1972fj55 brake booster rear seal repair? (1 Viewer)

brake booster repair or easy swap

• replacement part or possible fix ideas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • swap ideas

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone my 1972 fj55 brake booster is leaking out the rear seal next to the pedal when I start the truck I can hear a high pitch squeal coming from the booster I can also feel air coming out of the back of the booster if I can find any advise how to repair it or possible swap that would be easy any advice would be appreciated this truck has been in my since 1974 than was parked in 1983 so no surprise that the Boosters gone out lol

20150522_173817.jpg

20150522_202209.jpg

Hey everyone my 1972 fj55 brake booster is leaking out the rear seal next to the pedal when I start the truck I can hear a high pitch squeal coming from the booster I can also feel air coming out of the back of the booster if I can find any advise how to repair it or possible swap that would be easy any advice would be appreciated this truck has been in my since 1974 than was parked in 1983 so no surprise that the Boosters gone out lol

Welcome!
Your family has had this Pig since 1974? That is cool.
There are boosters you can swap in, and I tried to start an FAQ thread on swapping boosters and master cylinders in the 40/55 section, but no one chimed in to help :meh:
You should be able to find info on swapping in a 80 series booster, or 60 series, Tundra, T-100, etc.
Good luck...

Welcome!
Your family has had this Pig since 1974? That is cool.
There are boosters you can swap in, and I tried to start an FAQ thread on swapping boosters and master cylinders in the 40/55 section, but no one chimed in to help :meh:
You should be able to find info on swapping in a 80 series booster, or 60 series, Tundra, T-100, etc.
Good luck...
thanks:).ya my family bought it in 74 it was a repo they bought it from the Toyota dealership in bara California still has the dealership license plate rack on it so from 1983 to 2013 it set out in a deserted part of the property for all that time I got stared on it when I was 16 with a aluminum can budget literally :) I put the motor back to together with no manual because I could not afford one lol after the gasket kit so the Internet was my guide runs good though lol And it's just about ready for the road again besides the brakes.ok cool thanks for the advice I wasn't sure what the use I also thought about using a 1972 Toyota pick up booster they look the same but I don't know that for sure am going to stick with drum brakes for now and possibly upgrade it later after its on the road again I will take your advice and move it over to the FAQ.thanks for the luck am going to need it lol wish you the same in your land cruiser endeavors :)

You don't have to move this over to the FAQ, I just tried to start one on boosters and m/c because there are enough questions out there about what to do once the original booster is NLA.

Very cool story on your Pig. We need more pics of it!

Drum brakes will be fine once you get them all adjusted.

You don't have to move this over to the FAQ, I just tried to start one on boosters and m/c because there are enough questions out there about what to do once the original booster is NLA.

Very cool story on your Pig. We need more pics of it!

Drum brakes will be fine once you get them all adjusted.
Oh Ok cool thanks for checking up on that for me I appreciate it just still getting used to the site.:)nice!!! I was under the impression that if I was to change brake booster I would have to convert over to disc brake because whatever I got the booster off of would have disc thanks a bunch for clearing that up for me:) that opens up a whole new avenue of options.matter fact I'm working on the pig right now so here's some real time pictures lol

20150527_101123.jpg

20150527_101056.jpg

20150527_101305.jpg

Thanks she is pretty clean minimal rust which is amazing for a pig I had to do some minimal rust work inside the cab because when it sat all those years the heater hoses inside the cab still had coolant so it leaked all over the cap for 30 years plus weatherstripping going out so whenever rained filled with water but amazingly nothing rusted out here's a picture of the work I did on the passenger side front grounded out in use rust converter.the radiators a champion aluminum radiator for an fj40/55 I change the original radiator cuz it was leaking pretty bad it was shot for a lack of better terms so I got this radiator and it seems like it keeps a truck cool but it's a little undersized?I know aluminum is more efficient but still kind of worries me for the future I will send you some detailed pics of the radiator
Man, she looks clean!

What happened to the radiator?

20150527_110837.jpg

20150527_110851.jpg

See how it's under sized? it's a beautiful radiator but for the price I paid for $230 I would expect it to fit perfect you see the yellow Mounts on the side of the radiator i had to make those out of aluminum C channel going to put a electric fan on the front of the radiator help with cooling even if it doesn't need it plus a oil cooler so should help keep the engine temperature down hopefully

20150527_111646.jpg

20150527_111651.jpg

20150527_111704.jpg

20150527_111724.jpg

Vary true but I don't think a radiator shop can fix it I think back in the 70s it ran on a healthy diet of tap water and you know how those old copper radiators take that it's got cracks and holes every which way unfortunately. because if it was savable I would have it boiled out and have the leeks welded.I don't know now like to know what the cost is to have a custom radiator made because I would have one built but unfortunately I'm a vary tight budget I just have to run with the decisions I've made for no now.so Im takeing your deviceI on a T 100 brake booster swap looks super easy sounds like the only think to really need to get is that half inch spacer for it15$ and 50 bucks for one on ebay used of course out of a wrecked t100 but that's fine going to get the braided steel brake lines in front wheel cylinder seal kit from SOR and I think that will get the brakes situated.right now am trying to get my rear tailgate window to lower I took off some wires yesterday and can't remember where they go:bang: on that little bored inside the tailgate

Isn't there a problem with the bigger brake boosters and hitting the stock carb? I'm not sure, never researched.

Vary true but I don't think a radiator shop can fix it I think back in the 70s it ran on a healthy diet of tap water and you know how those old copper radiators take that it's got cracks and holes every which way unfortunately. because if it was savable I would have it boiled out and have the leeks welded.I don't know now like to know what the cost is to have a custom radiator made because I would have one built but unfortunately I'm a vary tight budget I just have to run with the decisions I've made for no now.so Im takeing your deviceI on a T 100 brake booster swap looks super easy sounds like the only think to really need to get is that half inch spacer for it15$ and 50 bucks for one on ebay used of course out of a wrecked t100 but that's fine going to get the braided steel brake lines in front wheel cylinder seal kit from SOR and I think that will get the brakes situated.right now am trying to get my rear tailgate window to lower I took off some wires yesterday and can't remember where they go:bang: on that little bored inside the tailgate

Here is the FAQ I tried to start in 40/55 section:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/master-cylinder-brake-faq.815128/

Custom Radiator:
Delancy's NEW 76 PIGGY ???

Tailgate window help:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-window-article-available-from-gary-s.323706/

Isn't there a problem with the bigger brake boosters and hitting the stock carb? I'm not sure, never researched.
I think I have plenty of clearance from the carburetor but good thing to look for thanks. One thing I do know am going to have to watch for is when master cylinder and brake booster ar together is it going to be too long? and touch the air box?.I got a friend with a 1993 or maybe 95 t100 going to do some measureing of his brake booster hopefully this weekend if the t100 doesn't work I'll use a 4runner setup just a bit more$ that I know will work the other thing I have to look for is to make sure the booster doesn't hit the master cylinder for the clutch.I want to use my brake master cylinder still on whatever Booster i end up doing its brand new but I'm open to using anything though.thanks man will take a look at the links appreciate you takeing the time those are much help man :)hare some pictures of the options that am thinking of and a picture of the one in it now

20150527_101318.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-28-02-39-52.png

Screenshot_2015-05-27-12-42-26.png

This is awesome:) I appreciate it a bunch it's got exactly what I needed to know.I will post some pics of the original radiator later to day maybe it can be saved?.I would like to go with the fj60 brakebooster but tharee$$$ am starting to think maybe 4runner brake boosters because it sounds like people are getting good results out of that still going to stI'll looking at the t100 brake booster going to be doing either one vary soon:D going to work on the Tailgate this evening the link you sent me is a life saver thanks so much man

This is awesome:) I appreciate it a bunch it's got exactly what I needed to know.I will post some pics of the original radiator later to day maybe it can be saved?.I would like to go with the fj60 brakebooster but tharee$$$ am starting to think maybe 4runner brake boosters because it sounds like people are getting good results out of that still going to stI'll looking at the t100 brake booster going to be doing either one vary soon:D going to work on the Tailgate this evening the link you sent me is a life saver thanks so much man

You are welcome my friend! Happy to help...

You are welcome my friend! Happy to help...
I will keep you informed on this thread about the brake booster swap when I do it I'm going to do some detail pictures of the conversion so if anybody else find themselves in this position they have a go to guide for it or at least a detailed conversion.doing the tailgate right now I'll post some pictures if I get it to work lol

I used a Tacoma booster and needed a spacer behind it, to clear the lip on the fire wall.
really? did you use the Tacoma master cylinder too? or did you use the original land cruiser master cylinder? appreciate it if you could put up a picture of your set up

Oh Ok so a Tacoma brake booster and a t100 master cylinder are you happy with the conversion? How is the paddle feel? No rush on the pictures just like to have a visual of how it looks and so others can see it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom