3FE heads on 2F head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i've seen and heard about putting the dual 3fe manifold on a carb'd 2f head but i havent been able to find any real info on how to do it or what you would need besides the mani's can anyone point me in the direction of build threads with details about the conversion?

There are a few threads about building what is called a 2FE... Basically what you are looking at is a "stroked" 3FE. There is a large write-up floating around on the web somewhere with all the parts that would be needed.. There is a considerable amount of planning needed for the different accessories due to the fact that things like the alternator, ps pump, ac change between 2F and 3FE due to the different head. Gotta use the search button.

There are a few threads about building what is called a 2FE... Basically what you are looking at is a "stroked" 3FE. There is a large write-up floating around on the web somewhere with all the parts that would be needed.. There is a considerable amount of planning needed for the different accessories due to the fact that things like the alternator, ps pump, ac change between 2F and 3FE due to the different head. Gotta use the search button.

i was actually planning on keeping the carb'd 2F but wanted to put the 3FE exhaust manifolds on it with the 2F intake... i wanted to do a split exhaust and the 3FE exhaust manifolds make that possible

Not sure if 3FE exhaust manifolds would work on a 2F. I think the ports are different sizes or something like that. Get a good header and call it done.

Ok yeah I am pretty sure that the mounting pattern as well as the ports are different sized. No way to mix and match the manifolds unfortunately. No real benefit for a dual exhaust on the straight six from what I remember.

big gay 2.jpg

I thought that at first but then I heard about this bad boy, I think its the big gay 2F, and it has a carb'd 2F head and intake with 3FE exhaust, I don't have the money to buy headers but I can afford a pull off set of 3FE mani's

oh they work on a 2f...they work GRRRRREAT on a 2f...not for the faint of heart or pay to play crowd...this is a mechanic mod and is irreversible as far as the manifolds are concerned. cannot smog, but they make for a great sounding motor...3FE exhaust manifold on carb'd 2F head

2F++part3

@LAMBCRUSHER luckily my Dad (who is helping and providing years of experience) and i work in a restoration shop and have some experience... We're not afraid of voiding warranties if you know what i mean ;). is the mate up really just as simple as it seems with a little modification to the tabs where the bolts hold it all to the head?

you must also relive the base of the 2F manifold where the old exhaust mated up to it- this is how it is irreversible on the intake side. the exhaust side is irreversible due to the milling down of the mounting tabs...if it weren't for smog, I'd default to this mod on all 2Fs...

@LAMBCRUSHER what advantages does this have besides the dual exhaust and less warpage/better flow? Any noticeable performance advantage?

I think you answered your own question...

read thru the thread I linked and look closely at the pictures. There is a link in that thread to another thread with even more pics. you will see where the intake has to be cut. I know the videos aren't great, but the engine that you hear is running cold, on its first run in about a year- I think you'd be hard pressed to get that kind of breathing from a 2F manifold. A 2f header is a compromse at best when it comes to mounting and durability. this motor pushes my fj55 over 80 MPH on the freeway/ up mountain roads at over 60 or as fast as I can turn the wheel. cruises at 3500 RPM- I've had it to just under 5K and there was still room... it does have a delta KC289 cam, but it's the flow that it's coupled with that really brings it together...the 3FE manifolds will last forever, and hopefully will let the gasket live longer. equal or better flow than 2F headers and half the heat escaping them into the engine bay. all of that, and they're a toyota part, so you know.

read thru the thread I linked and look closely at the pictures. There is a link in that thread to another thread with even more pics. you will see where the intake has to be cut. I know the videos aren't great, but the engine that you hear is running cold, on its first run in about a year- I think you'd be hard pressed to get that kind of breathing from a 2F manifold. A 2f header is a compromse at best when it comes to mounting and durability. this motor pushes my fj55 over 80 MPH on the freeway/ up mountain roads at over 60 or as fast as I can turn the wheel. cruises at 3500 RPM- I've had it to just under 5K and there was still room... it does have a delta KC289 cam, but it's the flow that it's coupled with that really brings it together...the 3FE manifolds will last forever, and hopefully will let the gasket live longer. equal or better flow than 2F headers and half the heat escaping them into the engine bay. all of that, and they're a toyota part, so you know.

I'd like to take a ride in that one day...

Just started on this today. I had a spare 2F intake on hand so I can take my time in working it over. Already past the point of no return with trimming on one side :D. So far about :banana: easy, test fit, trim, test fit, trim, test fit....you get the idea. I'm looking forward to having a quieter exhaust and one that dumps the fumes from only one point instead of leaking like a sieve.

I'M NOT SURE HOW MUCH QUIETER IT IS....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom