Inside door handles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
Hey guys I was wondering if you can still get handles for these? Also is there a kit to rebuild them? The handles on the inside rattle a lot maybe around 3/8" play on them.

A lot of Mudders use a piece of rubber hose to cover the handle, I do not think re-built kits are available. I'd use some grease to keep the internal parts from rattling.

Some have made a "washer" out of a plastic container which they cut and then shim the space between the handle and the backing to take up the play. The mudder who did the writeup found even the new replacements rattled.

While you're at it, use some 'Oilite' bushings to rebuild the door hinges to tighten them so they can't rattle. :D

As a short term fix you can try to 'snug' up the back side of the rivet/bolt that holds the handle to the mechanism.

I had so much play on it that the handle would miss the part that actually moves the bolt. I fixed it by grinding of the rivit head on the rear of the assembly (inside of the door) drill a hole in the rivit stem, then tap it and install a bolt with some washer so as you don't squeeze everything together when you tighten up the bolt. I think you'll see that the surface where handle rotates over is worn down at an angle, causing even more play. I used a smooth file to get the surface on the front and back flat again.

I didn't have any pictures. but I can take them if you need me to.

Good luck

lay it on a vice or anvil and tap or smack the rivet until it snugs it down

Has anyone bought the ones from SOR? If so what are they like for quality?

I had so much play on it that the handle would miss the part that actually moves the bolt. I fixed it by grinding of the rivit head on the rear of the assembly (inside of the door) drill a hole in the rivit stem, then tap it and install a bolt with some washer so as you don't squeeze everything together when you tighten up the bolt. I think you'll see that the surface where handle rotates over is worn down at an angle, causing even more play. I used a smooth file to get the surface on the front and back flat again.

I didn't have any pictures. but I can take them if you need me to.

Good luck
A photo would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

The handle on my ambulance door had this same issue. Rattle drove me crazy. I found a skinny E-clip in my parts pile and wedged it onto the shaft between the handle and the plate with a flat head screwdriver. Took up all the slack and has never fell out in over 15 years. Probably can get these for a dime apiece at a good auto parts store. Good luck! :cool:

I think I'm going with a new pair from SOR. Do they come in the right color or will i need to paint them ?
Thanks for all the ideas

I ordered the ones from Cruiser Corps. Swapped the springs from the stock sliding catch into the new one. The aftermarket spring seems weak.

A photo would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Sorry it took a while. Been busy painting the hood...again...:bang:

anyway, i took the door handle apart. Here are the pics..

front and back. You can see the small phillips head screw and large washer
gu6JOw.jpg
dKNKoY.jpg

What used to be the rivit. Grind the back side off. Drill and tap

lcmeHY.jpg

this is one of the areas where a lot of my play come from. The surface was worn down at an angle

z9lkyw.jpg

:beer:

Thanks for the pictures. Makes a big difference when you can see what your talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom