Oil press & volt gage swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tlcperformance.com
Was working on diagnosing a non-functional gauge cluster in a '79 FJ55 today. Learned a few things. (this may already be common knowledge):

The OPSU is pretty much the same on all cruisers from ~74-89. The part number changes in the fiche a few times, but they all seemed to work the same when tested in a running vehicle.

The oil pressure gauge is swappable from an FJ60 cluster right into the FJ55 cluster. The only mod is the mounting studs are too long, so the excess length (sticking out the back) needs nipped off w/ the whiz wheel after the cluster is reassembled.

The 1979-newer shunt-type ammeters never work. So, we forced the voltmeter from the same FJ60 cluster into the FJ55 cluster. Had to drill a few custom holes to accomodate different mounting studs, and then run 2 short jumper wire to the fuel gage +12V and Gnd studs. Now there is a 8V-16V gage in the cluster with a pointer that actually moves around.:cool:

Sorry, no pics, was working on the clock.:rolleyes:

wow...that's some good news on the volt meter...I've been in the process of putting a higher output alternator in my pig and was wondering what I was going to use instead of the ammeter.....

thanks!

bk

Jim, the ammeter on my 78 fj55 does not move although I ran a test and the stock alt. is putting out a bit more than 14 volts; a bit unclear about the swap; have an fj 60 voltmeter that I have as a backup; would rather use the one off the fj60 as they seem to be a lot more dependable.......you mentioned the post 79 ammeters, does this hold true for the 78 and earlier ammeters?....can you share some pointers on this swap;

Lou

wow...that's some good news on the volt meter...I've been in the process of putting a higher output alternator in my pig and was wondering what I was going to use instead of the ammeter.....

thanks!

bk
Howdy! I am running an 80 amp Delco alternator, and it works fine with the stock gauges. Haven't had a problem in over 12 years. I am also running the "one wire" setup on it. Luv it. John

inkpot.........the my alternator is putting out voltage........14.5 V but my pig has an ammeter and it seems that the later ones had a lot of problems...never work according to JC and I personally have never seen one working either; the needle just stays in the middle regardless of how much juice is or is not flowing...............my motor crapped out and without warning because of a bad regulator about 100 miles from home:mad:.........and I do watch my gauges closely......JC earlier wrote about putting a voltmeter off of an fj60 to solve this problem but looking at the back of the fj 60 gauge cluster I just don't see how you can do it..........was wondering if anyone else in the group had done as JC suggested?

Lou

Howdy! Would it be easier to just retro fit an amp gauge from an earlier Piggy? My 76 gauge seems to be holding up OK, and it definitely moves off center, like you would expect. John

that sounds like a good idea..but early pig gauges are scarce in these woods........while fj 60s are plentiful for now.........was wondering how the heck did JC get that ^&)*%$#@ gauge crammed in?:frown:

Lou

bump.....JC are you there?, how the heck did you cram the voltmeter in the cluster?,
Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom