Events/Trails 200s in Ouray Summer 2016 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2 weeks away and we have 24 200s confirmed! Pretty impressive! Can't wait to get down there and looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones.

Let's talk food: (some thoughts)

Breakfast: Last year we met early- so early that most hotels didn't have their freebies out yet. If this is the case this year, the Mouses Chocolate & Coffee on the main drag in town opens early and has excellent coffee and pastries.

Lunch: Pack them for each day or we can just stop on a trail and picnic. One year a land slide delayed us 2 hours...folks were handing out snacks that had extra.

Dinners: Last year we just agreed on a place and showed up and walked in since there were 8 rigs. This year with 22 this comes to 61 people. We can't just walk in. Do folks want to all eat together? If so @Canyonero agreed it would be a good idea for us to make reservations and own a place each night. We might have to pick two places and split up. Thoughts?

I know that @sleeoffroad is taking care of Friday Night dinner. But this leaves the first night (Thurs. after our meet & greet), Saturday night, and for most- Sunday night for dinners. I know everyone has a budget and some may want to eat in their rental, etc. I just don't want this to turn into crazy town if all 61 of us walk into a restaurant (I don't there there is one that could even seat that many).

Thoughts? If agreed, I can make reservations for the full group at various places in town. Dutch- of course. Or we can all be on our own and group up.

Note: One place just outside of town that if fun is the True Grit Cafe in Ridgeway. A famous scene from the John Wayne movie was filled there and it is like an old saloon. Their chicken fried steak is good. I have not eaten anything else. Could be an option one night. Just a few miles down the valley road.

Breakfast: Last year we met early- so early that most hotels didn't have their freebies out yet. If this is the case this year, the Mouses Chocolate & Coffee on the main drag in town opens early and has excellent coffee and pastries.

Lunch: Pack them for each day or we can just stop on a trail and picnic. One year a land slide delayed us 2 hours...folks were handing out snacks that had extra.

Dinners: Last year we just agreed on a place and showed up and walked in since there were 8 rigs. This year with 22 this comes to 61 people. We can't just walk in. Do folks want to all eat together? If so @Canyonero agreed it would be a good idea for us to make reservations and own a place each night. We might have to pick two places and split up. Thoughts?

I know that @sleeoffroad is taking care of Friday Night dinner. But this leaves the first night (Thurs. after our meet & greet), Saturday night, and for most- Sunday night for dinners. I know everyone has a budget and some may want to eat in their rental, etc. I just don't want this to turn into crazy town if all 61 of us walk into a restaurant (I don't there there is one that could even seat that many).

Thoughts? If agreed, I can make reservations for the full group at various places in town. Dutch- of course. Or we can all be on our own and group up.

Note: One place just outside of town that if fun is the True Grit Cafe in Ridgeway. A famous scene from the John Wayne movie was filled there and it is like an old saloon. Their chicken fried steak is good. I have not eaten anything else. Could be an option one night. Just a few miles down the valley road.

True Grit sounds fun to me, or anyplace that has a room they'll reserve for 60-odd people (and I do mean odd.)

Anybody camping out for the duration? I thought I might sneak off to nearby dispersed camping, but a Google search reveals very limited sites near Ouray. The reservable campsites are full. I do have a hotel room reserved, but now that it appears my wife can't come along, that seems like overkill. I've made some temporary mods to my 200 to turn it into an "expedition" vehicle that I can comfortably sleep in, but I'm worried about cancelling my hotel until I find a viable alternative. Any suggestions?

Thanks @BTUMAN Regarding mornings and food plan on the first group leaving around 7am for the trails. Also we do have a lot of kids coming this year so maybe the moms will help us out Thursday night with planning as I'll be the first to admit I rarely plan ahead for dinner options...

Call the place you made reservations and maybe they only have a 24hour cancellation policy.
I originally booked through booking.com and canceled then booked directly with the establishment as their policy was more flexible. I'm no help to you on camping. PM @bluecruiser as he may know more about the camping spots in and around Ouray. Good luck

There is only one place in Ouray that can accommodate 60 people for food and we're going there Friday night... :)

Geez! I'm so jealous reading the above comments. I will make sure to be there next year. You all are going to have a blast.

Indeed

Anybody camping out for the duration? I thought I might sneak off to nearby dispersed camping, but a Google search reveals very limited sites near Ouray. The reservable campsites are full. I do have a hotel room reserved, but now that it appears my wife can't come along, that seems like overkill. I've made some temporary mods to my 200 to turn it into an "expedition" vehicle that I can comfortably sleep in, but I'm worried about cancelling my hotel until I find a viable alternative. Any suggestions?

I'll be camping. It's not ideal, but I got a site at the KOA. At least they have a shower.

I'll be camping. It's not ideal, but I got a site at the KOA. At least they have a shower.
we stayed at the KOA last year, worked out well for us, and the showers are pretty nice!

Official schedule posted on Post #1. Any new updates will be added to Post #1. Be sure to check for any last minute changes before Aug 4.

We are camping with @RockHawk and hope to find a spot up towards the amphitheater. There are quite a few places to camp there and it's close to town. There are also some really neat spots about halfway up Mineral Creek, but they aren't convenient to town. We would love to have you join us.

Official schedule posted on Post #1. Any new updates will be added to Post #1. Be sure to check for any last minute changes before Aug 4.

Thanks for doing that @codyaustin5. I might have missed it in the 24 pages of this thread, but do we have a confirmed breakdown of group 1 and group 2? Who is going to be in which group and which trails they are doing?

I've not spoken up for a particular group, as my impression was that we needed a way to figure out a few things for each group: 1) Experience level within the group (and probably establish who has what in terms of communication equipment for each group) 2) Agreed upon trails, 3) Even number of members for each group and probably 4) People with kids in one group (they will probably stop more often).

Not trying to make your life more difficult and I'm happy to help spearhead this if you believe it's worthwhile.

We are camping with @RockHawk and hope to find a spot up towards the amphitheater. There are quite a few places to camp there and it's close to town. There are also some really neat spots about halfway up Mineral Creek, but they aren't convenient to town. We would love to have you join us.

So you expect there's (hopefully) random spots along the way to Amphitheater? I don't know the area well. Coming from 1000 miles away, I feel the need to find an assured place to settle in. Thanks for the invite!

Thanks for doing that @codyaustin5. I might have missed it in the 24 pages of this thread, but do we have a confirmed breakdown of group 1 and group 2? Who is going to be in which group and which trails they are doing?

I've not spoken up for a particular group, as my impression was that we needed a way to figure out a few things for each group: 1) Experience level within the group (and probably establish who has what in terms of communication equipment for each group) 2) Agreed upon trails, 3) Even number of members for each group and probably 4) People with kids in one group (they will probably stop more often).

Not trying to make your life more difficult and I'm happy to help spearhead this if you believe it's worthwhile.
You are exactly right. Although I would have expected you to read through all 24 pages. :)

We will review everyone's rig Thursday night for capabilities/trail knowledge/communication equipment/kids and put group 1 and 2 together for Friday runs. I am anticipating that both groups will do black bear/Imogene pass on Friday. Obviously we can/will switch up each day so we all get to ride together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom