1kz-te engine sounds sick and sporadic odd knocking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My ECu has just gone to the Dr surgery. Last Sun 1kz cut out. Engine would turn but not start. Found a few burned components on the ecu and should have it back from surgery in a few days. Sincerely hope its just a plug in and play.

I am begining to be a little anti 1kz and mulling an engine swap.

Picked up the ecu today. A few components changed and the boards cleaned up. Will try at weeked keeping all my toes crossed.

The ECi is ok now and reinstalled.

Sadly the fuel control solenoid, or device, on the fuel pump is the cause of the problem. Now I need to find out if have to replace whole fuel pump or just the control device.

Considering doing the manual fuel pump conversion.

:bounce:Solved.

Original mechanic who installed my 1kz had a few spare fuel pumps so I have done a trade in with mine.

Yesterday we drove down to where Lc was stored and after 4hrs work installing the recon pump the lc fired.

The spill valve was the problem. Normal reading should 1 to 2 ohms open circuit, busted one was 24 ohms.

I am just happy to be on the road again and problem solved.

I have been chatting with John from Radd Cruisers, he is much more informed than i when it comes to "E" control engines.
he was suggesting that maybe the Spill valve might be acting up on this one but with the same problem on 2 different pumps he suggested it might be the Spill valve control modual on the left side kick panel.
also, he wants me to try disconnecting the temp control to see if it has any affect on the replacement pump.

so, although i have drawn a blank, with Johns help maybe we will give it a bit more attention.

cheers and congrats gotoy.

This is a long shot.... Chap out my way was having problems.... running rough etc etc... Did the usual checked all his sensors....Pulled ECU to find some damaged tracks... got it fixed but still having problems...
Borrowed my ECU.... still playing up....
Then he discovered he had swapped over the vac lines on the EGR butterfly controller thing.... And they were activated all the time........When he corrected the vac lines... All went back to normal...

:bounce:Solved.

Original mechanic who installed my 1kz had a few spare fuel pumps so I have done a trade in with mine.

Yesterday we drove down to where Lc was stored and after 4hrs work installing the recon pump the lc fired.

The spill valve was the problem. Normal reading should 1 to 2 ohms open circuit, busted one was 24 ohms.

I am just happy to be on the road again and problem solved.

same problem with my old pump. but we used the spill valve of my 2lte pump and was surprised it fires right away.
symptoms on my ride before changing the valve, the engine wont start on hot engine. hard starting when cold. no smoke when starting the engine.

niwde11,
did it smoke and idle rough when it warmed up?

No for both.
dramatic change in power once we changed the spill valve.
so i guess initially we are running on a very lean mixture which we cant compare since its a new transplant from 2lte.
TCV might be the first thing to look for(aside from ecu, etc) if it idle rough or smoke when warmed up.

I was having serious smoke from the rear on startup and was sometimes hard to start.

so the new owner contacted me and it seems the ECD is shot. the "repair" made from Cali was a butcher job and now the ECD is beyond repairing.
any sources for used in good shape or even new (fat chance)
cheers and thanks

so the new owner contacted me and it seems the ECD is shot. the "repair" made from Cali was a butcher job and now the ECD is beyond repairing.
any sources for used in good shape or even new (fat chance)
cheers and thanks

Throw us a P/N and I will start seeing if there are any in NZ...
I can even have it checked out / repaired as we have a guru here in NZ.
And then get it in the mail...
Will just do it for what it costs me to get done....

well, this one is supposed to be toast but what the heck.
i should have the part number later today.
thanks for the offer.
actually, i will put Mike in touch with you direct, if that is okay.

The ECU is a 89661-60250 (Toyota #). The Denso # is 175800-1294 12V for a 1KZ-TE A/T.
thanks

well, this one is supposed to be toast but what the heck.
i should have the part number later today.
thanks for the offer.
actually, i will put Mike in touch with you direct, if that is okay.

Have been emailing Mike... Hopefully I can find one for him....
Should do we have plenty of the KZJ78's here in NZ...

dead ones, eh?
hence the abundance of parts?
<grin>
just yankin your chain M8

:clap: :censor: :)

Yup they have the same issues as else where in the world !
But we have been in the past flooded with them as grey imports from Japan...
So plenty of spares.. also the local market run the 1KZTE's in may different vehicles from Vans, utes and people movers.. And also 4x4's like the Prado...
So a bit easier to get bits.....
But I hear what you are saying :D

Calvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom