300 series rumors??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2017 land cruiser just landed on toyota's website... Any news or rumors on a new 300?

I've been thinking the same thing.... I call it '300 Dreaming.' I am already putting aside funds for it. But I am scared Toyota will do something radical and ruin the perfect balance this vehicle has. If that's the case I will buy another 200.

I've been doubting they will increase hp at the expense of fuel economy. If they followed previous generations we can expect 1" wider, 1" longer. I am scared they may lower the vehicle to improve drag resistance also to improve fuel economy. That's one big fear that I have that Toyota will focus on how to improve fuel efficiency and will ruin the comfort of the vehicle. I pray to God they remove those ugly screens from the back of the front head rest. I don't think they will get rid of the tailgate or the chairs that fold on the walls. I hope they decide to put an IR blocking windshield. I hope they don't try to decrease the weight of the vehicle, I like my 6000 lb Bruiser. 8 speed transmission is probably standard but I am not sure if I believe in the longevity of them - can they really do 400,000 miles? Maybe add a few more airbags for safety.

I am afraid that the 200 is soo near perfection that it is going to be hard not to mess up going to the 300. The leap from 100 to 200 in terms of finish was huge. I wonder if Toyota can pull off something vastly improved. I personally hate the new nav/audio setup. I prefer my 2009 style. I also sometimes wonder if Toyota will even bother to release a 300 and delay it awhile longer.

based on info I have heard...they might discontinue it just like the FJ Cruiser.

Sales volumes are in the toilet and the LX570 out sells it. I wouldn't doubt that they might even just have the LX570 and not have the LC.

I think worries of a disappearing LC are unfounded. Toyota has NO OTHER such legendary vehicle, and it's a huge part of their cultural identity. I can't even count how many huge Toyota dealerships have at least one beautiful 40 series somewhere in their showroom. What other true icon does Toyota have? Answer: None. They've got other fantastic vehicles with stellar reputations, but nothing even comes close to the Land Cruiser. I'll eat my hat...and yours...if it goes away. Toyota doesn't mind obscure and niche, and they value history and the concept of "legendary."

I will not be interested if they go forced induction like the overstressed 3.5LTT Ford uses in the Navigator/F-150, to get an extra 1mpg. Nothing wrong with forced induction, and it has benefits at altitude, I just don't need or want it. Not too big of a deal to me as I can't afford a new one anyway! I do hope the 300 stays naturally aspirated.

Last edited:
I think worries of a disappearing LC are unfounded. Toyota has NO OTHER such legendary vehicle, and it's a huge part of their cultural identity. I can't even count how many huge Toyota dealerships have at least one beautiful 40 series somewhere in their showroom. What other true icon does Toyota have? Answer: None. They've got other fantastic vehicles with stellar reputations, but nothing even comes close to the Land Cruiser. I'll eat my hat...and yours...if it goes away. Toyota doesn't mind obscure and niche, and they value history and the concept of "legendary."

I agree. They might not sell many in North America, but this is a global vehicle and still profitable for Toyota.

Also, considering the 2016 was a new body style which only came out a year ago, I wouldn't expect a new model until at least mid 2018 or 2019.

Last edited:
I am also in the camp that the LC will be discontinued in the USA. It doesn't make much sense to me that the Lexus is such a similar vehicle and price point as well as the limited LC sales numbers. I believe the Sequoia will be the premium Toyota SUV.

They aren't going to keep producing a USA vehicle that is selling only 6 per day nationwide, legendary or not.

My bet is that the 300 will be released in 2020... nice round numbers. :D

In 2015 Toyota sold 120k+ LC200's and 27k+ LX 570's.

Updated models came out later in the year so i have no doubts that the full year sales for 2016 will show higher figures.

Last edited:
S
The 200 Series platform ( LX and Land Cruiser combined ) sold around 150k+ vehicles last year. ( 120K+ Land Cruisers and the rest LX ) .
Keep in mind the updated version came out later in the year, no doubt sales will have improved since then.

Source? I found that Toyota pushes about 200 LC's per month in the USA: Toyota Land Cruiser US car sales figures

But these low sales numbers are not new. It's been roughly the same since 2000, but Toyota has continued to invest in the Land Cruiser's development and bring our market new models. The LC is an extremely expensive vehicle and an obscenely expensive Toyota, so sales numbers have never been in the Camry realm.

But they have repeat customers and always will. The few who get it, buy them and will probably always own at least one at a given time.

It's Toyota's halo vehicle. Like any Halo vehicle, it's designed to be aspirational and to represent what the company is capable of producing.

Ford doesn't move a lot of GT's, Acura doesn't move a lot of NSX's, Nissan doesn't sell a lot of GT-R's. It's just even more badass that Toyota has a pavement crushing bruiser of a 4x4 as its halo vehicle.

BSCB Exclusive: Discover the Top 1400 best-selling cars in the world

You need to subscribe, it used to be free but it isn't anymore.
Anyway, the figures in the link are world wide figures not only US sales.

Land Cruiser sells like crazy in the Middle East, UN buys an insane amount too, armoring companies love them, lots of NGO's use them and they sell tons of them in Australia, Russia, China and many African countries.

LX is also doing extremely well in the Middle East and after the recent update and the introduction of the LX450d it is doing great in Russia too.

It might seem like they only make 1000 a year because they sell so little in the US but the truth is it is a very common vehicle in many parts of the world and it makes Toyota tons of $$$$

Last edited:
my guess it that they will still build them but not import them to the USA due to the success of the LX and sequoia. Regardless of everybody opinion, none of us will know until it happens.

Which is indecent of you to post without details. ;)

Last edited:
I would absolutely be surprised. It's Toyota's flagship vehicle in the US and abroad and they make good money on it despite low volume sales in the US market. I'm excited at the prospects.

There is no more Sequoia, I was told by my Toyota dealer it was discontinued in 2016 and will not be carried forward for a 2017 model.

Any truth in that?

That would make the Land Cruiser the largest civilian vehicle for the US market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom