1996 Landcruiser - Expense question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I have a 1996 Landcruiser that I bought used about 7 years ago and it now has 113,000 miles. I have taken very good care of it with my last 2 major expenses being catalytic converters (replacement) & a power steering pump (replacement). I don't really drive it long distance anywhere. I am looking to hang on to as long as I can, but was wondering from all the great Toyota folks on here what you foresee my next / expected big potential expense to be? (Maybe in the next 5,000-15,000 miles / 2-3 years) I realize that it may be hard without inspecting my engine - but are there certain expenses that just come into play at some point? For example, my neighbor mentioned that there may be a need for a timing belt replacement at some point? Obviously no right or wrong answers here, so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

LC'96

I really really doubt you will ever need a timing belt.

Long drives or not, it's a 17 year old vehicle that will require preventative maintenance.

There's no timing belt, but a timing chain and the guides should be changed when you finally have to tear into your engine to replace your headgasket. Could be a while before you see that. My HG went at 177k and others have gotten even more out of theirs. You could be looking at a front axle rebuild as well.

There's a cost of ownership thread in the FAQ, I suggest starting there.

Last edited:
No timing belt on the cruisers. Only thing that I would consider major would be front axle rebuilding around 120k.

113k is 13k past the break in period.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies and also thanks for the heads up on the 'cost of ownership' thread in the FAQ!

I bought both of my 1996 80s with around as many miles as you have on yours.

I rebuilt the axles with new bearings, replaced all of the fluids - ALL of them, everything that was rubber under the hood and put new tires on them. Both were torn down to the head gasket and rebuilt up from there.

From there out it was mostly just replacing stuff that wore out over time like brake pads, U joints, starter motors - now they both need new leather for the seats. That will happen someday.

I now have @160K miles on both of them. Clearly my signature line is out of date.

look at what Toyota specifies for each service interval to get an idea what needs to be/should be done as far as maintenance - save some contingency for breakage of other stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom