2003 Taco w/ 220k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a while ago about looking for a vehicle for one of my daughters and I'm still looking but getting close. I was worried about the rear wheel drive for a kid when in 2wd but I'm over that, she will learn to drive 4wd. So this opens up for better vehicles likes this.
I've looked at this truck in person twice and I keep going back to it for a lot of reasons. I haven't driven it yet.
I cant believe how well the taco's hold their value. This one they started at $11k a while ago and the best I got them down to is $9,700 and I've had trouble pulling the trigger for that money on a 220k mile truck. It is more than I wanted to spend but its relative to the vehicle. But, the Zeibart deal on this truck is real, no rust what so ever and super clean every where inside and out and underneath, even the bed but still 220k miles.
Give me your thoughts if you have any.
Much appreciated!!

2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Xtracab

11k thats nuts, my truck was a rust free nevada truck bought in 2005 with 75k on it and i paid 10k for it. These trucks actually apreciate it seems. Things to check: the frame. Did it have the recall done? If not was it inspected and coated by toyota? If not you are inelligable for the recall and 15yr frame warrenty. Bring a hammer and smack parts of the frame back by the rear spring mounts to check for rust. When was the last time the timing belt was done? Not a hard job but a PITA and if your paying 11k for a 14yr old truck it should have a recently done timing belt. Other than that they run forever. I can show you how to chop the front IFS and frame off if you want. An fj80 rear axle bolts right up to the stock brake system if you want rear discs...

Ill sell you a satisfactorly maintained 215k mile 2002 tacoma, sas and lightly used offroad for 10k.

That price is ridiculous! You could get my tundra for that.

The mileage is no big deal.

1st gen tundras and 3rd gen 4runners are the best deals out there now!!

It would be easy to cave and go ford or cheby or something because of price, I'm trying hard to stay yota.
I know that price is nuts but it is some what consistent with other used tacos....they are nuts.
the first gen tundras are slim pickings around here, ill keep looking.
appreciate the feedback!

Get her a 90s camry, it will last forever and honestly its way better in the snow than my tacoma is/was, and dirt cheap.

Bonus for her is she can speed like crazy in them and the cops wont even see her because boring.

Or if you need an SUV you can buy 9 jeep cherokees for the cost of that tacoma.

Tom, that tundra seems ok, but still expensive, especially for an access cab. As I understand it if given the choice 02 or 03 and up are more desirable (I forget why). 05 06 are vvti and 5 SPD autos making them costly.

Check the Chicago Craigslist I would be happy to be your proxy. Or buy mine, fight Jeremy first.

I still say 3rd Gen 4runner. You can get a beautiful one for significantly less than an equivalent taco. In reality they are about half the price. Mileage isn't even a concern, just make sure it's had a timing belt done. Mine is about to roll 340k and I'd drive it anywhere tomorrow.

I'll keep looking.
Hoff, my other daughter had camry until she wrecked it this summer, was a great car but now we live on a remote gravel road that will be invisible to the plow trucks so have to have 4wd.

I stand by my snow statement!

Some michelin something. Its fwd and the zero fxxxs given cause 90s camry. My wife was bombing to work in it during the blizzard of 2010 here with no probs, then again shes the s*** at driving. The tacoma is a handful in the rain and snow for sure, unless the snow was 10+". I wouldnt let a 16yr old girl drive one.

Some michelin something. Its fwd and the zero ****s given cause 90s camry. My wife was bombing to work in it during the blizzard of 2010 here with no probs, then again shes the s*** at driving. The tacoma is a handful in the rain and snow for sure, unless the snow was 10+". I wouldnt let a 16yr old girl drive one.

Good to know

Like everyone said, the money for the tacoma is ridiculous. Just because they sell for that doesn't make it a good deal. Even if the frame has been coated it will still rot.. Remember they rot from the inside. I paid 5K for my 02 with 200K back in 2009 or so. Mine was ok in snow at going strait.

Quit dicking around just get a 4runner already. Fxxx, for your 10K you could have a decent 4th gen 4runner.

I was thinking crack pipe price that is until i saw the sony xplod best buy $99 special circa 2002 headunit. I now agree with the asking price and think its a little low actually. With quality parts like that, who knows what other little hidden gems lurk in that 40!!

I was thinking crack pipe price that is until i saw the sony xplod best buy $99 special circa 2002 headunit. I now agree with the asking price and think its a little low actually. With quality parts like that, who knows what other little hidden gems lurk in that 40!!

I have been hearing about this 40 for years. I guess they took in on trade years ago and a number of people have offered what ever his stupid asking price was at the time then the owner would jack the price another $5k-$10k. So now its up to $50k.

I would not even pay 50k for a new car, let alone a glorified japanese farm tractor. Although that pimpass stereo they are highlighting in the pics has me rethinking that!

You'd think for $50k they would have put the correct bib and bezel on that thing (the parts installed are correct for a 1978 or older truck, the 1979 and newer trucks had the square bezel) and found some lower dash pads, too. It also seems to be missing the bumpers and hold-downs for when you fold down the windshield.

Also, the VIN number posted looks like a 1978 VIN based on the unofficial 40 series registry on here. the cutoff between 1978 and 1979 should be somewhere between 297459 and 297172. That truck is 290399 according to the ad.

Last edited:
Took the words right out of my mouth Jim!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom