Builds 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i would let her insurance pay for everything needed to make it right. Make sure you get an appraisal at the dealership for maximum quote :)

Should i just have a body shop bondo and paint the panels or should i try to find new panels entirely? This is the first time I have ever been in a "crash" and have no experience getting work done thats paid for by insurance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My basic goal is this: Get as much put back to "good as new" status as possible on the insurance dime.

as stated above go to the dealership, or a shop with good reputation,and get it appraised .........

Just tell the other party to write you a $20k check and you won't get the insurance involved. Glad to hear it's minor damage,did another student hit it?

When I park it, I just pull it out a click to kill the engine, then leave it out. That way, anyone who breaks in, tries to start the truck, or tries to pop the clutch, will be met with a fuel shutoff. If they try to give it the choke..... they only "choke" the engine out!!!

Anyway. Pretty slick setup in my opinion. I love it. Huge thanks to my friend Chris who worked with me until 12:00 at night in the dark, outside, on the curb. What a guy. Thanks Chris!!!

Doing the exact same thing on two diesels I have. The little very crude motor that runs the shut off on the IP are always toast (Nissan motor not Toyota) and are expensive to replace. Why spend $500 on something that will eventually fail when it can be done for super cheap!?

Cheers

We need updates Will updates. :deadhorse:

Sorry for the lack of updates, I got really sick yesterday and wasn't able to bring my truck in to the body shop.

Ill have a body/paint update soon.

Here's the list of summer mods Im planning to do:

-Body work/Paint
-New tint on my windows (planning to go with a 35% all around)
-Waterproof my inverter, and give it an air intake
-Replace my current 12volt power strips with one marine fuze block
-Install an EZ oil drain plug
-New bumper
-Build a set of drawers
-Get a rubber mat for the back cargo area

I may not accomplish all of that. But I'm going to give it my best shot. Ill keep you guys posted as things go on.

In other news, Im doing a 12HT swap for Gary. Things are going pretty good and its looking great. Things are always faster the second time around. The 12HT is going into an FJ62. Iv got the engine and trans in and hooked up, power steering, vacuum and other accessories pretty much done, crossovers painted and installed etc. Only things left are air cleaner, radiator, fan/shroud, and electrical.

Will erased that EZ oil drain plug I would leave it alone if I were you. Just my 2 pennies.

A few bad ones and you don't want anybody trying to drain your oil in the middle of a parking lot there is enough stupid running around. Are you going to Gold lake this year? I hope you do so i can drive your rig. LOL @KeepCruzin

Long overdue update:

Went to Rubithon. Got to ride with Gary (Mudrak), in his 45. It was awesome. Here are a couple pictures of camp. and the rigs.

I also put in a new AC compressor. Somehow the compressor is identical to some new 4runner compressor? It was incredibly convenient. The AC is blowing cold again and holds pressure.
More updates and projects to come.
Next up:
-Hand throttle
-Fuse block
-Waterproofing inverter

Time for a big update. Here it goes.

Installed a hand throttle. It automatically locks when pulled, and retracts when twisted counter clockwise. Very slick setup in my opinion. I just find a throttle position I like with my foot, then set the hand throttle and cruise.

I mounted it just above my kill "choke" knob. I might re-locate it, but the cable is so short that options are VERY limited.

The more exciting update: DRAWERS

So I built the system so that It can stay in the car with the seats up, or take advantage of the extra space when the seats go down.
I also made it easily removable. I havent made the actual drawers yet because the slides dont come until the 15th.

most of the system is made from 3/4in indoor plywood, and the top and bottom pieces are 1/2 inch. Its unbelievably sturdy. Its all held together with two inch screws, and 1.5x1.5inch redwood reinforcements.

Here you can see the system fully folded up for removal.

And here it is fully removed for storage etc.

Here it is in "daily use" (seats up) mode, with sleeping deck folded up.

Finally, here it is in its full extension mode.

IMG_3215_zpsn5yfdluy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice little mod there dude... Sucks that you truck got hit in the parking lot but looks like she did a HELL of a lot more damage to her tin can than your truck... If you haven't taken care of the estimate yet... but that has been months so I am sure you did, always go to a highly priced, good quality shop for your estimates on repairs. This way your insurance company get a good quotation as to what is actually go on and if they quibble about the price you can seek out a different shop for a second quote.

Will,

What is the part number on your compressor? I got a reman one and it works but is noisy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom