Builds Who likes addition? (FJ-60 + 1HZ) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those that know my wife, I wasn't so much asking for *permission* to paint the truck 6L4, as I was getting her opinion now, in order to avoid 30 years of ridicule for painting a cruiser "booger green."

I showed her the pics, and she agreed it was definitely not "booger green" and that she kind of liked the color.

So..... 6L4 it shall be. :grinpimp:

Dan

so what's the surprise?

YEAH BRO!!!!!!!!!

See. Dad knows what the surprise is. (and it's killer)

The 61 has been running great. I REALLY need to get mine going. Because as much as I love the faux-lux, I adore a diesel 60.

...working on it...

Dan

See. Dad knows what the surprise is. (and it's killer)

The 61 has been running great. I REALLY need to get mine going. Because as much as I love the faux-lux, I adore a diesel 60.

...working on it...

Dan
Yes, it's a killer surprise, Onur. I can't think of any Dan surprises that haven't been good. Patience……..

Will be back in the US next week after a short stay in Bhutan. It may be the Land Cruiser capital of the world, judging by the number of Cruisers (all models) per capita. Thankfully, we've had no tremors now for 48 hours.

Barry

First off, a test of the bedliner I'm planning to use along the bottom of the truck. I ordered the sample color patches from Magnet Paints, and here's the winner:
color test.jpg

I also fabricated the seat mounts for the passenger side. The PT Cruiser seats are easy to bolt in, unless you are like me and want to keep them as low as humanly possible. So I cut the factory 60 mounting brackets down a bit, and welded them onto the PT cruiser sliders.
seat mount 1.jpg

In the rear, I fabricated some brackets. Really easy. I will put a nutsert in the factory seat bracket on the body, and that will be the end of that job!
seat mount 2.jpg

I also blasted a few other parts, in preparation for powder coating. Steering knuckles and stuff. I get 4 and a half days to work on it, so I'm hoping to get a good bit done over the next few days.

Dan

Only two pics today.

Spent much of the day buying parts for the 60 from a local cruiser head, and then chatting the rest of the day.

Good times!

But I did get the knuckles and backing plates cleaned up and powder coated. :)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432700899.733027.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432700911.608474.jpg

Also, here's a better pic of the total seat height:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432700935.933661.jpg

Dan

Looks good but make sure you wire wheel the sealing/gasket surfaces on those knuckles and chase all the threads.... you probably know this already though.

Looks good but make sure you wire wheel the sealing/gasket surfaces on those knuckles and chase all the threads.... you probably know this already though.

Yep! WAY ahead of you. Except I couldn't find my M12x1.50 tap last night, so I'm off to get one this morning to finish it up.

You'd think with as many of these as I have done (I ALWAYS powder coat my knuckle hardware the first time I have it apart, got it on 5 trucks now, not including this one) I'd just keep a little box with the 4 taps I need to clean the threads up...

Dan

Big work the past two days.

I got the drivers seat mounted, with the suspension seat base. It's about an inch higher than the passenger seat, but I can live with that.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432853378.837110.jpg

I got some dry ice and removed the old sound deadening from the interior.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432853330.663513.jpg

And I have started sanding the body down to prep for paint.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432853437.063183.jpg

I'm headed back to work tomorrow, and I won't get back to working on the 60 until late June.

But more sanding today!

Dan

Please tell me what happened when you put water and dry ice in that plastic coke bottle and sealed it!

Disclaimer: do it fast, put a bucket over it and for Christ's sake do it outside.

Please tell me what happened when you put water and dry ice in that plastic coke bottle and sealed it!

Disclaimer: do it fast, put a bucket over it and for Christ's sake do it outside.

LOL!

Would have been exciting, that's for sure!

Pretty incredible just how much the isopropyl alcohol helped the sublimation and made it so much colder!

Dan

google "dry ice bomb" and watch the hilarity

5 gallon pail will go 100' in the air :D

I saw one vid where the perpetrator lingered a little too long and caught the bucket in the head :lol:

google "dry ice bomb" and watch the hilarity

5 gallon pail will go 100' in the air :D

I saw one vid where the perpetrator lingered a little too long and caught the bucket in the head :lol:

Are you trying to get me Patriot Act'ed? :)

Hilarious stuff! Amazing how much force expanding gases makes, isn't it?

Dan

If you want real danger try Oxy-acetylene mixed in a bread bag. Rig up a fuse and run......

be outside and far from any windows :poof:

If you want real danger try Oxy-acetylene mixed in a bread bag. Rig up a fuse and run......

be outside and far from any windows :poof:

Been there, done that. Makes a great "lawn mower". I used a small firecracker, wrapped a single strand of automotive wire around the firecracker fuse, hooked up a battery charger and 50 feet of extension cord,and plugged it in to set it off.

I guess I'm telling on myself.

Don

Yesterday I drove the 61 back from CO for dad, and today I got to play in the shop for most of the day!!

First up: priming some of the things that needed it. Front axle housing, fuel door, new FF axle shaft (for the E-Locker)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434328038.054494.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434328056.358877.jpg

I did some other odds and ends, beat a panel or two, and then decided to throw a coat of primer (I'm using Omni epoxy primer) on the rear quarters.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434328139.333189.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434328154.374066.jpg

You will notice that pulled the windows. It was much easier than I had expected.

Of course I have to go back to work, so no idea when I will get to work on the 60 again, but making progress slowly!

Looks great in a solid cost of primer, don't you think?

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom