking that botch off got old. I want a tailgate so I can get my 100lbs GSD in the back. JS or nothing in the back. Not sure what year I should get since there seems to be years with better motors and bad metal and vice versa. Thoughts or Ideas?

Anything with a soft top and a tailgate standard is pre 65 so anything you want is a converted custom rig.

Most people that install soft tops on later model trucks just put flimsey metal Plates where the tailgate goes or use 1/2 amby doors.

Factory drop down tailgates are ultra rare. They sell for over $1000 in crap condition.

All that said because if you are looking for that combo you may be looking forever.

I am in the market for a fj40 soft top, preferably with a Paki top. I am not interested in hard top. I am getting old and taking that botch off got old. I want a tailgate so I can get my 100lbs GSD in the back. JS or nothing in the back. Not sure what year I should get since there seems to be years with better motors and bad metal and vice versa. Thoughts or Ideas?
See the one in FL in the classified section?
BTW, how does the tailgate make getting the dog in easier than the early half doors?

For Sale: - 1970 FST - Restored to be used!

Last edited:
See the one in FL in the classified section?
BTW, how does the tailgate make getting the dog in easier than the early half doors?

For Sale: - 1970 FST - Restored to be used!

It doesn't. I should of been clear. I don't want ambulance doors with a hardtop. Even the 40s without a hardtop but with the old ambulance doors, screw in place immovable tailgate isn't what I need since the dog can't jump over that.

I do like that one for about 15k.

Limiting yourself to a FST model really reduces the options but the repo tops out there are really nice. Repo tailgates are available now too so don't let that stop you. As you said, the earlier rucks had better steel but the later drivetrains are a plus too. I happen to think its easier to upgrade mechanicals than do body work do I like the earlier trucks.

What the Boss was also saying is that a tailgate will be same height as open 1/2 doors.

I too love the tailgate but they are rare.

Catch Andy before he spends all that $ on paint and you will have your truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom