1GR-FE DOHC V6 in FJ40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Has anyone installed the FJ Cruiser 1GR-FEDOHCV6 engine in the FJ40 ?

I saw a muscle car build where they used same brand modern engine in an old muscle car, which got me thinking if I can install a 1GR-FEDOHCV6 in the FJ40.

Is it doable ?

everything is doable!!!! pretty strong v6, I think it would be great, main issue is length. someone feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken but I believe the 4.0 came with either an 5speed auto or a 6speed which would both be pretty long, and plus there transfer cases seem like they are slightly longer as well. if you search you will find a few guys have done the 2uz swaps a couple different ways and they fit but they are tight, you end up with a small rear driveshaft. I'm sure it can be done though!

everything is doable!!!! pretty strong v6, I think it would be great, main issue is length. someone feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken but I believe the 4.0 came with either an 5speed auto or a 6speed which would both be pretty long, and plus there transfer cases seem like they are slightly longer as well.

You are right; the 1GR-FE itself is not too long, but the trans and t-case are long. It would be a tight fit I'm thinking. The 1GR-FE is a good motor though, good torque and hp though the power band is higher in the rpm range than a 2F.

Would love to know if anyone has successfully done something like this and swapped the 1GR-FE into a FJ40 or FJ60. I'm considering it for my FJ62 with H55f and would really appreciate any tips or insights available!

everything is doable!!!! pretty strong v6, I think it would be great, main issue is length. someone feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken but I believe the 4.0 came with either an 5speed auto or a 6speed which would both be pretty long, and plus there transfer cases seem like they are slightly longer as well. if you search you will find a few guys have done the 2uz swaps a couple different ways and they fit but they are tight, you end up with a small rear driveshaft. I'm sure it can be done though!

I'm considering swapping the 1GR-FE into my '89 FJ62 with H55f; if you have any tips or insights I'd really appreciate them!

making it work with the h55f is going to be a problem, better off getting entire drivetrain plus a centered rear axle custom or out of a truck. Plus the 6speed version would be cool!

What is the point of swapping in a 1gr instead of a 1uz? Less power, more expensive, and less aftermarket support. I personally don't understand why someone would choose a 1gr over another engine option.

Hi all,

I believe that Toyota sold the 79 Series pickups in South Africa with the 1GR V-6 as the petrol (gasoline) option.
What manual transmission was used I have no idea.

Regards,

Alan

Hi all,

I believe that Toyota sold the 79 Series pickups in South Africa with the 1GR V-6 as the petrol (gasoline) option.
What manual transmission was used I have no idea.

Regards,

Alan

Thats correct. Same in the GCC, all 71,76,78 and 79 series come with the 1GR V6 mated to the H150 5 speed box. Very few diesels come here, and the ones that do are the fitted with the 1HZ engine R151F box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom