4 speed hard to get out of first gear ????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hertzlayton.com
I have a 4 speed out of a 84 fj60 I have found some times but not all the time it's a little hard to get out of first gear. I have to ram the shifter forward and back a few times and then it will disengage. It goes in just fine. Just getting it out of gear is the problem. All other gears are fine.

I have the trans out right now and will be swapping it into my 40. Wondering if it's something I can take the top cover off and fix? Or something easy? Or more of a full rebuild kind of thing?

Any of you have any experience with this problem?

Check the shifter seat? But if you can get to all other gears fine then it might not be the problem.

Could it be your clutch starting to go? I know that when most clutches go (at least on my old cars) they would be very hard to get into gear and then would slip, wondering if the same could happen getting out..

check fluid level?

clutch fluid level. mine gets that way from a leaky slave have to fill every few months.

It could either be a problem in the cover or in the tranny itself. You would want to find out which before you put it in. You don't want a transmission with a gear problem.

So with the trans out and sitting on the ground. I can shift through the gears 1-2-3-4th and it will shift just fine 9 out of 10 times. When it does stick in first if I jiggle the shifter it will come out if first gear. I checked the fluid level in the trans and it's ok. Any other thoughts? I would rather not have to take the top off but I will if I have to.

Here's a pic of the trans/t-case
Before I put the shifter in to run it through the gears.

image-2642913312.jpg

I had an H42 do that. It would lock in 1st and force would not clear it. I found that if I put a little tension on the stick away from me (LHD) the forks slid fine. I learned live with it until I swapped in an H55. No solutions. Sorry.

I had an H42 do that. It would lock in 1st and force would not clear it. I found that if I put a little tension on the stick away from me (LHD) the forks slid fine. I learned live with it until I swapped in an H55. No solutions. Sorry.
I have found the same thing! I bought a new shift seat thinking that might help.... Nope if anything it sticks more now. But if I put pressure on the shifter (to the right away from me) it comes out and works fine. I need to figure out why and what I can do to fix it.

Sounds almost like there is something sticking when you are in first gear. Wonder if there is a burr on one of the gears or something that is only occassionally catching.

What do the clutch and fly wheel look like? May be grasping at straws.

There is also a little plastic piece on the tip of the shifter. If this is worn or missing...

It's a cheap part if you are doing the seat and worth a try if it looks bad.

DOug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom