Summer in Colorado? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning a trip to break in the new to us 2018 200 to SW Colorado. Looking at second to third week in June and thoughts on Imogene and surrounding passes open before July. I know its early but looking to start booking stuff but got to make sure the wife wont book something else.

Depends on the amount of snow but the through trails will maybe be open part way up. Could be all the way if snowfall is light. Black Bear for instance e has been known to open as early as Memorial Day and as late as July or August of the following year (when there’s too much snow to clear).

Imogene was so much fun. I drove it later than you're planning (third week of October) from Telluride and intended to drive down the back side to Ouray, but was met with a snow closed trail on the north side near the summit. So, I turned around at the summit and drove down to Telluride.

Video for viewing pleasure:

There is no way to know whether the passes will be open by then. But even if they aren't, there's still plenty to do.

There is no way to know whether the passes will be open by then. But even if they aren't, there's still plenty to do.
Yeah, just trying to get an idea. I have done it before the in July and August and want my two boys to experience why the west is the best.

No. If you want to make sure the high passes are open, you'll come later in the summer.

Mid-late July is a safe bet if you're planning a trip around it.

We had this exact trip planned last year and cancelled it in March as the passes were obviously going to be snowed in. We had gone last in late June 2021 and everything was open, but it had been a crazy dry year.

We're rescheduling it for this year but going the first week after Labor Day. Everything should be open then and we're hoping the crowds will be less. If you head to the San Juans and don't do the passes it will feel like you're leaving a lot on the table.

You could always go to Utah instead, which is what we ended up doing in 2023.

Also very helpful

Also very helpful

Awesome, thanks guys. We have decided to do last week in july to make sure we can do it all.

I live in the area and everything I see is the local counties try to target getting a few passes open before the July 4th weekend since this is a large tourism draw and revenue source. Anything before July 1 is highly dependent on area snow pack. Some years, you'll get lucky, some you won't. At present we're 25% below average snow pack but that can change quickly. If it stays this way, it'll be an early opening for some passes. You'll just have to monitor.

Planning a trip to break in the new to us 2018 200 to SW Colorado. Looking at second to third week in June and thoughts on Imogene and surrounding passes open before July. I know its early but looking to start booking stuff but got to make sure the wife wont book something else.
Last year I went in late July and the higher passes were just opening up. Anytime earlier is a crap shoot but there are still tons of places to go, even if you can’t get over the passes. As for booking lodging, a pricey but worth it place in Ridgway about ten miles up from Ouray is Chipeta Spa. “The wife” will love you for it. Just remodeled but best lodging around, and you avoid the crowds packed to the gills in Ouray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom