RTT ladders (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I've seen a ton of references to why certain RTT ladders are better/worse but have not really found a comprehensive list of the different options out there and pro's/con's of each design.

I need to replace the factory Gen 1 Mombassa RTT ladder in the near future (I'm actually surprised that it lasted this long) and want to make sure that I'm at least getting something that will function for a while.

Current ladder (not my tent or truck). It does not inspire confidence..

ctt11.jpg

Telescoping...

You could probably get one from Home Depot and mod the ends to mount to the tent base, or contact one of the many tent manufacturers like Tepui and get the parts.

http://tepuitents.com/collections/spare-parts/products/ladder-brackets

They don't have ladders listed, but I recently ordered some parts from them for my non-tepui tent that weren't listed.

I have suggested to look at that kind of telescoping ladder for RTTs before, primarily because of the versatility, but if you can only increase the length a foot at a time that may possibly be a problem. Not sure, never actually tried it myself. I have however used those infinitely adjustable cargo bars for the corners, which helped a lot i think.

Considering that the ladder can be any angle from the tent, I don't see 1' increments as an issue.

from a tent support when you're up there -and also when you're climbing- point of views, you'd want the ladder as close to vertical as possible I would think. So I'd prefer a ladder that is infinitely adjustable. Not that mine (same tent as yours) was, IIRC.

The general design of all those RTTs with one half being supported by a ladder in the middle of the edge, is questionable IMO.

from a tent support when you're up there -and also when you're climbing- point of views, you'd want the ladder as close to vertical as possible I would think. So I'd prefer a ladder that is infinitely adjustable. Not that mine (same tent as yours) was, IIRC.

The general design of all those RTTs with one half being supported by a ladder in the middle of the edge, is questionable IMO.

Never heard of anyone having issues yet, and mines been through some pretty good "home made" earthquakes :)

None of the designs I've seen looked all that robust. If I were doing it I think I would modify a regular extension ladder.

Thanks!

I don't have much experience with the different types, but I like the 2nd generation Tepui telescoping ladder that I have. Some of the improvements over the first one is a better locking mechanism and rounded rungs. This makes a huge difference when climbing the ladder barefoot, the older version with sharp edges were torture. Also the fact that it extends to 8.5" without needing an extension makes it quick and convenient especially on a tall vehicle.

I don't think you want the ladder vertical, that would make it a pain in the ass to get into and out of the tent. I set it up the same as a normal ladder, enough of an angle to stand on it hands free without falling backwards. What's wrong with half the tent being supported by the ladder?

The instructions on the ARB Simpson III say to NOT use the ladder as a weight bearing support for the tent.

The rungs of the ladder on my ARB are flat on top when set at the proper angle. It can be a little off one way or the other but the angle of the flat step portion gives an idea of how to adjust the ladder. I had to add the extra extension for racks higher than 6', which added about 6"-8".

On a side note I get it pretty covered in sand and it still slides easily. That was one of my concerns.

I inherited one of those telescoping ladders from my dad's basement workshop. It's damn stout, but it ain't light. The one I have probably tips 20-25lbs. Not a huge deal when car camping, but something to consider.

CVT offers what many have mentioned here, with the correct adapter already at the top, although it doesn't show in stock.

http://www.cascadiatents.com/Telescoping-ladder.htm?m=83&s=657&&id=163

I had the same tent as OP and my ladder didn't quite hold a family member securely. Now it takes a bit more effort to slide in and out since it's tweaked. Stock CVT ladders seem like they shouldn't have a problem with the same family member.

Micah

I use a Front Runner spare tire step as the ladder that came with my Autohome Columbus is a joke. I did upgrade the ratchet strap from the supplied 1" to a wider 1.5". This leaves a bit more space in the tent for storage.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1439744456.735391.jpg

Not all telescoping ladders are created equal. Even the Tepui ones that I sell have changed and evolved. The current version of the Tepui ladder is quite a bit improved over the previous version.

the new version has much better rung attachments and locking mechanisms for the rungs. IMO these are currently the best option on the market. The sliding type ladders are much more bulky and have more drag when stowed because they'e taller when collapsed. They are equally as susceptible to getting grit in their sliding mechanisms. In my experience they are easier to get fingers pinched an the locking pins can sometimes be troublesome and sticky. Also, the are often too short when used on taller vehicles so you have to buy an additional extension that also takes up room in the truck when it's packed. The telescoping ones (at least the Tepui ones) extend out to a full 8'6" so they'll be tall enough for just about everything but a massive unimog or Mann truck. ;)

Just one guys opinion but I think these are the best option. FWIW, Tepui also sells the sliding type ladder, I just wouldn't choose to use it personally.

i took Phil's advice, and I'm convinced.
i'm in the Clydesdale class (as they say) so just giving the stock one that came with the RTT a dirty look would have put a hurt on it.
106_0099.JPG

easy to throw into the Trasharoo between the liner and the shell. The adjust ability of it is great, and the wider cross section gives you more maneuverability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom