1970 40 Bench Seat Guys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 70 Fj40 with the front bench seats. What do you guys do with wallets, phone, drinks and such? Is there something I can buy that stores all of this stuff, sick of my stuff sliding all over the place.

I have 70 Fj40 with the front bench seats. What do you guys do with wallets, phone, drinks and such? Is there something I can buy that stores all of this stuff, sick of my stuff sliding all over the place.

Doesn't a 70 have a toolbox under seat ?

Me too, I was thinking a magnetic tank bag like the ones on motorcycles, but not sure how much heat comes off of the transmission cover. That being said, I'm 3 speed on the column and not a floor shifter and i'm just starting a complete restore. How hot does the transmission cover get? Anybody use anything like this in their land cruiser?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GRR4OC/?tag=ihco-20

My phone is always on my right attached to my belt. I've done this since I had a cell phone. I did this so it's on the inside and less likely to fall out of the vehicle. I haven't used it in my 70 FJ40 yet but in my company work trucks I used a shallow center console attached to the center seat belt. Had a open section and two small cup holders in front. I used some foam underneath to level it out. On a Fj40 with bucket seats you could use another seat belt attached to the inside mounting points for the other seat belts.

The tunnel cover gets hot. Not sure you want to leave a cell phone on it without insulating it on the bottom somehow. I remember buying a small trash container for my 73 Monte Carlo. It was a small bucket with two vinyl covered little side bags on either side to keep it in place. Sold it in 83 so this was a few years ago.

I always put my phone on the dash pad. At least until it flew out the window in a corner...

a roll of duct-tape on the trany hump makes the best drink holder ever made, it will stay put all day long, if you want you can stack 2 on top of each other.

a small bag(like a tool roll) on the trany hump also works very well, I have one next to my duct tape in my 65 FJ45LV...it has carpet so it just stays put. If your worried about heat...toss a rag in the bottom of the bag

On my 82Fj40(which is bucket and has a Tuffy) I have a small bag that also sits on the trany cover, I looped one of the handles around the T-case lever...zip tied the other to something. Same with my FJ60....small bag on hump....even with the Tuffy its nice to have a place to just toss stuff....like my cell phone and a spare wheelgun

now if you wanted something on the bench itself....maybe a small backpack, you could run the straps under/aound the bottom seat cushion to hold it in place. I am sure there are many cheap packs with a bunch of pockets that may work well

Hi,

On my bench seats, I just got a plastic box & put it next to me. it has a piece of that no slip drawer liner under it so it stays put. I also put a roll of duct tape (for the cups) or some other small boxes to keep things organized. It gets trashy after awhile cause I end up throwing all sorts of things in it, but it's cheap and it works.
My 2 cents.
ty
:beer:

Another FJ40 owner I know took a cheap plastic cup, and glued a strong magnet to the bottom. Sticks literally anywhere in the truck, and holds all his change/misc odds and ends, and even serves as a cup holder. Not exactly "secure" but it gets the job done.

I have a roll cage and use cup holders that can be velcroed to the roll cage - a Jeep item ;p - like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013RGQZ2/?tag=ihco-20

the other stuff I keep in my handbag, which I park either on the bench or in the passenger footwell

I will not use a phone in a rolling vehicle, I hate distracted driving :mad:

I don't have a picture of it but I made a mini Tuffy console type box out of wood. It has a padded flip up lid, two drink holders and a small slot in front of the drink holders that holds small thin stuff like a phone and a small mini mag light. I initially put a wire through it to secure it on the seat, (ran it down to seat belt mounts), but found it a pain to remove it if I wanted a third front seat passenger. It now just sits on the seat with my elbow usually resting on it.

Here is my 5.99 solution from AutoZone. Holds a water bottle and a cell phone. Screwed it down with one self drilling screw and used a countersunk rubber washer thingy.
image-3627722094.jpg
image-2543801540.jpg
image-752237456.jpg

a roll of duct-tape on the trany hump makes the best drink holder ever made, it will stay put all day long, if you want you can stack 2 on top of each other.

Being a old HVAC tech this was a trick we used. But nothing something I would do in my personal vehicle. In AZ it leaves a white goo behind. It will hold a drink in place.

Last weekend was the first chance I had to see my cruisers in a few years. I put the console on the bench seat. Not the greatest but can be removed in seconds and requires no mods which is something I working on undoing from the original owner. Can't complain few mods and better shape when I got it at forty-two years old than my 68 at six years old.
bench console 002.jpg
bench console 004.jpg
bench console 003.jpg

Was thinking about this kind of thing for my '66. Found this on Amazon by searching "bench seat organizer" Ignore the "does this fit my vehicle" thingee. Not expensive either.
Bench Seat Organizer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom