Hey bsevans - Inquiry about your winch setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
bsevans, I've been contemplating a Ramsey RE8000, because I prefer worm drive winches from experience with military winches. I wasn't sure about what mount would work on the FJ40. Then I saw your photo of the front of your FJ40 on another thread. Can you share info on your setup, please? (Mounting plate, etc?)

Brian in Oregon said:
bsevans, I've been contemplating a Ramsey RE8000, because I prefer worm drive winches from experience with military winches. I wasn't sure about what mount would work on the FJ40. Then I saw your photo of the front of your FJ40 on another thread. Can you share info on your setup, please? (Mounting plate, etc?)
Brian, dude, I'm sorry to tell you... well here goes. When I bought this winch almost 20 years ago, Ramsey still made a mounting system for it to be install in an FJ40. I had it sandblasted and powder coated and that is what you see. If you were thinking about making one I can take additional photos so you can get the idea of what Ramsey did. One thing, this beast just fits in that opening. I bet there is less than an 1/8" clearance to the cross member. The front is made of a piece of angle that has 4 holes to mount to the winch and the holes on top for the roller fairlead and a mounting hole on each end to bolt to the side weldments. The two side weldments are made from 1/4" steel plate with holes to mount to the frame, holes on top to move the two recovery hooks and a hole front and rear for the front and rear winch supports. The toughest piece is the back plate made from 1/4" steel. It has a contour in the bottom edge where the gear box is. Ramsey does not offer it in their catalog, but I would still give them a call and at the very least see if they will give you a copy of the design since they no longer offer it. I can tell you that this mount is some kind of strong. I’ve winched the front of this vehicle of the ground and saw no flex in the mount. Let me know what type of photos or measurements you would want. Oh, the item on the backside of the winch is a setrab PS cooler on to Aluminum mounts I made. The two setrab cooler mounts utilize the mounting points on the winch for attachment
RE8000 02.jpg
RE8000 03.jpg
RE8000 04.jpg

Some additional photos

I have a few more views.
78FJ40 15.jpg
RE8000 05.jpg

Last edited:
bsevans, these photos are exactly what I need. I wasn't sure the RE-8000 would fit, but seeing is believing. I'm not worried that the plate is no longer made.

I realize the popular winch is the 8274, but I'm not into rock crawling as a sport, so fast line retrieval speed is of no concern to me. I doubt I will need to, but if I do need to quickly retrieve line, I'll add butterfly posts.

I recognized the oil cooler as having nothing to do with the winch. Figured it was for power steering, though some cars have oil coolers that small.

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics.

This is the winch plate sold by ccot. My ramsey is mounted on the bottom side. between the frame rails

Last edited:
Brian in Oregon said:
bsevans, these photos are exactly what I need. I wasn't sure the RE-8000 would fit, but seeing is believing. I'm not worried that the plate is no longer made.

I realize the popular winch is the 8274, but I'm not into rock crawling as a sport, so fast line retrieval speed is of no concern to me. I doubt I will need to, but if I do need to quickly retrieve line, I'll add butterfly posts.

I recognized the oil cooler as having nothing to do with the winch. Figured it was for power steering, though some cars have oil coolers that small.

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics.
If I have a long pull distance I have wrapped the cable in a figure 8 around the front of the bumper. Actually, the wire rope you see is not what I normally use. I have a poly line that is 3/8 and 120' in length. I don't leave it on as the UV here in southern AZ shortens the life span too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom