PZJ75 with an RD28 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I hail form the 100 section, and I have just bought a 1PZ without an engine, it's in pretty bad shape mechanically so a full rebuild is required. Looking forward to that, my first cruiser build, just finishing up my first build - Isuzu 4JX1. (Wizzard, the Rodeo's Japanese version) I have been looking for a 1HZ or 1HD-T, and have a Nissan RD28 on standby, just trying to find a bell housing for it so I can fit the 5 speed 1PZ gearbox onto it.

Panel beating is 1/4 the way through and I am looking for a tailgate, bonnet, floor panel as well as most of the engine compartment. The PO said he rebuilt the diff's and gearbox in prep for a full rebuild, and the "stripped 1PZ engine for 10 years" is what finally led to him selling, but along the way a lot of the bits and pieces found there way onto various hunting cruisers of both his and his friends, so I am attempting to bring a shell back to life.

Will add pics and progress updates along the way, and will need some help with exactly what to do next, which is what this place is great for.

So far I am in about $4.5k, and can see my way to $6.5k as follows

Body on wheels $3,000
Transport $600
Labour to Panel beat $660
Gas & rods for repairing the cracked and rusted body panels $185

Still to find

New tailgate, old one is a true hunting tail with blood rusted dented fully understandable aging : $150 good used
New bonnet, too much cracks and body filler on the current : $180 good but dented used, no cracks or body filler
Paint... Currently olive green, original was Tan like the dry grass on the open veld (fields) $240 in materials
New floor mainly on drivers side, $60 to $150 depending on source

Brake & clutch system complete including lines?

Wiring harness & clock?

Lights: back lights new OEM was $164, found $40 ea non OEM... Will be interesting to see how long they last, the one we have seems to be brittle from? Use? Rattles from the trail? Sun?

All bushes, rubbers, shocks ?

A friend did this recently and ended up buying 3 pickups to make 2, so hopefully I can grab the missing parts I need from him, but he is 450km away.

Engine: I had the RD28 on the farm and tested it out as the motor for a 55kVA Genset, it worked ok, but the starter & radiator are no longer around, luckily I have a starter from amoungst the parts I ended up with

Tyres? I have 7 steel rims and 3 have tyres with a fourth flat, so looks like at least 4 new tyres are in order : $1000 for a set of 235/85-16 GY W MT with Kevlar

Electrical work : maybe $200 for labour & replacing old/broken wires

Anything I have missed please enlighten me, as I am very new to this, I am in no way a mechanic, but have a team that is doing the job, and to my satisfaction, so I will just be the pit crew making sure they have what they need to get the job done, or the manager as most people call it.

Any chance of finding another 1PZ?

1pz engine

Den Breems >> Import-Export Cars
have a 1PZ everything is for sale

Middelland 35a
2931 AK Krimpen aan den Lek
The Netherlands phone: +31 (0)6-53318874

Euro4x4parts.com France
and International
2214 Route Nationale 10
40440 Ondres
France
+33 (0)5 5945 1144

+33 (0)5 5945 1155 (fax)
also very good for info and pieces

PZJ MOTOR 001 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
Roscoe I have found another 1PZ for 4.5k, but needs new injectors.

Hulsky the engine came from a car auction, ex vehicle, I put it on a friends Genset that had no engine, and made sure it worked, then he took his parts back as he needed them so I have a working engine

We can get parts here and they mostly come from Dubai & the other source is the stealership

Roscoe I have found another 1PZ for 4.5k, but needs new injectors.

Hulsky the engine came from a car auction, ex vehicle, I put it on a friends Genset that had no engine, and made sure it worked, then he took his parts back as he needed them so I have a working engine

We can get parts here and they mostly come from Dubai & the other source is the stealership

I will find out from Mr Cruiser down the road Monday, think its Toyota Dubai, but will confirm

The 1PZ turned into a 2L, which is a little underpowered, also think I have a location on a bell housing for the RD28 Nissan 6 cylinder Diesel engine. It's 73kW before I add a turbo, which is not far off a 1HZ in terms of power. Also on a budget for this build, so gonna use as much as we already have and buy what I need, and see what I end up with, hopefully under $8k

Anyways the big question right now is colour... This 75 series started off Sandy Taupe, then became Cruiser Brown, and ended up an olive Green when I bought it +- 20 years later.

Will see if I have some pics

We took this out

image-1208634123.jpg

And replaced it with this

image-3834031519.jpg

Had to braze a few cracks & rusted bits

image-4057684766.jpg

One or 5 mounting holes needed closing a little & grinding, clearly this cruiser had done plenty hunting through washboard roads, have asked where but had no response

image-43567966.jpg

Looks like I will need to replace the steering links & get some power steering to replace a 90 degree play on the wheel with current manual steering

image-528564145.jpg

The tray cleaned up nicely and had one spot to braze & needed a new tailgate

image-4001726557.jpg

So the Big question is "what color" ? Let me know your thoughts...

image-1208634123.jpg

image-3834031519.jpg

image-4057684766.jpg

image-367954466.jpg

image-3595251014.jpg

image-43567966.jpg

image-528564145.jpg

image-4001726557.jpg

The 1PZ turned into a 2L, which is a little underpowered, also think I have a location on a bell housing for the RD28 Nissan 6 cylinder Diesel engine. It's 73kW before I add a turbo, which is not far off a 1HZ in terms of power. Also on a budget for this build, so gonna use as much as we already have and buy what I need, and see what I end up with, hopefully under $8k

Anyways the big question right now is colour... This 75 series started off Sandy Taupe, then became Cruiser Brown, and ended up an olive Green when I bought it +- 20 years later.

Will see if I have some pics

RD28 is a dog of an engine driven them.

Ok so putting the 1pz back together and after a lot of research I decided to try sell the rd28 engine & gearbox I found, and keep looking for a 1hz or 1hd... Cheapest option to date is a 1hd in the UK for £900

yes, 1HZ or (gag) HDT is a better option than the PZ, i LOVE the PZ but it was only made for 5 years so it is fast becoming a dated engine.
you will need the tranny from the HZ as well since the PZ input shaft is too long
but
the good news is the tranny WILL bolt up behind the HZ but you might need to move the shifter and tranny mount back so the engine will fit into the engine bay.

Thanks crushers, looking at the Lexus V8 engine & gearbox too, just the computer box side we are waiting on

Managed to find a 1HZ from a Toyota Coaster bus... With power steering pump and even a choke! Blocked off the choke, and managed to get it started, amidst clouds of white smoke but very happy with my find $1600 :) gotta try run it with water in the system for an hour tomorrow and check if it's good or bad

Then I need to do the build list... Seen it lots on TV... Gonna start with engine, water system, alternator, starter & solenoid so it starts & stops and charges. Then add gearbox and propshafts, front diff needs attention, back diff done. Shackles and bushes done. Got a few new sets of shocks around, once the drive train is sorted I want to put on the tub and get it driving and stopping

you will be happy with the 1HZ results ...
H55 is the tranny you want, not the R151 or H150/1, crap tranny...

Managed to find a 1HZ from a Toyota Coaster bus... With power steering pump and even a choke! Blocked off the choke, and managed to get it started, amidst clouds of white smoke

Why was it blowing white smoke?

Why was it blowing white smoke?
Good question, I am going to run it for an hour tomorrow, hopefully it clears up a bit. I changed the alternator($200), starter($150 to repair the PZ 12V), borrowed pipes and engine brackets to do the test run, will give it a go tomorrow morning, need the 12V heater plugs, the bus ran on a 24v system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom