2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At the risk of hijacking the radiator thread, what is the average mileage we should expect to get out of the fan clutch? If I'm ~110k and doing the radiator, just do the fan clutch anyway? Or leave it?

At the risk of hijacking the radiator thread, what is the average mileage we should expect to get out of the fan clutch? If I'm ~110k and doing the radiator, just do the fan clutch anyway? Or leave it?
I think it depends heavily on how it was used. If you are towing heavy in hot climates your clutch gets orders of magnitude more abuse than someone that never tows and lives in Canada.

Mine was still in good shape when I changed it as PM at almost 200k miles, not because it seemed bad but because it was 200k and I got it cheap at a parts sale. As far as I can tell the previous owner up to 105k occasionally towed something, possibly a boat, but the last 90k have been my pretty easy use of mostly unloaded highway miles.

The 80 series had issues with the fan clutch, but it seems Toyota made it a focus and it hasn’t been a problem on the 200 to any significant degree. I can’t remember reading about someone that had one fail in six years of near daily reading of this section.

Had to take a break mid-job.

A couple thoughts:
• get a cheap set of Amazon hose clamp pliers and some plastic hose pinch tools.
• Long extensions (and a telescoping magnet tool, really) are needed for the lower radiator bolts.
IMG_4557.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg

I’m about to replace all these things (plus hoses) now that the radiator is out:
IMG_4564.jpeg

The fluid looks pretty clean, although I’m not sure what it is supposed to look like at 176k miles. If you haven’t cleaned the front of your radiator in a while, you may want to.
IMG_4562.jpeg

This belt looks really good. And aftermarket. The upper and lower hoses look new, too. We’ve put 27k miles on this since buying it with 149k miles. Looks like maybe new fluid, hoses, and belt were installed by a local shop not too long ago.
IMG_4563.jpeg

Had to take a break mid-job.

A couple thoughts:
• get a cheap set of Amazon hose clamp pliers and some plastic hose pinch tools.
• Long extensions (and a telescoping magnet tool, really) are needed for the lower radiator bolts.
View attachment 3616395
View attachment 3616394

I’m about to replace all these things (plus hoses) now that the radiator is out:
View attachment 3616397

The fluid looks pretty clean, although I’m not sure what it is supposed to look like at 176k miles. If you haven’t cleaned the front of your radiator in a while, you may want to.
View attachment 3616392

This belt looks really good. And aftermarket. The upper and lower hoses look new, too. We’ve put 27k miles on this since buying it with 149k miles. Looks like maybe new fluid, hoses, and belt were installed by a local shop not too long ago.
View attachment 3616398
Depending on how long you can have the rig down, you may consider tossing new brushes into the alternator.

With the radiator out it’s about an hour of extra work, I did it today. I plan to do a write up of that job soon.. your problem is the part is rare and usually needs special ordered.

Depending on how long you can have the rig down, you may consider tossing new brushes into the alternator.

With the radiator out it’s about an hour of extra work, I did it today. I plan to do a write up of that job soon.. your problem is the part is rare and usually needs special ordered.
Yeah, lack of parts got me on that one this time.

2013 LC200, 49500km- how bad is it? I am based in NZ and decided to take it into the local dealership. They asked me to send them some photos and they will contact Toyota. My expectations are quite low, but lets see what they say.

IMG_6609.jpg
IMG_6608.jpg

2013 LC200, 49500km- how bad is it? I am based in NZ and decided to take it into the local dealership. They asked me to send them some photos and they will contact Toyota. My expectations are quite low, but lets see what they say.

View attachment 3619171View attachment 3619172
I'd say you have quite a while, but it's good you're looking into getting it sorted.

Out of curiosity is this diesel or petrol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom