60 Rear axle blues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Fj60 with 37's that broke a axle this weekend. As we all know the aftermarket is limited on replacement axles. I have a lot of time and money in the rear end and dont want to just switch out for something stronger. Looking back maybe but not after lockers trusses, drivelines, disc brake conersion and ruff stuff covers. Who makes custom machined axles in the US for toyota? I have contacted a few and Mark Williams engineering will do it with addition design time if he can cut the splines. Some one must have gone down this road. Anyone have a semi float drive axle built ?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that axle shafts and pinion shafts are wear items. Meaning they get weak and break over time. Kind of like a torsion bar, after a while they just break from twisting thousands of times. Same thing with axle shafts. You may just try new oem. Or you could check with nitro or poly performance-I am pretty sure at least one of the two makes chromoly shafts.

Stick to OEM shafts if this is a DD or sees lots of highway time. Aftermarket shafts don't have the same hardness where the axle bearing rides, and the bearing will chew up the axle shaft.

If you have a trailer queen or don't see much freeway speed, you might be fine with an aftermarket shaft.

I broke the long driver side shaft a few months ago. It sucked getting off the trail, and replacing parts, etc. I'm looking for a FF 80 rear now.

Keep in mind that axle shafts and pinion shafts are wear items. Meaning they get weak and break over time. Kind of like a torsion bar, after a while they just break from twisting thousands of times. Same thing with axle shafts. You may just try new oem. Or you could check with nitro or poly performance-I am pretty sure at least one of the two makes chromoly shafts.
Called nitro, they have full float only poly's have had mixed reviews. RCV gave some leads on custom shafts which are more then a 80 full float with e locker. I guess I could go stock and just not use it hard..........im just not into that sorta thing

Stick to OEM shafts if this is a DD or sees lots of highway time. Aftermarket shafts don't have the same hardness where the axle bearing rides, and the bearing will chew up the axle shaft.

If you have a trailer queen or don't see much freeway speed, you might be fine with an aftermarket shaft.

I broke the long driver side shaft a few months ago. It sucked getting off the trail, and replacing parts, etc. I'm looking for a FF 80 rear now.

Its driven to the trail and back usually 2-3 hours of road time plus around town as much as possible. First time i used the trailer it broke, dam

cruiser 6.jpg

cruiser 1.jpg

welcome to the party ...

I'm kinda the same situation as you are right now .. some coin on my rear axle ( less than you for sure ) and sticking with SF ..

After 2 long axles gone .. one on the parking after turbo test and another in the trail I swap ( with good luck to the good batch ) to the poly performance axles . . so far no problem ..

I'm pretty underpowered .. but I push my poor engine as hard as I can to move those 40" chained and locked,

main.php

Just spent the last 2 hrs on that thing. Had to disassemble the locker to get the pieces out. I have a stock spare, guess that will go in and be done with it for a while. White stripe, stock axle from 1983, so its been around. The splines we not sharp and didnt look abused, i did break on a big step up root that gave everyone some trouble. I would have to send the both axles and side gears plus some set up time for mark to make a batch. pushing a 1,000 by the time its all over. Tapage........the mud bog run looks taxing on axles......Polys? maybe I should rethink them.

Thanks all

I mean mud it's muuuuch more forgiving compared with rocks .. I'm pretty sure that saves a lot of stress on all drivetrain. I have no affiliation just at the time I bought mines ( couple years ago ) there was lot of chat about the bearing seat. I did pull the trigger and so far so good not regretting the leap of faith ..

Although I would like to see another option ( stronger ..? ) than the Polys .. does not seems to be the market for that right now ( and if isn't now, ain't gonna be more later .. )

I ended up ordering a set from Poly Performance, they were 350 shipped. If they give me troubles then a 80 rear with e-lock looks promissing, but for now I am rolling again. FYI I bought the last long rear shaft, they have a few shorts but no 60 longs. E-bay has a few still and I sure someone else but they are becoming extent.

I hope for your sake that they got the heat treat figured out on the bearing surfaces.

I mean mud it's muuuuch more forgiving compared with rocks .. I'm pretty sure that saves a lot of stress on all drivetrain. .....
I'd disagree with that, the chance of shock loading in mud is pretty high. If you have an axle spinning and it suddenly gets traction there are huge forces exerted on all parts.

I'd disagree with that, the chance of shock loading in mud is pretty high. If you have an axle spinning and it suddenly gets traction there are huge forces exerted on all parts.

it might be .. can't argue your comment. I've been wheeling in mud my hole life, and still trusting on my old SF rear, so that means it's really good .. :D

it might be .. can't argue your comment. I've been wheeling in mud my hole life, and still trusting on my old SF rear, so that means it's really good .. :D
That's because there is no solid ground where you live.:flipoff2:

Last edited:
I run 37's. In five years broke at least ten long side shafts. No kidding. Poly Performance: Never broke one, but wore out four of their shafts. The "bad batch" theory doesn't fly. In the end they didn't stand behind their product.

I had Strange make some axles. Problem solved

Cruiser/Ford Hybrid axle

I would ( guess not going to happen right ) really like a super strong SF bolt on solution for us .. I mean like Nitro or someone else make a Poly upgrade ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom