1kz-te engine sounds sick and sporadic odd knocking (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

said in good natured fun ...

Yup I am with you on that one Wayne... lol.
Thought I had found an ECU for a good price... But its for the Surf....Rats....
Don't know if anyone has tried a surf ecu auto unit in a Playdoh...

Yup I am with you on that one Wayne... lol.
Thought I had found an ECU for a good price... But its for the Surf....Rats....
Don't know if anyone has tried a surf ecu auto unit in a Playdoh...

i used a surf ecu when i changed from 2lte to 1kzte. although done by an experienced(in 1kzte) electrician locally.

Those Hiace vans can certainly move with a 1kz inside!

So to give a final update on this thread - the new owner, Mike, got an ECU from NZ (Calvin I assume you helped him with this) and that didn't fix the problem.

Today, I received this in an email and thought I'd post it up just in case it can help any body else ...

.... after much work the problem ended up being the timing gears. I suspect that the minor front end accident caused two bolts to sheer off on the idler gear. This is a common problem. The idler was allowed to start moving around and started to wear away on the teeth. As the wear continued the timing started going off and the ECU could not keep up. After testing everything we decided to get another ECU from NZ... didn’t make any difference. We now have a spare IKZ ECU if you ever need one.

Any way all fixed up after $450 worth of parts. Labour was about 8 hours once we knew where to look. The final clue was a crack in the timing case which was leaking more and more oil as time went on. After we saw the leak we noticed we could hear a odd noise coming from the gear case. Once we stripped it all down and removed the case it was more than obvious.

i love the "once we knew where to look" clause.
but
he succeeded where i gave up so congrats Mike, i will HAPPILY suggest Mike to do their repair work on the KZTE engines ...

So to give a final update on this thread - the new owner, Mike, got an ECU from NZ (Calvin I assume you helped him with this) and that didn't fix the problem.

Ahh so that was this truck, Yes I did sort out the ECU for Mike.. It was my old one with a full overhaul...So will be a good one for another 15 years !.
Yes he did work out it was the gears..I saw the photos... What a mess.
Back in my first post on this thread I suggested it could have been the gear set...lol

Good to see another 1KZ up and running..... Need to hold the knockers back a bit...;)

yah, i read that, pulled the timing cover and all looked well.
i never thought to pull the heart out of it.

my bad.

but then Mike did all the things i did and he swore that it was the timing was out, then the pump was fawked, then the ECU was buggered, then he shut down the fuel timing and then finally when he saw the oil dripping out he caught the crack ... it was dry when i looked so it must have happened while his son was driving it.

all is well now.

you were bang on.

Unfortunately with that 1KZT it could have been any one of those or all three at once ahahhahaha
Hindsight is such a wonderful thing.....Must put that all in the memory bank..
I think Mike was saying in his emails to me you could see signs of heat coming thru the alloy gear cover, where the bolts and gear were wearing it...Perhaps a scan with an infrared laser temp tool might have picked up a hot spot??? Who knows....All fixed now....

that is a wicked idea, where it would be rubbing on the cover it would generate heat ... your such a smart fella ... must be the NZ fresh air??

that is a wicked idea, where it would be rubbing on the cover it would generate heat ... your such a smart fella ... must be the NZ fresh air??

To be honest I cant take credit for that idea, it was Mikes suggestion...
Here is a photo which you can see the crack which was caused by the heat.
Gives you an idea where the heat spot could be...

kbushnz; is the crack near also on the vac/power steering pump. funny because we almost have the same crack but didnt experience all that problems.

kbushnz; is the crack near also on the vac/power steering pump. funny because we almost have the same crack but didnt experience all that problems.

Not that I am aware of...

what if the gears are timed but the outside timing of the pump is off
Outside timing is the timing mark
This one below shows how the internal adjustment is done. Its a 1HZ but all the same with these injector pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom