300 series rumors??? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry but not sorry, LC is going to keep making LC's until the earth stops spinning. I just hope they don't mess it up like Land Rover "Tata" is doing to the LR4 by making it look much more rounded and putting in weak motors

Sorry but not sorry, LC is going to keep making LC's until the earth stops spinning. I just hope they don't mess it up like Land Rover "Tata" is doing to the LR4 by making it look much more rounded and putting in weak motors

I'm with Angelo. It appears that LR have destroyed the Discovery line. Though I haven't yet seen the specs on the coming LR4 replacement there are enough "mule" shots and other info to show that it looks much like a Ford Explorer. More importantly, it loses considerable weight. This may be great for the average mall-crawler. But I expect that the specs will be less about off road and adventure and more about MPG and so on.

I moved to the LC for its towing capacity and decent off road chops. The LX wouldn't do it for me because of the significantly lower towing capacity compared to an LC. If Toyota stops making the LC and the Sequoia, they won't have a decent towing SUV.

It makes money in the U.S., even with low volume (which is growing) it makes money.

MY/19: 4.5l V8 Gas/electric hybrid LC in US with insane torque .
5l TTd Diesels and 3.5T Diesel/Electric hybrid LC in the enlightened world.
LX all gas world wide.
Thus says my crystal ball.

Is there a way to arrange a special ih8mud tour of Land Cruiser factory in Japan over a holiday weekend? I want to put the first pre-order for the 300. I also want to have a special luncheon meeting with their focus groups and engineers to make sure they don't put that stupid mouse control from the LX and remove those idiotic rear headrest screens. We can eat sushi, learn about Japanese culture that inspired them to produce the finest vehicle on earth. I have always been partial to Samurai history and culture.

Other topics to discuss in the meeting:
backup camera to activate immediately when car is turned on (the delay affects my reversing)
Need for Infrared windshield for UV protection, consider double pane glass
Seat comfort improved
Improve remote start so its usable
Fix Range function so it gives realistic and accurate numbers
Larger gas tank so I don't need to be filling gas daily
Improving BT phone quality
Better brakes, extra touchy like 100
Bring back compass
Offering better solution to remove LX hydraulic suspension to replace with springs
Change name of LX570 just to LX

All they really have to do is look at the 80 and just make some modern updates to style and technology. Done.

It makes money in the U.S., even with low volume (which is growing) it makes money.
At $80k for a new LC they could coat my Sonora Gold paint in actual gold and still turn a profit :D

At $80k for a new LC they could coat my Sonora Gold paint in actual gold and still turn a profit :D

I've always been curious what Toyota's actual COST is per US-version LC.

Anyone able to pull that figure out of their magic hat?

I've always been curious what Toyota's actual COST is per US-version LC.

Anyone able to pull that figure out of their magic hat?

Just manufacturing cost (COGS), or do you include R&D?

Given the amount of Sequoia and Tundra parts that are essentialy shared, I suspect the LC and the Sequoia are similar cost to produce since Toyota spreads a lot of the R&D over all their full size trucks and SUVs.

Just manufacturing cost (COGS), or do you include R&D?

Given the amount of Sequoia and Tundra parts that are essentialy shared, I suspect the LC and the Sequoia are similar cost to produce since Toyota spreads a lot of the R&D over all their full size trucks and SUVs.

Ah... Good question. R&D must be huge and hard to tie to a single model, so it's probably a difficult figure to really track down...
Guess I'm curious about both over-all (production +R&D average per unit & just production).

My wishlist for the 300:
  • Mount the spare on the back where it belongs.
  • Use the space gained to fold the rear seats into the damn floor
  • Larger fuel tank
  • Nav system that just uses Apple/Android CarPlay
All of those are unlikely, I suspect. What I think Toyota is most likely to do to the 300:
  • Cylinder deactivation to improve highway mileage (which avoids affecting HP/torque when its desired)
  • Offer some sort of hybrid version (years ago Toyota stated they would offer all vehicles with a hybrid option by 2020), though it may just be a mild hybrid
  • Additional safety features, including additional level 2/level 3 automation (like Volvo's "City Safety" automatic braking).
Keep in mind at least in the US, the majority of LC buyers are still mall-crusers, and what they want is better gas mileage and more safety. Things like a larger fuel tank increase weight, which accomplishes the exact opposite.

Sorry @Reckless, I don't see Toyota making any of those changes except perhaps for improved BT (though I have zero gripes about its performance for either music or phone calls on my 2013). I hope they prove me wrong and you right thought!

Ah... Good question. R&D must be huge and hard to tie to a single model, so it's probably a difficult figure to really track down...
Guess I'm curious about both over-all (production +R&D average per unit & just production).

If I was a competitor (or an investor) who wanted to know I would read their 10K filing and try to back out the numbers

http://www.toyota-global.com/pages/contents/investors/ir_library/annual/pdf/2014/ar14_e.pdf

In 2014, Toyota spent 910B Yen on R&D (about $9.1B USD). They calculate production cost at 20T Yen ($200B USD) + about 20% overhead (SG&A). So total R&D is about 4% of revenue, and that's spread across all their vehicles (though I doubt it's spread evenly - there's way more R&D in the Prius than the Yaris for instance).

Someone with more time on their hands could look up production #s for the different vehicles and come up with a number that's closer than the average, especially if you started looking at MSRP and trying to work out what the expected margin is per vehicle.

I'm with Angelo. It appears that LR have destroyed the Discovery line. Though I haven't yet seen the specs on the coming LR4 replacement there are enough "mule" shots and other info to show that it looks much like a Ford Explorer. More importantly, it loses considerable weight. This may be great for the average mall-crawler. But I expect that the specs will be less about off road and adventure and more about MPG and so on.

I moved to the LC for its towing capacity and decent off road chops. The LX wouldn't do it for me because of the significantly lower towing capacity compared to an LC. If Toyota stops making the LC and the Sequoia, they won't have a decent towing SUV.

Thanks Dan. I have seen the pics of the new model Discovery and I'm sad for Land Rover losing its identity whether I own one or not. Have you taken your LC out on the trail yet? Can you give us a comparison of the LC and LR4 from your experience so far? These two hold a lot of history, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the two.

& more interior storage. Better center console.

When I first got the vehicle, I shared your sentiment. But I may be the only one who likes the chiller and store my water bottles there.

I forgot to mention improve departure angles in my list.

When I first got the vehicle, I shared your sentiment. But I may be the only one who likes the chiller and store my water bottles there.

I forgot to mention improve departure angles in my list.

Not the only one. I LOVE the center cooler!

I do think they could have easily made a more useful storage space over it, though, rather than the tiny little 1" tall strip of storage that's there. If you put cards, in there, they often fall out when the cooler is opened...so ya...the storage in there is rather humorous.

For storage, I've found success with little zippered cases in the door and in the glove box...also under the seat. When I get out of the hospital, and can walk again, I'll enjoy finally having a chance to organize my new ARB drawers (yippee!)...but with a bit of creativity, the interior storage is doable.

All they really have to do is look at the 80 and just make some modern updates to style and technology. Done.

Exactly this. The 80 is the best looking LC and they should go back to its character and charm.

As long as we are all speculating... I say LC lives on in the U.S. The only reason we have the top of the top of the top of the line LC in the U.S. is that this is how they make money on it.... I don't think we will ever get a bare bones LC but we will get the loaded one for sure... It's not like They are doing all this R and D just for the U.S. Market... They do it for all the other markets and just sell what they can here in the U.S.

I was thinking by the fall of 2017 we see the 300 in the U.S. But I have nothing but speculation for this

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom