made an offer on my first 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Price is about right but it looks pretty beat. It also appears it was once pretty heavily modified then returned to stock.

Personally I would not buy a rig that was previously modified and ran off road unless I knew a lot of history on the vehicle.

Is this the first one you have looked at? If you are set on this one you might ask someone locally that knows land cruisers to check it out for you.

there are no excuses for Leaks cause its older and miles mine has 607,000+ miles and NO LEAKS and NO Body damage I would offer 2000

It is in the Arvada area.

The Carfax shows a nice clean history for the first 2 owners, and always serviced at Lexus. I dont have any Lexus records yet.

The 3rd owner then apparently decided it was too expensive and sold it to the current owner. The third owner looks like he got it dirty and put the 33" tires on it. and knocked the A/C Dryer off while wheeling. All The A/C lines are capped now. The truck feels solid. Possibly a clicking birfield. But I am expecting to do a front end service on any LC I buy, just for piece of mind.

Current owners situation changed and doesnt want it anymore.

Really the whole thing feels like the 3rd owner rode it hard and put it away wet. And the current owner just doesnt want to spend the money to put it back in good condition. I am confident and capable of doing all my own work and maintenance (with IH8MUD's help of course) and I have a good idea of what I am getting into buying an 80. It will be a weekend/winter driver, not a primary vehicle until I get it together. I figure it is still "salvageable" and shouldnt be put out to pasture yet, and if it finds the right home it will be a good weekend camping Cruiser. (or am I just trying to talk myself into it???)

there are no excuses for Leaks cause its older and miles mine has 607,000+ miles and NO LEAKS and NO Body damage I would offer 2000

It's a Land Cruiser. There will always be leaks :flipoff2:

What really bothers me about the truck is that he has not registered it and has had it for sale since April 5th.

I posted hoping that some locals recognize the truck and have some info. Perhaps someone has looked at it already and walked away from it for some reason that I havent seen.

What really bothers me about the truck is that he has not registered it and has had it for sale since April 5th.

I posted hoping that some locals recognize the truck and have some info. Perhaps someone has looked at it already and walked away from it for some reason that I havent seen.

If it bothers you, run, don't walk away. There are other trucks in better shape than the looks of this one. Patience is your friend searching for an 80. :cheers:

sorry if your has leaks mine don't and I live in Colorado and work on top of Pikes Peak everyday thats 14,000ft one of the highest peaks in the US, and my short bus has 607,000+ miles not to mention original motor and no body damage and when I first bought mine it had 230,000 miles and got it for $2500

mod5csi i would keep looking wait a month and they always seem to come out when gas prices go high

sorry if your has leaks mine don't and I live in Colorado and work on top of Pikes Peak everyday thats 14,000ft one of the highest peaks in the US, and my short bus has 607,000+ miles not to mention original motor and no body damage and when I first bought mine it had 230,000 miles and got it for $2500

mod5csi i would keep looking wait a month and they always seem to come out when gas prices go high

Timber you have 607,000 miles on your 80?
Original motor, has it ever been rebuilt?
Is it a 3FE or a 1FZ motor?
Either way that is very impressive if it is for real
I need to see pictures of that Odometer to believe that.

Price seems a bit high as it appears that she has been rode hard. I paid 2800 for mine. I just waited as the others said till the person was really ready to sell. I would low ball them and then wait.

3fe original buddy i will get that pic tonite and put it up

That is impressive for any 80 regardless of motor
That would have to be the highest mileage 80 out there, well at least on here that I am aware of

Timber I think you need to start your own thread about your mileage it is overly impressive in my book

Condition looks about right for the years. You might want to make the purchase contingent on passing emissions. You can probably get the price down a little as well, and there are many IH8mudders in CO who can probably take a look at it with you. Slee has a great "watch out for" list for 80's on his website. Front oil pump cover gasket, dizzy o-ring and rear main seal leaks are common with that mileage and years (gaskets get old and leak) if it hasn't been rebuilt. Air conditioning compressors and parts can get expensive pretty quickly as well, and the plastic top can separate off the metal radiator, so look for leaks there. Finally, the head gasket are known to go bad back around #6 cylinder. Compression test could tell you a little more. You'll love your 80 series when you finally get one. HTH

Last edited:
here ya guys go 600,000 miles pic taken 3 weeks ago
1993 FJ80 600000_miles.jpg

That is awesome - i am estimating you've gone thru 50,000 gallons of petrol- enough to cripple the Gulf of Mexico in a spill.....

here ya guys go 600,000 miles pic taken 3 weeks ago

Why does your speedo/odo look different than every other 80 series? I call BS on the 600k+ odometer. Looks like you have a way with making grandiose claims...

See this thread where Timber788 made the same claim and it was completely debunked:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/287092-who-has-highest-mileage-80-a.html

He basically screen-capped the odometer from a Toyota Tacoma in this youtube video:

1996 Toyota Tacoma 600,000 miles! - YouTube

Check out this thread where he takes credit for fabricating custom fender flares, which were actually made by jamisobe:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/583458-how-do-you-remove-fender-flares.html

The guy is either a troll or a pathological liar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom