Time to rebuild my 1HDT injector looking for advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It is time to rebuild the pump in my ‘92 HDJ80. It is starting to leak and my fuel mileage is even worse than the usual bad. Doing research now and the more I read the more I am getting conflicting opinions. Some advice would be nice.

I am going to be buying all OEM unless I can be convinced there is a better option.

If I get a standard reseal kit, will that include everything I should need for the pump itself? And I bought a new cutoff solenoid so I already have that.

When it comes to this engine, should I either buy new, remanufactured or refurbished injectors and is refurb or reman something a qualified shop should be able to do and is that the best option?

Are there other things that should be done at the same time since the pump is off that would be directly related to this pump? I am going to do a ACSD delete since I am there and I heard that the timing belt replacement is suggested although mine is relatively new. But so easy on this engine so why not? But is there anything else?

My shop recommended an aftermarket tweaking that will give me more power. Since I know absolutely nothing about the mechanics of the pump, is there a reason this would be a risky move as long as I trust my mechanic?

Have a pump shop do the pump and injectors, unless you have the suite of testing equipment that a diesel shop needs

I'd do that if I could take out the pump and replace it after it is done. Not something I'm comfortable doing on my own. Burt I would rather send it off to someone like that trust me.

Have your shop pull the pump and injectors and send them to DFIS. Rebuilding and calibrating diesel injection systems is best left to shops that specialize in precisely that. Your average mechanic shop, even a diesel or Toyota shop, will not have the equipment to do it right.

I appreciate that. I trust this guy and he is one of the only guys in Atlanta Georgia that will work on my truck. But he definitely does not only work on pumps. Maybe someone can tell me this. Is there anything special about removing, the reinstalling the pump and injectors as long as you have the general knowledge of the equipment? That is, after it has been rebuilt by a pro shop?

I appreciate that. I trust this guy and he is one of the only guys in Atlanta Georgia that will work on my truck. But he definitely does not only work on pumps. Maybe someone can tell me this. Is there anything special about removing, the reinstalling the pump and injectors as long as you have the general knowledge of the equipment? That is, after it has been rebuilt by a pro shop?
It's no different to a VE pumped dodge Cummins or any other diesel really.

Any reasonably competent mechanic will be able to remove and reinstall injectors and pump. It is just the calibration of said parts that requires specialized equipment and skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom