2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Save for the lack of KDSS, how does the stock suspension on the LC250 compare to the GX550 OT? Are they similar heights and technology? Would just throwing 33" A/Ts on the LC250 may it a near copy of the GX setup?
I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. Maybe the couple folks who were at the reveal who also know enough to tell the difference. Likely they are the same. GX gets V6 and ekdss while LC gets sway disconnect and hybrid. My guess is ride height and everything else is roughly the same.

I can't believe there are 166 pages here. Obviously can't even consider pawing through any of it

Just wanted to post a FYI, if you haven't seen yet the crew at Xoverland just did a cool walk around at the land cruiser museum .

Anyone else think the fact that you have to prop the hood up with a stick and the rear tailgate doesn't drop down is more depressing than everything else lol . Definitely a bad ass vehicle but I am starting to lean towards the mentality of , its an awesome vehicle but it just isn't a land cruiser... Idk

I can't believe there are 166 pages here. Obviously can't even consider pawing through any of it

Just wanted to post a FYI, if you haven't seen yet the crew at Xoverland just did a cool walk around at the land cruiser museum .

Anyone else think the fact that you have to prop the hood up with a stick and the rear tailgate doesn't drop down is more depressing than everything else lol . Definitely a bad ass vehicle but I am starting to lean towards the mentality of , its an awesome vehicle but it just isn't a land cruiser... Idk
Have you ever heard the expression "this meeting could have been email"? I can't stop thinking "this Land Cruiser could have been a 4Runner." I like the design of the truck but I think it could have been closer to the GX550 without hurting each other's sales. I think it should have gotten the TTV6 and E-KDSS and it would be perfect. I think it is overpriced for what it is. If they wanted a base model 1958 with the 4 cyl and no KDSS, fine, but price it below $50k.

Here is how I would have segmented Toyota's lineup, priced up for the improved powerplant and everything.

4Runner SR5- Turbo 4 non hybrid $45k
4Runner TRD Off Road Premium- Turbo 4 Max, Rear Locker $50k
LC250 1958- Turbo 4 Max, Center + Rear Locker, Full Time 4WD $50k
4Runner Trailhunter- Turbo 4 Max, Rear Lock, Swaybar Disconnect, OME shocks $55k
4Runner TRD-Pro- Turbo 4 Max, Rear Lock, Swaybar Disconnect, Fox shocks, Goofy new seat $60k
LC250 Land Cruiser- TTV6, Center + Rear Lock, Full Time 4WD, E-KDSS $65k+

Personally, I don't care for the 1958 (I like the styling, but not the features), but since some people like it....

And for those of you still looking for a Bronco/Wrangler fighter.... new Open Top FJ Cruiser on the same platform.

Base- Turbo 4 non hybrid, rear locker ~$45k
Trailhunter- Turbo 4 Max, Front and Rear Locker, Swaybar disconnect, OME Shocks ~$55k
Trail Teams- TTV6 Max, Front and Rear Locker, Swaybar disconnect, Fox Shocks, Goofy Seat Raptor fighter $85k+

Last edited:
What I'm curious about is the drivetrain. 250 gets an 8 speed the 550 gets a 10. The 250 has a 6000LB towing capacity and the 550 has an 8000lb towing capacity. Does this mean the tcases and rear axles are different in the two? Gear ratios the same?
I think it is engine dependent. The new Tacoma with the same hybrid engine loses 500 lbs of capacity compared to the non hybrid.

Screenshot_20230803_203719_Chrome.jpg

Toyota says a lot of things to help marketing. We'll see when it comes out. I think the two are going to be a lot more the same than different.

This is what I think too.

And generally, the TNGA-F platform will make Toyota offerings more similar than different, especially in their underpinnings. It's hard to fully see that quite yet because all of the models aren't yet released, and because we perceive the new models through the more-stark differences that distinguished them in the past.

nges made for a modern market, but the 250 is a Land Cruiser at heart, or at least a true attempt to bring it back to its roots while tending to the markets at hand. Se

I started a separate thread for this question, but it was suggested I post it here:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am strongly considering purchasing a 2024 LC250, but the thought that more interesting trims and colors may be offered for the next model year is giving me pause.

To be clear, I think the LC looks great, and the specs are more than I would ever need coming from an '09 Subaru Forester, but seeing it alongside the 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter makes it looks more pedestrian. No factory lift, no A/T tires, no Bronze Oxide.

Being that the First Edition is limited to only 5000 units, and that it will not be offered for the 2025 MY, it seems silly that there would only be two trims for the 2025 MY, the 1958 and self-titled Land Cruiser.

What are the odds they add a few more trims for the 2025 MY? What are your predictions on what may be offered? There looks to be vestigial cup holders in the cargo area, so I'm wondering if a 3rd row will be added by removing the large battery. I would love to see the TTV6, but honestly I would be happy with just a more aggressive off-road package. Maybe there will be some desirable factory accessories that will be announced later for the 2024 MY.

Glad to be part of the community! Just trying to avoid FOMO if things get more interesting next year!

Unless you are really blown away with a particular model, I don't think that it would be a bad thing to hold off a year. I would assume availability issues for the first year, and we have yet to see official pricing so once ADM is factored in, you may be in for pretty penny to be an early adopter.

From all the info that has come out with the Tacoma, GX and now LC, the mid size BoF's are going to be pretty good.

Personally, before making my decision, I want to see what the new 4Runner looks like and i want to see what the prices actually prices are on all the new models.

For example, considering they are all going to be pretty close, whats the price of a trail hunter Tacoma vs a base LC, and what's the the practical difference between the 4R and LC.

I was thinking that you could do a front end conversion on the GX550 to make it look like a Land Cruiser 250. But the hood and fenders are totally disproportionate in comparison.
Just thinking about a 250 V6 version.

FotoGrid_20230804_071116048.jpg

FotoGrid_20230804_070823148.jpg

THE 550 has much better lines....they really took the time to put details into it. You can even see the headlight washers on the 550...not even an option on the 250.
The more I compare, I like the GX better. I am on the waitlist for both at my local dealers.

The more I compare, I like the GX better. I am on the waitlist for both at my local dealers.
Agreed, it looks better and has a non-hybrid TTV6. If the reliability of the TTV6 checks out a decade from now when I'm in the market, I'm in.

I was thinking that you could do a front end conversion on the GX550 to make it look like a Land Cruiser 250. But the hood and fenders are totally disproportionate in comparison.
Just thinking about a 250 V6 version.

View attachment 3392089

View attachment 3392090

It looks like at least the hood and front fenders would need to be changed. But I’m sure there will be aftermarket bumpers soon enough so that the process wouldn’t be necessary. And hopefully whatever is made for the LC would also fit the GX. Although the GX would better benefit with a hidden type winch set up.

I'm lost on why ppl are so worried about the TT setup? Ford has been running them nonstop in their F150s and the world didn't stop.

Forced Air Induction is not new and have been used extensively in racing, diesel engines, etc...Toyota is not new to FAI and probably studied the hell out of Ford's designs.

Also, if you're that worried stop being cheap and buy an extended factory warranty?

Isn't the rear diff pumpkin the limiter on solid axle trucks. So you only gain ground clearance from tire size.
Correct, but with a lift you're still gaining approach, break over and departure clearance. These numbers are every bit as, if not more important than diff clearance.

I'm lost on why ppl are so worried about the TT setup? Ford has been running them nonstop in their F150s and the world didn't stop.

Forced Air Induction is not new and have been used extensively in racing, diesel engines, etc...Toyota is not new to FAI and probably studied the hell out of Ford's designs.

Also, if you're that worried stop being cheap and buy an extended factory warranty?
TT EcoBoosts are not in the same league as Toyota on reliability. Lots of timing chain issues, turbos going out at 150K-ish, etc. For a secondary market buyer like myself (picking something up 10 years from now), long-term reliability is a big deal, and TT engines (EcoBoosts especially) have proven to be maybe a 150-200K engine and not a 200-500K+ engine like a N/A Toyota V8. They require major and expensive services at higher mileage - one of my friends unloaded is EcoBoost at ~170K rather than dumping $5K in it for repairs.

When you are driving something 10-15+ years old you need to be able to easily and cheaply fix it on the side of the road. That is not an EcoBoost but is a 2UZ-FE. Maybe the 3.5TTV6 will benefit from Toyota engineering and be better. For a new vehicle buyer who will trade it in 5-10 years this is a non-issue.

Save for the lack of KDSS, how does the stock suspension on the LC250 compare to the GX550 OT? Are they similar heights and technology? Would just throwing 33" A/Ts on the LC250 may it a near copy of the GX setup?
Both have been shown with TOYO Open Country ATIII 265/70-18 so by pictures and videos, you can see the stance for each. No official detailed specs released or found and shown here anyway.
I think these tires are a true 32.6 diameter but Without a set of this size, hard to confirm how the TOYO'S actually measure. The 250 looks slightly higher with a stinkbug look in the rear but not sure if this GX picture is showing it at full height and the running boards of the GX may make it look lower.
GX:
1691157048721.png

250 first edition I believe:
1691157608177.png

TT EcoBoosts are not in the same league as Toyota on reliability. Lots of timing chain issues, turbos going out at 150K-ish, etc. For a secondary market buyer like myself (picking something up 10 years from now), long-term reliability is a big deal, and TT engines (EcoBoosts especially) have proven to be maybe a 150-200K engine and not a 200-500K+ engine like a N/A Toyota V8. They require major and expensive services at higher mileage - one of my friends unloaded is EcoBoost at ~170K rather than dumping $5K in it for repairs.

When you are driving something 10-15+ years old you need to be able to easily and cheaply fix it on the side of the road. That is not an EcoBoost but is a 2UZ-FE. Maybe the 3.5TTV6 will benefit from Toyota engineering and be better.

I respect that answer and is a very valid argument. FAI has a higher maintenance schedule than NA engine, and the mental mindset has to be changed that a turbo is considered a consumable with a limited duty cycle.

As all things human, ppl will find a way...I think complaining about it is healthy as long as it doesn't turn into a diatribe of acrid comments.

I respect that answer and is a very valid argument. FAI has a higher maintenance schedule than NA engine, and the mental mindset has to be changed that a turbo is considered a consumable with a limited duty cycle.

As all things human, ppl will find a way...I think complaining about it is healthy as long as it doesn't turn into a diatribe of acrid comments.
If the TTV6 checks out major issues being limited to periodic turbo replacement AND the turbo change is relatively easy to do as a DIY and don't require pulling the motor or front clip, then I will be in! Unfortunately we aren't going to know this for a very long time. My GX will be nearing the end at that time. A Cummins turbodiesel (especially pre-emissions version) definitely falls into that category of a bulletproof forced injection motor that will need a turbo every now and then and can be DIY'd.

The attraction to a NA Toyota V8 is that 1) they don't have major issues and 2) the issues they do have (SAIS, starter, exhaust manifolds, timing belt change) are all 100% DIY-able. Perhaps I'll be in the mindset a decade from now to buy a new rig and not care if I beat it on the trail, but these are the reasons I'm in a GX and not a Jeep.

When you are driving something 10-15+ years old you need to be able to easily and cheaply fix it on the side of the road. That is not an EcoBoost but is a 2UZ-FE. Maybe the 3.5TTV6 will benefit from Toyota engineering and be better. For a new vehicle buyer who will trade it in 5-10 years this is a non-issue.
It's a shame they de-tune the motor, there is a reason it is more reliable... I bet if they unleash the hp the Toyota TTV-6 reliability would come way down.
I have the 2019 TTV6 that is in the Raptor and 450hp and 510 lb-ft. I'm extremely concerned about this motor lasting very long but it will never be high mileage and damn it's fun to drive.
Even the LX is 409 hp and 479 lb-ft. It's kind of hard to compare the two as Ford designed theirs to get a lot more out of it while Toyota is taking the safe boring route they know so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom