Builds 80 series where to start! Again.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dump it and put woodgrain vinyl wrap down the sides, that's my only input.

:popcorn:

Airbags. Just throwing it out there....

Cool ideas man!

Probably not airbags since I am not looking to just drop it in parking lots. I would actually like to drop the truck around the wheels. Not only for looks but also for performance.

Airbags. Just throwing it out there....

Cool ideas man!

@Golgo13 Since you are a wheel guy you might be interested. These are the guys I have contacted about making the wheels....

http://finspeed.com

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/Finspeed/media/FinspeedPrecisionWheels_zps21fa4454.mp4.html

Dude, that is awesome, but these will no doubt be ridiculously expensive. Of course, since the whole project is going to cost a couple pretty pennies, I guess you don't care.
My first thought is about styling because that plays directly into strength. If you want some help figuring out how to spec the wheel strength, PM me.

Also, FYI, I moved on to steering systems now...

If you're going to make this a street/strip monster, what about losing the front solid axle and going to IFS?
Maybe some 100 series parts could be adopted.

I really like this, if for nothing else, because it is a totally different approach to a build. Everyone wants a sky-high lift, you're going to drop it to sea-level. Pick up some Low-Rider magazines for inspiration. The possibilities are endless with a project like this...

Also, do you have any openings where you work? I wish I had this sort of free time...

This is different. I like different!

I am jobless so that solves the spare time problem. Haha.

Yeah they are more expensive than I would like but they are 1/2 the price of other forged and carved wheels. I wanted to keep the Japanese theme and go with Volks, but couldn't find any that would work. Their large PCD wheels are too small to fit an appropriate tire.

IFS is out of my wheelhouse for this project. Sure someone could do it, but with my budget and facilities it wouldn't be possible.

Dude, that is awesome, but these will no doubt be ridiculously expensive. Of course, since the whole project is going to cost a couple pretty pennies, I guess you don't care.
My first thought is about styling because that plays directly into strength. If you want some help figuring out how to spec the wheel strength, PM me.

If you're going to make this a street/strip monster, what about losing the front solid axle and going to IFS?

I really like this, if for nothing else, because it is a totally different approach to a build. Everyone wants a sky-high lift, you're going to drop it to sea-level. Pick up some Low-Rider magazines for inspiration. The possibilities are endless with a project like this...

Also, do you have any openings where you work? I wish I had this sort of free time...

you're going to need reverse caster correction... that's probably a first.
I bet you can find some Japanese websites with more info on lowering an 80. I know I have run across them before.
Check Yahoo Auctions and you'll find parts that will lead to sites for lowering the truck...

Haha yes I have seen that. I know the LS is cheaper and easier to make power.....

But some of this is me kind of putting up or shutting up about the 1FZ-FE v. LS debate. lol.

You don't see many guys swapping LS's into supras and I think this engine is at least as capable :)

Last edited:
@Golgo13

Well I have been thinking that the Finspeed wheels while great don't really have the look I might want since I am trying to keep the Japan theme. So I went to Ray's website in Japan and they do show a new Large PCD wheel! It is a 20x9.5" TE37 Ultra. It could work with a 295/45 20. Not ideal tire selection in that size but doable. I have email Mackin to see if they can get it, so we will see.

TE37ultra_L_06.jpg

You will also need to consider the aerodynamics side of things as well. Air dam for the front, brake cooling, wing (or spoiler) for the back, ground effects for holding the vacuum at high speed. Didn't LilEvo have some of that?

Adjustable shocks for stiffer ride to control the amount of down force and the unforgiving streets.

Bilt,

You're absolutely right, I will need to consider some of it, but some of it I am not too worried about. There won't be any wings or spoilers for the back. :steer:

But there will be a slight air damn in the front. Brake cooling I am not too worried about as I will be going with an pretty open 20 or 21" wheel so there will be a lot of air flow. Ground effects I won't really worry about, I might use a little of the same material I will do the air damn out of an do something along the pinch weld where the running boards were.

The first part of this is just to get the engine and drivetrain done, get it dropped and get wheels and tires on it.

The initial drop is going to be frowned on, as I am going to do cut coils, but I don't see any real drop coils for an 80. I thought about losing the coil and shock all together and going with a 2.5" air shock with extra res now that king makes one but the capacity is just at the max. I also thought about a coilover but at this point it will just be cut coils. They get a bad wrap because they increase spring rate but that is exactly what I want so should be a fine intermediate step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom