2H is knocking after injector rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So "Dont fix it if its not broke", well I had my injectors rebuild, put them in and started her up. Sounded good and alot less smoke than before. Started down driveway and the engine knocked a little. Doesnt knock when idling.

I moved the injectors around and even losened the fuel lines. I narrowed it down to #3 cylinder, which was by far the worst injector before rebuild. Im not a mechanic and this is my first diesel. Any suggestion what I should do next?

It was suggested to take the injector out, put some "Top end cleaner" in the injector port and let it sit for a day. Then start it for a second with the injector out and see if any carbon comes out. I was informed carbon build up from a leaky injector can make the knocking sound.

Any one know a good diesel mechanic around Oregon City, OR?

Yea my 3b does this too. im thinkin maybe cause i didnt carve the deposits out before i threw em in. figured it would jus burn it out. mivbt take em all out and clean again... runs good though my knock is intermittent. Sometimes louder other times not so much.

I bought some seafoam lube/cleaner. Going to try spraying a little in injection port and letting it sit for a few hours. Will start it with injector out and see if any carbon comes out (crossing fingers) hopefully this will solve knocking till I can save up for an overhaul kit from roodogs in OZ.

Completed compressoon check

Had a mobile diesel mechanic do a compression check and this is what he reported:
"Running rich" recommends: Injection pump inspect/rebuild, new fuel lines.
#1-N/A Couldn't get reading probably bad reader
#2-410
#3-405
#4-410
#5-410
#6-405 has air bubbles when nut is loosened at the injector.

Skeptical on results because he had to manually release the pressure from the gage, the release button was not working. He was having troubles with it even reading at all, he had to tweak it. End result is it still knocks when rpm are higher,not at idle. Will try bleeding the fuel line first to see if it just air in the line.

So "Dont fix it if its not broke", well I had my injectors rebuild, put them in and started her up. Sounded good and alot less smoke than before. Started down driveway and the engine knocked a little. Doesnt knock when idling.

I moved the injectors around and even losened the fuel lines. I narrowed it down to #3 cylinder, which was by far the worst injector before rebuild. Im not a mechanic and this is my first diesel. Any suggestion what I should do next?

It was suggested to take the injector out, put some "Top end cleaner" in the injector port and let it sit for a day. Then start it for a second with the injector out and see if any carbon comes out. I was informed carbon build up from a leaky injector can make the knocking sound.

Any one know a good diesel mechanic around Oregon City, OR?

Was the engine knocking before the injectors were replaced?

Engine didnt knock prior to injector rebuild, now it knocks speratically when reving it up.

A red hot glowing chunk of carbon in the cylinder shouldn't cause knock, glow plugs can run red hot without inducing knock! It really sounds like a timing issue. Whoever reconditioned your injectors should be able to diagnose the problem for you (for free)!

A red hot glowing chunk of carbon in the cylinder shouldn't cause knock, glow plugs can run red hot without inducing knock! It really sounds like a timing issue. Whoever reconditioned your injectors should be able to diagnose the problem for you (for free)!

He bought some reco injectors from a 3rd party. I doubt that implies they have some kind of responsibity to adjust timing or diagnose other mechanical problems.
In any case,if it has a timing issue now,it would have been there before the new injectors were installed.

This is why I would always buy injectors direct from the injection shop so if there is a problem they can check the work they were paid to do

The injectors were rebuilt by a pro and tested for flow. There were air bubbles bubbles coming from the fuel line nut from injector #6. Will try bleeding the fuel line and see if its air in the line. If not ill try the timing. I was also thinking.maybe the fuel flow was advanced do to old injectors. All this is making me think its not worth the headache and should do a engine swap.

Thanks for the follow up :beer: wich injector #? (6 or 3 ?) how did you fix it? :wrench:

That carbon was forced in from the carbon deposit in the engine? So you have to try to clean the cilinder side first and turn the engine over without glowplugs and injectors to get the carbon out?

The first start kind of messed up the new injectors?
The "mecanic" you hired... :censor:

Did you get a test paper with the specs, values and measures with the injectors?

it was cylinder number 6, ended up going to a diesel mechanic who fixed the injector for free, because I had him put it in the new glow plugs and relay, valve adjustment and timing and other stuff. I don't have the specs in front of me but the injectors were dead on. and the compression was close to specs.

I went to JC Auto Care in Lake Oswego Oregon. he's a diesel mechanic, works on fleet vehicles like dodge sprinters. There a very honest shop and have a reasonable shop rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom