1KZ-TE High EGTs -- Gauge Pics attached (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first post.

I have been reading a lot on iH8mud and have learned many things. Thank you all. Now, coming to the point. I have a KZJ77 with a 1KZ-TE engine. Originally, it came with a 1KZ-T manual transmission engine but after doing ~70,000KMs the head cracked so I got a 1KZ-TE with automatic transmission in it.
Initially, this new 1KZ-TE came with a water-cooled intercooler but since I had no room for it the KZJ77, I did not install it.
Recently I installed an EGT gauge pre turbo (see pics). I have noticed that on high way with full throttle I get 12 PSI of boost and soon as the speed reach 100 KM/h the EGT temperatures touches 1400F and keeps on going above. My questions:

a) What are the max safe range EGT temperatures for 1KZ-TE?
b) Do I need an intercooler? How can I lower the EGTs?

I have not done any modification/tweaks of any kind. I have not tinkered with Injection Pump since it is electronic and I have not messed with boost. I tested this on ‘seemingly’ straight road without any load on the SUV i.e. no towing or luggage weight on SUV.
Thank you.
02 .jpg
03.jpg

Last edited:
Gauge

I wanted to post more pics but iH8mud won't allow me.

How long do you drive for at full throttle?

The EGTs went above 1400F the second speedo touched 100KM/s.

Driving full throttle depends on the highway but mostly when traveling on super highway I often (before the gauge install) went full throttle. The top speed I got was ~ 140KM/h. I haven't been on super highway after the gauge install.

It is winter season and so I think EGTs are somewhat in control. What happens in summers?

you cracked the head on a KZ engine? no way.
Rosco, did you catch that?

1200F is the safe max so turn down the fuel a bit.

crushers:

It's an EFI Injection Pump. There is no fuel adjustment screw. (Or is there any adjustment that I don't know about ?).

you cracked the head on a KZ engine? no way.
Rosco, did you catch that?

You dont listen:rolleyes:. I have always said they can crack heads BUT no where near as often as 2LT.
Did you CATCH THAT

The EGTs went above 1400F the second speedo touched 100KM/s.

Driving full throttle depends on the highway but mostly when traveling on super highway I often (before the gauge install) went full throttle. The top speed I got was ~ 140KM/h. I haven't been on super highway after the gauge install.
?

I dont think too many diesels will handle full throttle for long periods without getting problems.
They are just not not designed for that

I dont think too many diesels will handle full throttle for long periods without getting problems.
They are just not not designed for that

Better tell that to my 3B, my 13BT and my 12Ht... damn, I've been driving them balls to the walls for years and not one problem.

The Coquihalla highway here in BC - as an Aussie, you won't know it - but I go as fast and as hard as I can with no problems. The highway is constant hills for a couple of hours...

Sitting back and enjoying the ride... hoping this debate gets going:popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer:

~John
:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:

Better tell that to my 3B, my 13BT and my 12Ht... damn, I've been driving them balls to the walls for years and not one problem.

The Coquihalla highway here in BC - as an Aussie, you won't know it - but I go as fast and as hard as I can with no problems. The highway is constant hills for a couple of hours...

Sitting back and enjoying the ride... hoping this debate gets going:popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer:

~John

But what kind of EGTs are you making?

I prefer to drop back a gear and plod up the hills

either he has set the engien up for low EGTs at max boost
or
he has a golden horseshoe in every orfice of his body.

just saying...

It seems that the cracking heads on the 1KZ is mostly on automatics. All the victims i know of with cracked heads where automatics. I don't know if that's pure coïncidental or it has to do with different injection pump settings. We have a manual '98 KZJ 90 from new. It's at 206K km right now and hasn't had an easy life. It has to tow a 6000-7000 pound enclosed trailer from day one and doesn't get spared at all. I usually drive it and i don't wait for the temp gauge to stomp the silly pedal. All extra maintanance was a nuked R150f. Third gear exploded during towing....

We also installed a front mounted IC, upped the boost to 15PSI and adjusted the (electronic) injection pump as far as driveable. Turn to much and it keeps revving.
So far so good. It has never overheated or used cooland ever.
Are we lucky, probably, but the 1KZ isn't as bad as the 2LT.

Oh, it also has a full 3" straight thru exhaust including 3" turbo elbow.

Mark

Just curious troopie how did you reduce your fuel on your computer controlled injection pump?? I've been testing a system I came up with to reduce fuel on my 2lte. Seems to work well just dialing it in.
Thanks

either he has set the engien up for low EGTs at max boost
or
he has a golden horseshoe in every orfice of his body.

just saying...

The 12HT pushes about 1200 F at full load full throttle.

The others...meh, no EGT gauges... never a problem. The 3B only has 475,000 kms in it, so it's still pretty fresh.

12PSI boost in both the 13BT and the 12HT..

~John

John,
sometimes you make me laugh.
meh, no pyro, never a problem.

each to their own, but i keep hearing more and more KZ dieing the painful death of the L series. i won't bring them in, i won't sell them, and obviously i won't recommend them.

First of all, The orginal 1KZT configuration came with manual trans so it means that the head crack issue is not related with transmissions. This is my 3rd 1KZ and we have tons of KZs here, never had a head crack issue before. they are realible engines no doubt about that and i still prefer them over the noisy 13bts etc.

Back to the topic, I am thinking of installing a FMIC but the problem is, there is almost no space for the pipes to pass through the front till the engine or Ill have to install the less efficient TMIC setup if no option left. Also confused which one to choose, Dtronic or DP chip??

Need some expert opinions please
13012010029.jpg

Last edited:
You might be able to squeeze a FMIC in. I did. Not much room under my hood with the 2LTE. Had to lose the A/C system though. I didn't care because if there was a hill even in sight off went the A/C or else I would have to get the family out to push.

Take care.
IMG_0962_2.jpg
IMG_0961-1.jpg
IMG_0960_2.jpg

John,
sometimes you make me laugh.
meh, no pyro, never a problem.

each to their own, but i keep hearing more and more KZ dieing the painful death of the L series. i won't bring them in, i won't sell them, and obviously i won't recommend them.

I went up on a hunting trip in the fall and for 10 hours in a friend's BJ42 we pushed as high as 1400F on long slow grades... it's been that way for years apparently (I have turned it down since) and he has not had any problems. I guess it might be true that what you don't know won't hurt you. At least the 3B along with a healthy cooling system is a tough little engine.

As far as the KZs are concerned, I have seen only three so far and two have had the heads done. Quite a costly job.

I don't hold much hope for any of these engines either. Jesse has just bought one :eek: , and I'm a little leery of it - but it has not arrived yet.

I have warned him, but I guess only time will tell. My crystal ball got dropped the other day and my magic wand is out of commission...

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom