Transfer Case/PTO Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help identifying my transfer case. There's a leaver on the drivers rear of the transfer case that I'm assuming is for a PTO. If there was one, I think it would need to be the rear mount style, but from what I've seen they have a different shifter. I've searched all over and can't find another one.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like an overdrive to me.Definitely not a PTO.

what running gear is in your rig? looks like a split case, but not a Toyota split case.

Look similar to PTO used on firetrucks for driving big waterpump. But disengaging it shouldn't disengage driveline.

Do you know the production month of your 75? Does the shifter move to third position? I have a 75 production with the high/neutral/low shifter on the left side.

Do you know the production month of your 75? Does the shifter move to third position? I have a 75 production with the high/neutral/low shifter on the left side.
Its a 6 of 75 production. The whole truck is pretty interesting because it has factory disc brakes, and the wires have 1976 colors, but its factory Cygnus White (a color that stopped in 75). There appear to be only 2 positions on the leaver, also the 4x4 shifter is the same setup as all the other ones I've seen. I don't know, I'm confused.

So it has both a 2WD/4WD shifter by the front nose cone and hi/neutral/lo lever behind that on top of the case? Toyota brought in a couple of proto type 40s made during 75. One is 9/75 the other is 11/75. These have a Borg Warner full time 4WD setup. They didn't use OEM style cover for the transmission on the transfer case like this one but did have the OEM style hand brake on the back.

So it has both a 2WD/4WD shifter by the front nose cone and hi/neutral/lo lever behind that on top of the case? Toyota brought in a couple of proto type 40s made during 75. One is 9/75 the other is 11/75. These have a Borg Warner full time 4WD setup. They didn't use OEM style cover for the transmission on the transfer case like this one but did have the OEM style hand brake on the back.
No, unfortunately, that would be cool! It has the standard transfer case shifter on the passenger side with the L shaped shift pattern.

Would really like to see more pictures of the transfer case. Does it have the hand brake on the back of the transfer? If this was some type of PTO it is missing the most important part. A flange for a driveline. Does the transmission cover have a hole for this shifter? Does it happen to have the factory floor mate. A few odd things Toyota did have shown up here. It's clearly not a stock split case but may possibly be a early proto type. Or maybe attempt by Toyota to do a full time 4WD of their own before looking at using a Borg Warner setup. Borg Warner was in Japan at the time and had a working relationship with Toyota. JohnnyC has done a lot of research on this. The two full time 4WD proto types may or may not have been done at Toyota plant but if not it was pulled off the line the to be built this way and left Japan as a full time 4WD. Two many things done different to have been converted after being built.

I never thought about it but are you in the US? By your user name maybe not. Not sure the highlanders here are that old.

Would really like to see more pictures of the transfer case. Does it have the hand brake on the back of the transfer? If this was some type of PTO it is missing the most important part. A flange for a driveline. Does the transmission cover have a hole for this shifter? Does it happen to have the factory floor mate. A few odd things Toyota did have shown up here. It's clearly not a stock split case but may possibly be a early proto type. Or maybe attempt by Toyota to do a full time 4WD of their own before looking at using a Borg Warner setup. Borg Warner was in Japan at the time and had a working relationship with Toyota. JohnnyC has done a lot of research on this. The two full time 4WD proto types may or may not have been done at Toyota plant but if not it was pulled off the line the to be built this way and left Japan as a full time 4WD. Two many things done different to have been converted after being built.

I never thought about it but are you in the US? By your user name maybe not. Not sure the highlanders here are that old.

I really appreciate the help. It's all very intriguing. Ill get more pictures after I'm done with class. I am in the U.S. and I have no reason to believe the truck wasn't a U.S model. My Username is for my 99 4runner Highlander Edition that is my daily driver and has been in the family since new.

Although your photos are a little too close the transfer case doesn't look like a Toyota version.

You said that pushing this lever forward disengaged the drive flanges. Is there a possibility that pushing the same lever even farther forward might re-engage the rear output flange? Most transfercases have a nuetral position and are 2WD - Nuet. - 4WD.

The Toyota PTO is/was an add-in gear housing that bolts to the left side and had it's own shifter which would be on the left side. The normal use shifters are on the right side. With the PTO box installed there'd be three shifters in the cab floor.

Although your photos are a little too close the transfer case doesn't look like a Toyota version.

You said that pushing this lever forward disengaged the drive flanges. Is there a possibility that pushing the same lever even farther forward might re-engage the rear output flange? Most transfercases have a nuetral position and are 2WD - Nuet. - 4WD.

The Toyota PTO is/was an add-in gear housing that bolts to the left side and had it's own shifter which would be on the left side. The normal use shifters are on the right side. With the PTO box installed there'd be three shifters in the cab floor.

While it doesn't look like it was a production T case Toyota had some proto types that ended up getting out in to the public. 75 was a time when this happen as there are two other FJ40s made during 1975 here in the US.

The neutral was with the high/low range shifter and not the 2WD/4WD shifter.

Here are a couple of pictures of a transfer case from a early 76. Everything points to being built this way and not modified a sometime later.

022.JPG
023.JPG

Under further investigation I found a stamping on the back of the case that said STROWSKI. After some research, it turns out that it is an aftermarket case made in the 70s that had an option for an extra overdrive or double low. There were apparently very few made and they were quite expensive. The lever does have three positions. From driving it, it apears to be high with the lever pulled all the way back, neutral in the middle and low all the way forward. It retains the factory shifter on the passenger side. Now I'll have to go about making a shifter for it! That will be interesting.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's a few more pictures.

I like odd ball stuff like this. Shifter could be handled by moving the lever 180 degrees then install a PTO shift lever which pivots on a stud the screws into the threaded hole at the front of the transmission top plate. Toyota used a lot different lengths of linkage for hi/lo shifters on older FJ40s. I used one to extend my PTO shifter when I switch from a three speed to a four speed. Cut if off where I needed then threaded it and install the old end. Might have to round the lever over a bit to clear everything or maybe not depending on how high the exhaust is run.

Thought of another option which would also work. Use a shifter from a Fairey overdrive. That would probably work with the lever where it is.

Hey thanks again for the help. Im pretty excited to find this out. I may be able to use a factory T-case shifter if I can't find a PTO shifter. Ill be Working at Redline Landcruisers this summer, so It'll be interesting to see what Justin thinks. I'll keep this updated with progress and my findings.

Last edited:
I need help identifying my transfer case. There's a leaver on the drivers rear of the transfer case that I'm assuming is for a PTO. If there was one, I think it would need to be the rear mount style, but from what I've seen they have a different shifter. I've searched all over and can't find another one.View attachment 1072197View attachment 1072198

I'm now restoring a '72 FJ and have discovered a PTO on the back of the transfer case. It is engaged by a lever on the side, and a cable running from the lever to a knob on the dash is how the driver engages it. If I pull the lever back, it engages with the tranny. The skid plate was cut to make room for it, and it hangs down a bit so it's not very protected. I may remove it because of that reason. Hope this helps, see pics please.

Rear_PTO1.jpg

Rear_PTO2.jpg

Rear_PTO3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom