1st addition to the LC... 35's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
!st off, thanks to 92LXAZ for helping me out when I wasnt able to research if these fit.
SO... After some dealing with a guy who contacted me about a CL ad I had posted, we managed to settle on a cool hundred bucks for a set of four 315/75 MT's:cool:. I drove an hour out to Bainbridge GA to meet him and they even had a little more tread on them than he had said (about 40%).
After bringing them back to Tally I stopped at a local used tire place who wanted $17.50 per tire to swap them for me. I tried to get a better deal but no dice... So I went down the road to tire guy #2 who was willing to compete and offered $15 per tire (gotta love capitalism).
$160 later I have my 265/70 AT's in the back and some nice solid 35" MT's mounted on the LC. No rubbing so far and I've already put her through a little test run in a small section of woods near the house. Next up is a 1" spring spacer lift and possibly some trail lights.

[URL="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r285/rocessk3/IMAG0766.jpg"] [/URL]

And how I wish she looked:
[URL="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r285/rocessk3/IMAG0765.jpg"] [/URL]

Now I'm debating painting her flat black w/ OD green along the flares and lower body line or Desert Tan up top w/ OD green along flares/lower body.

opinions welcomed and thanks for looking :cheers:

Done.
Still a few touch up spots to do but overall I'm happy:
IMAG0788.jpg

Looks great! Ha I said the same thing when it was on the lift at the shop. I have the Ironman 2" lift springs coming so I'm close. You didn't waste any time getting the color changed. Liking the flareless. Well done.

awesome work! what paint did you use? have you gotten a chance to really flex it out to see if they rub? i've got a liiiiiiittle bit of lift on mine (ome stock suspension replacement) and i'm wondering if i can squeeze on some 35s. thanks!

Thanks guys, I used the krylon camo spray from Wal-Mart, its pretty decent stuff as far as spray paint goes. As far as the tires you should have no problem with 35's especially with any kind of lift. At stock height I've yet to rub and I've tried pretty hard. Granted mine are used so probably not a full 35 inches but close enough.
With the ironman 2" lift springs is it necessary to swap the shocks or can you get away with the stockers for a while?

Mine came with OME shocks from the PO so I didn't research but I would think it would be fine, just may limit your flex, that is just a guess. I'm sure that's been covered here so a quick search would find something.

Thanks guys. I was planning on a 1" lift and an aussie locker as the next mods for the truck but after today a big solid winch is in order... I'll let the pics speak for themselves:
IMAG0794.jpg

IMAG0795.jpg

IMAG0798.jpg

We went and got both of my roommate's trucks to pull her out with no luck. Eventually we got AAA out there and they yanked her right out.

Yeah lockers, lift, and a winch are going to help you looking at your pictures lol!... Why the rattle can paint? Did you not like the original color?

Sent from my iPod touch using IH8MUD

The original green was losing the clear coat all over and pretty much looked like crap. I figured there was no point in paying for a paint job on a truck that I'm going to run through the woods with no concern for bushes/branches.
Ive settled on a HF winch as of now and I'm probably going to get the 12k since its on sale right now for $299 + a 20% off puts me at around $260 after shipping and taxes. But I'd like to leave this open for someone to talk me out of the 12k and get the 9k, it saves 30 lbs and idk how the stock suspension will react to adding 93lbs on the front end... but how much better will it be to only add 63lbs instead??
Kindof a crappy situation b/c i need the winch but i dont have the money for new springs.

As far as the tires you should have no problem with 35's especially with any kind of lift. At stock height I've yet to rub and I've tried pretty hard.

Interesting :hmm:

I plan on going from 33 MT's (KM2's) to 35 AT's (D-tracs) and I've been worried about rubbing :eek:

Even with 2" spacers up front and 2" mediums out back, I'm actually around stock height due to all the extra weight (full rack, front and rear armor, dual swing outs, dual batts, dual winches, etc.) :doh:

The original green was losing the clear coat all over and pretty much looked like crap. I figured there was no point in paying for a paint job on a truck that I'm going to run through the woods with no concern for bushes/branches.

This pretty much sums up where I am after a year of hemming and hawing. I love my midnight blue, but the top third looks like crap from the peeling clear coat and the bottom third looks like crap where the flares used to be. You move much faster than me though!

Did you weld the holes up from the flares? What kind of prep did you do for the paint? Did you primer?

98snakeeater, I'm debating spacers too but now only to keep my front end from sagging from the winch. I'd like thos 2" spacers but $144 is a little high in my book for two pieces of metal. I'll probably go with the 30mm ones until I can get enough for bigger springs... Ive been debating running 2" lift springs on stock shocks to save some money, hopefully someone will chime in as to more pros/cons to doing this.

Marcus - Ive spray painted the last 4 trucks Ive owned so it really was a no brainer as far as doing it for me. If its your first time I know you go through the whole idea of "a spray painted truck":hillbilly: but in the end its worth it and you'll never have to worry about scratches/dings again.
For prep I sanded the whole truck down with a power sander, rinsed/dried her off, taped off a few things and went to town. I didnt do anything to fill the holes for the flares b/c I'm lazy lol but I may fill in the holes with some hardware from HD or something later. I figure as long as there's paint covering all the metal, rust shouldnt be an issue.

Update:

I just got done with my winch install and I love it so far! Everything is from Harbor Freight which I was ok with considering I only spent $330 total ($30 of this was the cost of the drill bit I ended up having to buy to get the mount to fit correctly.). I picked up the mount and got it all set up last weekend and when I got home from vacation this afternoon the winch was waiting for me. So, starting at 8:30 and done at 11, I'd say it was a successful evening.

IMAG0809.jpg

I'd seen others bolt these tow hooks back one hole on the frame rail but I dont plan on running the front bumper so I moved them up so I wouldnt have to worry about extra washers:
IMAG0810.jpg

All nice and new:
IMAG0821.jpg

And... all mounted, clocked and re-spooled (thanks to some helpful roommates):
IMAG0822.jpg

IMAG0823.jpg

Up next will be a 2" Ironman lift, hopefully I'll have it done before Thanksgiving so I can show off a little when I get back home.

Thanks to all those who posted before me showing how to make the mount work, reviewing the Harbor Freight product, and how to clock the winch... And thanks for reading :cheers:
Let me know what you guys think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom