1980 Pickup - 40th birthday gift to myself (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! Thought I'd post a recent acquisition as my first post on this forum!

I've always loved the first and second-gen pickups, but just never seemed to make the stars align on one. However, after recently turning 40, I wanted to do a little something for myself and, having two small children, still couldn't justify getting back into the world of motorcycles. So I decided to put another truck in the driveway (current DD is a 2018 Tacoma TRDOR DCSB).

Super excited about this rig, which seems to be pretty bone-stock. I'm already racking up quite the list of things to do, as the long-term goal is a full overhaul/restoration while leaving the body as-is (I absolutely love the patina).

DSCF7502.JPG

DSCF7500.JPG

DSCF7499.JPG

DSCF7505.JPG

Welcome to the fold And congrats on the find. Looks great. I just recently ”saved” a 1981 long bed and am in the process of doing the same thing to it. Had to dive into the knuckle rebuild sooner than planned and got into the “mayaswells” while apart. Sometimes frustrating, but mostly satisfying results. Good luck with the project.

RN37 Sport Truck. Very cool. Looks like it has A/C as well.

Nice looking truck! I love the patina too. That interior looks really good. In case you were wondering, Toyota still sells that dash pad. 75395-30010.

My 1980... really it's a 79 (short VIN) had A/C, PS, tilt, SR5 interior, etc. Such a cool little truck.
20200709_094247.jpg

Nice looking truck! I love the patina too. That interior looks really good. In case you were wondering, Toyota still sells that dash pad. 75395-30010.

My 1980... really it's a 79 (short VIN) had A/C, PS, tilt, SR5 interior, etc. Such a cool little truck.
View attachment 3519987

That's a 1980. 1979s did not have vent windows. It could have been built in late 1979.
17 digit VINs appeared for the 1981 model year.
75395-30010 is a (discontinued) clip.

That's a 1980. 1979s did not have vent windows. It could have been built in late 1979.
17 digit VINs appeared for the 1981 model year.
75395-30010 is a (discontinued) clip.
OK, now I've heard a different explanation on the VINs. Build date on my truck is actually 2-80.

The dash pad is 55401-89107-06 for the brown one. According to the one I have sitting in the garage in the original box waiting to be installed.

OK, now I've heard a different explanation on the VINs. Build date on my truck is actually 2-80.

The dash pad is 55401-89107-06 for the brown one. According to the one I have sitting in the garage in the original box waiting to be installed.

That's a nice truck. Please advise if you tire of it... :grinpimp:

'79s also did not have the welded front axle truss. First year for that was '80.

'79s also did not have the welded front axle truss. First year for that was '80.
Mid 1980 model year. I had a September 1979 built 1980 RN47 and it did not have a trussed front housing.

Early '80 RN37 siting right outside for my reference. No matter.

By the way, that bed looks to be extremely clean! How did that happen?

Early '80 RN37 siting right outside for my reference. No matter.
What month? I don't remember the changeover

Welcome! Great looking truck!

Oh man, you guys are a wealth of knowledge already! I had no clue replacement dash pads could be had direct. That's nearly first-up on my bucket list. Quickly followed by door panels, which seem to be much harder to source.

Ultimately, I'd love to do a tranny swap (perhaps a L52), but I'm not to keen on cutting up the body even though I'd love to have that fifth gear and increased reliability. I've also been toying with the idea of a 22R swap. Both of these are fighting my desire to keep this truck as stock as possible though.

As for PS and AC, I have both. The PS works great, but the AC doesn't do a damned thing. The HVAC barely works at all, tbh, including the heat. But seeing as how this is a weekend ride, fixing HVAC issues are low on the list of things to do.

By the way, that bed looks to be extremely clean! How did that happen?
Not sure. From the history I've found, it spent most of its life in SW and CA. All the rust is surface rust (until I discover otherwise). The second-to-last PO also did a spray-in liner, so it might have appeared worse condition prior.

Probably the number one issue with your heater is the control valve. They're no longer available from anyone, but the later model truck's (84-88) will work with some creative additions. I found this on of all places Reddit, just looking at the pic was enough explanation.

I've had my '80 for several years and couldn't tell you if the heater works either. I'm in AZ...

The PO of this truck did what ca. Be described as "jump-starting" the AC, bypassing the relay and energizing the compressor coil directly. Again, not sure it works.

Search around for a 5-speed conversion write-up, it doesn't require much more body mods than just a hammer to the underside of the floor to clear it. I would agree getting rid of that awful 4-speed would be high on the list if you drive it a lot. If yours is sloppy too, even new bushings for the shifter won't help very much.

Your door panels look to be pretty good, why change them out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom