Ignition Points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a 40 guy but I have always loved the mini's! I was curious and could not find anything under a search if there ever was a mini truck that came with ignition points? Can anyone tell me if they know the answer?

What exactly do you mean by ignition point?

Last edited:
I looked all the way back to the 20R in the '79 Hilux, no points.

Maybe in the 18R before that?

I looked all the way back to the 20R in the '79 Hilux, no points.

Maybe in the 18R before that?

Ding, ding, ding.

May 1972 - August 1974 18RC engines.
PLUS! August 1974 - August 1977 20R.

This is for the trucks and Celica with 18RC and 20R engines from those years.

Ding, ding, ding.

May 1972 - August 1974 18RC engines.
PLUS! August 1974 - August 1977 20R.

This is for the trucks and Celica with 18RC and 20R engines from those years.

Oooh what did KLF win?!?!

Oooh what did KLF win?!?!

I think I won the knowledge that I'm not the oldest "old fart" in this section.

But I still remember setting points. Pita.

It wasn't that setting the points was a PITA. It was that they needed it frequently. Dust and dirt just made them need it even faster.
Factoid: the dune buggy in my avatar had it's Bosch 010 dist. converted to Toyota electronic ignition from a Celica 22R in about 1989.

I learned to set points on the 389 in my '63 Pontiac Catalina that I had in high school. Distributor in the rear of the engine right against the firewall, pita. My dad taught me how using a standard business card.

Still miss that car...

@KLF: Mine was a 1968 Chevelle SS396. What a pain, and that thing needed a tune up once a week to run "right."

Now my question is, "What am I missing?" I bought a distributor from MAF a few years ago when I ordered the 6-1 header. I ordered a spare cap, rotor, points and condenser to make sure I had spares in the event Toyota parts didn't fit. So a few days ago I check my timing and dwell. Dwell is low so I take the cap off and check the points. Boy were they cooked. So I dig out my new set of points and find that there is no pivot pin on the fixed plate. So I removed the pivot pin from the bad point set and installed it into the new plate. Now I find that the diameter of the points pivot is larger than the pin, and the points wouldn't contact in the right place anyway. So doing some research (FJ40 points) I find both styles shown as available, those with a pivot pin and points held on with an "E" clip, and those with no pivot pin. What's the deal? Also, with this new 2F engine the single best reason to go electronic is the oil cooler. Also I now have a heater, so it is getting pretty crowded down there.

ignition points.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom