1961 fj40l fst (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Suggestions are always welcome
I suggest you sell me some engine parts. My '62 came without an engine. I seek a period correct look. After years of waiting, I found a dented air cleaner. Yours looks new. I'd love to upgrade.

I suggest you sell me some engine parts. My '62 came without an engine. I seek a period correct look. After years of waiting, I found a dented air cleaner. Yours looks new. I'd love to upgrade.
Word on the street is i can make a 2f look like an f135.

Following along then, although I'm using a later 1F core.

@brian I have done a little digging and have discovered that you clearly operate your Cruisers with purpose and intention. That is an impressive mile count that you have accumulated on your 2/75 40. Well done. Learning of this, I can more clearly see your motive for the 2F swap. This next bit is not directed towards you, but it did get me thinking...

A little background....as most of you recall and clearly stated somewhere around here by @FJ40Jim, our Toyota F series engines were first inspired by GMC (not Chevrolet). I have owned these GMC engines (another unhealthy obsession) side-by-side with my Land Cruiser powerplants. The most durable of these early Toyota and GMC 6 cylinder engines has proven to be a 228ci (3.7L) motor that is original to my 1953 one ton dually. I have owned this truck for 35 years and I change the oil and have rebuilt the carb once....that's it. The capabilities and heroics of this one ton GMC are legendary among my friends and family. 3 yards of gravel on the flatbed for 40 miles...no problem; yank stumps, pull down trees and haul logs...yep, all summer long. I have not yet found a project that this truck and its 71 year old 3.7 liter engine cannot handle. To be sure, this is also equipped with an ultra low first gear (SM420) and a 6:1 ratio in the rear-end.....all stock. It was just made to go slow, carry heavy loads for what appears to be at least 75 years.....all from an engine that is similar, but smaller and less "advanced" than any/all of our F and 2F engines.

For a long time I was unsatisfied with the answers that early F engines were giving me...what I have discovered is that I wasn't asking the right questions.
Dave

What colors were these available in?
Im pretty sure it was grey, judging by the interior....but the red, red is under the grey.
Irrc the redoxide looking stuff is an oe primer?

Also picked up a plate for it..because pa has vintage registration i can run this plate.

20240411_121504.jpg

20240222_151013.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that deep red is probably the primer, but the brighter red looks to be originally. The color on the under side of tool box lid, and the red exposed on the rear wheel wells looks original, that gray color doesn't look like it stuck very well. Try unbolting something, soft top bow mounts or hood hinge or windshield bumper, this might show original color.

Red, white, gray, green, blue i think are early original colors.

I’d guess Seminole Red.

Picked up some reading material as a deal of the day on ebay.
75 for the both of them.
There's just some about the feel paper as you are reading something.

20240416_163531.jpg

Do you have a sideloader transmission?

Got the first drum off, the shoe lining and drum had grown together.
Right rear is turning...sorta but still cant get the drum off....more fire is in order.

20240418_095437.jpg

20240418_095442.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad for having been under water.

got the passenger side rear drum off.
is there a source for the drums, or can later years be used?
i tossed one of the old drums from the rear of the 75 at it this morning and they fit just fine, other than the center opening is much larger on the later year drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom